Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seperate Thread

Downloads
    Uploads

Seperate Thread

Edit, post from copy and paste on facebook accidently copied into WEVO.

Last edited by FortTom; 30 August 2018 at 07:08.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Wish there was more going on here other than just 5.56 , and 7.62, I'm as guilty as hell, when it comes to that, also. The board seems to be dying, I hate to see it. I wish I could do something, anything to crack a joke, just to get some activity going up. The very least I could do would be to drop my drawers, and see if that camera thingy that supposedly works on my pc.

I guess Maraoso, or what ever the hell her that bitches name is going to kill Trump , or all 5 other media outlets are going to do oops! I was going to destroy myself, going to get that wrond. Ohhhhh…..shit Kenny (my cousin, a great young kid, who could think for himself...)
    Board activity is dying across pretty much most of the sites I go to. Even arfcom and m4c have way less traffic than they did when I first started visiting them in 07/08 ish. Just been a huge migration over to social media. There are only so many hours in the day, so I totally get it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suspect forum activity is generally a bit lower in the summer, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I suspect forum activity is generally a bit lower in the summer, too.
    One board I really miss is SGN from about '11-'13 Those were the good old days. Too bad Norm ran that board into the ground.

HKPRO, Arfcom, M4C, Snipers Hide, still visit them all, but much less frequently nowadays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I enjoy the photography here and vendor participation. Asking a question then having Arisaka answer back is real nice. And that's who I'll buy from. On the flip side, Aaron from Lantac suddenly disappeared from the Forum after his self-imposed Xmas deadline lapsed on the RPS. What's up with that? I enjoyed Aaron's comments on a variety of Lantac products.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am probably the oddball here (as usual) but I am shying away from a lot of social media. I was (very) reluctant to get into it at all and now I am just about ready to say screw it to most of it.

Personally I prefer the board to the FB wall any day.

I think specific to gun forums and social media and all that we are seeing a shift in the who, what, where, and why. There are plenty of us who like our guns and have never tired of them. That said there are a bunch of people who would say join a forum when they bought a new gun, only now that is kind of slowing down a lot. I guess bringing new people into the flock is kind of slowing a little.

Also you have the flat out censorship of social media. Youtube, FB, whoever. People in the gun community are kind of tired of it. Heck even gun channels on Youtube it seems like a lot of the content value has gone down to some degree. I love watching gun videos but keeping it fresh is not so easy.

The whole social media thing is definitely going to need to reinvent itself to stay relevant. Maybe I am just getting old but I am sick and tired of the fuckoffs at Youtube or FB deciding for me what I want to see who's post is more important to me, or having my online life being ran by an algorithm

For the gun world though the forum is the place to be IMO. Every time I want to learn something new guess what I do? I go to a forum and ask people. Whether it's reloading cast bullets or building my first AR that was the first stop always for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I enjoy the photography here and vendor participation. Asking a question then having Arisaka answer back is real nice. And that's who I'll buy from. On the flip side, Aaron from Lantac suddenly disappeared from the Forum after his self-imposed Xmas deadline lapsed on the RPS. What's up with that? I enjoyed Aaron's comments on a variety of Lantac products.
    Phil,

You just have to understand that Aaron is a one man show when it comes to production at Lantac. He's tasked with a ton of stuff there, so admittedly there are only so many hours he can even respond on message boards or social media. He's still working hard on the end plate/castle nuts if you're still interested in one of those, or our Fortis End plate/Castle nut buy is going live very soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I am probably the oddball here (as usual) but I am shying away from a lot of social media. I was (very) reluctant to get into it at all and now I am just about ready to say screw it to most of it.

Personally I prefer the board to the FB wall any day.

I think specific to gun forums and social media and all that we are seeing a shift in the who, what, where, and why. There are plenty of us who like our guns and have never tired of them. That said there are a bunch of people who would say join a forum when they bought a new gun, only now that is kind of slowing down a lot. I guess bringing new people into the flock is kind of slowing a little.

Also you have the flat out censorship of social media. Youtube, FB, whoever. People in the gun community are kind of tired of it. Heck even gun channels on Youtube it seems like a lot of the content value has gone down to some degree. I love watching gun videos but keeping it fresh is not so easy.

The whole social media thing is definitely going to need to reinvent itself to stay relevant. Maybe I am just getting old but I am sick and tired of the fuckoffs at Youtube or FB deciding for me what I want to see who's post is more important to me, or having my online life being ran by an algorithm

For the gun world though the forum is the place to be IMO. Every time I want to learn something new guess what I do? I go to a forum and ask people. Whether it's reloading cast bullets or building my first AR that was the first stop always for me.
    I think people ... at least some people will float back to the forums. It used to be that when you were a newbie in any hobby, you'd get treated like shit as a new person asking questions on a board. Now that's the attitude I see on social media. People being treated like shit, including subject matter experts, and professionals. It's given bubba and trolls a sounding board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Phil,

You just have to understand that Aaron is a one man show when it comes to production at Lantac. He's tasked with a ton of stuff there, so admittedly there are only so many hours he can even respond on message boards or social media. He's still working hard on the end plate/castle nuts if you're still interested in one of those, or our Fortis End plate/Castle nut buy is going live very soon.
    Thanks.

I have no dog in the RPS hunt but I had planned to purchase a Fortis K1 with a WEVO code to save a buck.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 15 August 2018 at 13:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you click on any of them, they'll show not in stock. They just wanted a place holder until they were ready to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I think people ... at least some people will float back to the forums. It used to be that when you were a newbie in any hobby, you'd get treated like shit as a new person asking questions on a board. Now that's the attitude I see on social media. People being treated like shit, including subject matter experts, and professionals. It's given bubba and trolls a sounding board.
    On many forums people just show how "in" they are or what they pretend to know. My uncle was in Vietnam so I know all kinds of stuff about your Gucci ARs type people. Some people just show their ass in public.

That's one reason why I like WEVO. A lot of that asshole behavior isn't part of the fabric here. People are assholes but it's in jest and good fun. :)

Really the moderators make a big difference in any forum. I was briefly a member of rimfire central and their moderators suck. They banned people at will who didn’t follow their political beliefs. The one who banned me for a month was a supposedly "pro gun" Hillary supporter. I didn't even make an overt political statement but she took offense and handed out month long bans within my first 5 or 6 posts.

On social media I don't see it ever having any real discussion of any quality on that type of platform.

Both platforms have pros and cons but forums imo are overall better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many reasons.

Summer: people travel and do family things.

Economy: people have more money to expand hobbies and interests.

Fatigue: people are just tired of the gun issues and need a break from it

Urgency: no proposals that would cause a panic buy are on the horizon leading to renewed interest.

Threats: based on the hatred and lack of respect from the gun lobby against a myriad of companies targeting gun owners, many are keeping a lower profile until we see some changes. This is from social media to banking to general tracking of innocent people.

We can go on and on. Welcome to the summer of 2018.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Really the moderators make a big difference in any forum. I was briefly a member of rimfire central and their moderators suck. They banned people at will who didn’t follow their political beliefs. The one who banned me for a month was a supposedly "pro gun" Hillary supporter. I didn't even make an overt political statement but she took offense and handed out month long bans within my first 5 or 6 posts.
    Some forums don't want the headache of politics even in Lounge areas because bad blood resulting from political bickering spills over into gun sections. Also, gun guys tend to be conservatives and often pile-on liberals resulting in alienating them. And some of those liberals have lifetimes of valuable firearms knowledge to share. Smith and Wesson Forum is an example. One of the highest volume gun forums on the Net with thousands online at any given time during the day. S&W historical and collector knowledge on that forum is beyond impressive. Zero tolerance for anything even remotely political. Membership seems to appreciate it.

That said, the wife just got back from NYC last night. Naturally, she went to Trump Tower. Brought me home a gift for my office desk. I think I'll keep it flag side showing. While I'm a 'big league' supporter, Trump starring at me is a bit too weird.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 15 August 2018 at 17:15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Some forums don't want the headache of politics even in Lounge areas because bad blood resulting from political bickering spills over into gun sections. Also, gun guys tend to be conservatives and often pile-on liberals resulting in alienating them. And some of those liberals have lifetimes of valuable firearms knowledge to share. Smith and Wesson Forum is an example. One of the highest volume gun forums on the Net with thousands online at any given time during the day. S&W historical and collector knowledge on that forum is beyond impressive. Zero tolerance for anything even remotely political. Membership seems to appreciate it.
    The thing is what we were posting about was back during election time and there was a thread about the HPA or something of that sort (I didn't start the thread just commented on it). No one came out and said 'Hillary is horrid skank ho' or anything like that. The absolute most political thing said was 'if Hillary wins forget about it'...(Uwone would have chimed in and said 'whoever wins forget about it)

The whole thread got nuked as did everyone that commented on it for good or bad.

In a private message after being notified that I had a 30 day ban I asked why I got suspended and the response was 'now it's two months' followed up by several insults (from that particular moderator) with a 'don't you question me you sorry f##k'.

One month ban because somebody on the thread mentioned Hillary and one month because I asked why I got a 30 day ban. 60 days total.

Like I said, heavy handed moderating is sometimes useful to get rid of trolls or spammers, but something like that were 7 or 8 people all got the hammer at once and for that... this is what I am talking about about. They had a big dust up afterwards because people started asking 'what happened to _____?' (referring to some of the long term posters over there and everyone who asked, they got the hammer too.)

To me this was a clear example of how a (bad) moderator can ruin a board. It's the mod's job to call balls and strikes but that went way over the line in my (and a bunch of other people's) book.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 15 August 2018 at 17:35.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of those older forums, some gone, some still around had a "core" group, or clique, if you will, and assumed anyone outside of that group as just worth having to keep their numbers up.
    About 8 or 9 years ago I was researching and reading every thing I could find on NiB BCG's. I did a google search and a couple of conversations came up on forums. In order to get in on those conversations, I had to register. Of course, then they would give you the snotty (Newb) title under your avatar. I think it was ARF but I'm not sure. So I did the proper thing and did the little introduction thread. Then I posted in the conversation, and I got a bunch of gang rape comments like "don't worry you fkn newb" learn to shoot your rifle first, and it just got worse than that. I replied with something to the effect of "F-U" you bunch of short dicked, self important, no self esteem assholes, Did your boss at McDonalds give you a hard day?" Something like that, close but I don't really remember.

Bam! Got banned immediately. I don't know that if they knew being banned didn't hurt, or require on going treatment with a shrink, I just figured they were assholes and they were doing me a favor.

Turns out a friend of mine, who turned me on to them in the first place PM'd one of the mods, showed them what was done to me, and told them to read the introduction, and that I had slightly over 20 years in the military, and had probably shot a box or two of ammo. I got an email and was told I could come back. Never did, but years later (recently), I tried to log in and it worked. I stayed a while, but it was just a bunch of assholes arguing about whether the sun would come up, so I left. To this day I still don't consider myself an AR guru, especially with new tech coming down the pike all of the time. But in those years folks were pretty brutal to new people on their forums. I used to wonder why their sponsors bothered staying.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper