Downloads
    Uploads

6.8 SPC Magazines?

My upper came in and my 6.8 is now in one piece with the exception of mounting the scope. But a great big "stupid brick" hit me right between the eyes. I forgot about mags. So I start googling, and found that PMAG's only fit LWRC manufactured lowers, or at least that's what the description note said. I found several different metal mags that fit the AR lower, but I don't know anything about the quality and reliability of those mags, and at the price they want for them I don't want to make a very expensive mistake. If anyone can recommend a quality and reliable magazine, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Barrett first and PRI as a close second choice. In a pinch 7.62x39 AR mags will work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And if you reload and want to maximize oal, here are PRI mags with the cutout.

http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/pro...ri-mod-mag.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Barrett first and PRI as a close second choice. In a pinch 7.62x39 AR mags will work.
    Thanks Sinner, I was researching the 68 forum, and those were the two most commonly recommended I could find. Searched other forums, and almost every post about mag's (quality, etc..) just devolved into a fight.

I went to the website of the guy that built my upper, and he sells a slightly modified PRI mag that he guarantees will work, all he does is take off the "waffle" pattern at the edges so it makes them quiet during insert/drop. Makes sense. But everywhere I looked, those things (PRI) are EXPENSIVE as hell. Should have put a little more thought into this project than I did.LoL… $78 bucks with shipping for two 15 rounders...ugh...

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    It all comes down to using the mags to capacity. I’ve loaded a bunch of 30 round regular Pmags with 10 rounds each when I was working up a load and they all functioned. It’s nearing capacity the cartridge taper racks the follower.

And you’re welcome

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    And if you reload and want to maximize oal, here are PRI mags with the cutout.

http://www.cavitybackbullets.com/pro...ri-mod-mag.htm
    Thanks Fledge. I quit handloading when I "downsized" and bought a condo. So no real problem with O.A.L. with factory ammo, I'm hoping. And at $50 bucks each for a 10 round mag, I think it would pay me not to handload.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Barrett mags are the only ones that have been flawless for me. The PRI design is excellent, but my 15 rounder seems to have been welded slightly out of perfect alignment such that it will consistently get a FTF on the 2nd (or maybe 3rd, i forget now) to last round in the magazine when loaded beyond that. The round "snags" on the internal waffeling and causes the nose of the round to be held low which then amounts to the round getting wedged against the receiver because it hits below the feed ramp. Most people don't have this problem with their PRI mags, but you will find other reports of problems. Also, many people have good luck with the cheap ASC mags, especially after thy "tweak" the feed lips, but I had major reliability problems with mine.

I'm hoping that with the new calibres needing the same mag that we'll see some new products hit the market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    After my comment I went to Barrett’s site and it appears that they are now selling PRI mags and I see none of the embossed Barrett mags I have. I hope that they didn’t discontinue their 6.8 mags

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    The Barrett mags are the only ones that have been flawless for me. The PRI design is excellent, but my 15 rounder seems to have been welded slightly out of perfect alignment such that it will consistently get a FTF on the 2nd (or maybe 3rd, i forget now) to last round in the magazine when loaded beyond that. The round "snags" on the internal waffeling and causes the nose of the round to be held low which then amounts to the round getting wedged against the receiver because it hits below the feed ramp. Most people don't have this problem with their PRI mags, but you will find other reports of problems. Also, many people have good luck with the cheap ASC mags, especially after thy "tweak" the feed lips, but I had major reliability problems with mine.

I'm hoping that with the new calibres needing the same mag that we'll see some new products hit the market.
    BU, thanks. Good to know, before I hit the range. I won't freaking go crazy ape shit mad if it has some issues that require a bit of a tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    After my comment I went to Barrett’s site and it appears that they are now selling PRI mags and I see none of the embossed Barrett mags I have. I hope that they didn’t discontinue their 6.8 mags
    Good to know. I've had so many years of flawless operations with Magpul, that I've gotten spoiled and have taken them for granted. I've still got a crap load that need to be unwrapped and "proofed".

Sinner, Barrett still makes them. They are now only marked on the bottom but still manufactured by Barrett. I bought them after reading your post. So I have 2 15 round PRI, and 2 30 round Barrett's on the way. So I have nearly $150 bucks tied up in 4 mag's. Oh well, I don't see any thing I'll be defending myself from with a 6.8, unless something tries to attack me in the woods, or something, therefore no need to stockpile 6.8 mags. When I find which one functions best in my rifle, I just pick up a couple every now and then. I'm surprised at the cost and availability of these mags, it's not like the 6.8 SPC is new, unproven or rare, however I guess it is niche market in the big scheme of things in the AR world. You can buy the Barrett's at Primary Arms. Slightly cheaper than PRI's, very slightly.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 10 August 2018 at 16:18.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger