Downloads
    Uploads

Remdial AR Pistol Question

I'm contemplating grabbing "one last lower" to make a pistol lower. This would be my first pistol lower, so making sure I'm understanding the sequence.

- Dealer has lower and transfers it to my FFL.
    - When filling out the 4473, my FFL checks the "other" (I forget the verbiage) box instead of "Rifle."
    - I leave with a lower that can legally be built as a pistol.

Is the above correct? Lower would be new (old stock) from manufacturer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, a stripped Lower transfers as an “other”.

The transfer process itself is the same

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never had to specify, they just automatically transfer them as "other"

Downloads
    Uploads
    As I understand it what the FFL designates a lower in the transfer has no bearing on what type of gun can be built. The parts attached are the sole determiner of the legal definition. Of course the stupid once a rifle always a rifle applies.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    As I understand it what the FFL designates a lower in the transfer has no bearing on what type of gun can be built. The parts attached are the sole determiner of the legal definition. Of course the stupid once a rifle always a rifle applies.
    This is one of those areas that generates a lot of discussion about the "letter" of the law. Technically, if an FFL goofs up an transfer the stripped lower "firearm" as a "rifle", the ATF could consider that as evidence that the firearm started off life as a rifle, and therefore can't be converted to a pistol. As a result, I have a rather silly habit of building all my lowers into a pistol configuration, taking a few pictures, then doing with them whatever I want to after that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks all.