Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8.6 Creedmoor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not just stacking but shoulder angle for chambering.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Yes. The Yeti is designed to work in an AR15. Still, I imagine it would work okay in an AR10 with something like a Sierra 225gr SBT.

The question is how well the Yeti or Winchester cartridge works in a standard AR10 mag. Will they stack okay and give full mag capacity? This might be why Q went with a .338 bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Ok I can definitely see that.

My interests in most all firearm related things is as a whitetail deer and hog hunter. That said .308 does most everything I’d need, the larger bore aspect draws me in mostly because I had the pleasure of shooting a guys .358win Ruger M77 at a range and was intrigued with how similar the cartridge dimensions were to .308 except for the case neck and bullet diameter. I haven’t loaded a LR308 mag with.358 myself, but it appears Dtech has success with it in large frame AR’s. I’m not currently hand loading so getting ammunition off the shelf has more appeal than wild catting. The .358win is a really hard hitting round, only about 100fps less than .35 Whelen. I’m glad to see more innovation happening in the large frame AR market most of all even if it’s not something I’d personally get into.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The .338 Federal walks all over the .358 Winchester. Close to 500 ft lbs more muzzle energy correctly hand loaded. In fact the .338 Fed only gives up about 300 ft lbs to a .300 Winmag at the muzzle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    The .338 Federal walks all over the .358 Winchester. Close to 500 ft lbs more muzzle energy correctly hand loaded. In fact the .338 Fed only gives up about 300 ft lbs to a .300 Winmag at the muzzle.
    Damn didn’t realize that, thanks for that info!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like the old 338-06 vs 35 Whelen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It’s crazy when reading about folks that have hunted with those four cartridges the two 35 calibers are claimed to kill faster than their kE numbers would make you think. The main draw I’ve got to the .358win is two fold, when I do start handloading it can be loaded with .357 pistol bullets all the way to heavy rifle bullets. The other reason is the two states I hunt allow single shots 35 caliber and larger for primitive weapon deer season. I also rarely encounter shots on game further than 200 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You bring up something really interesting; the "ethical" shot while hunting. I think this terminology was created by either a bored-ass hunting mag writer, or due to the number of idiots in today's society, it has to spill over into the hunting crowd. They guys I learned to hunt with, if you took a shot you knew you couldn't make, or gutshot an animal on purpose because that's all you had, you would be picking your ass up in pieces because they'd apply a liberal helping of boot to it. Kinda like golf: know your ranges and don't shoot past them.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    You bring up something really interesting; the "ethical" shot while hunting. I think this terminology was created by either a bored-ass hunting mag writer, or due to the number of idiots in today's society, it has to spill over into the hunting crowd. They guys I learned to hunt with, if you took a shot you knew you couldn't make, or gutshot an animal on purpose because that's all you had, you would be picking your ass up in pieces because they'd apply a liberal helping of boot to it. Kinda like golf: know your ranges and don't shoot past them.
    I’d say it came about from a combination of both, someone had to clean up behind ole ass shooting Jack O’Conner LoL. Taking quick killing shots was so instilled into me as a kid that I’ve passed on more good bucks than I can count even though most of my hunting’s been with a 7mmRM. And I still can’t help applying that to both hogs and coyotes even though they’re such pests here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve killed just about every animal in North America and the bigger diameter bullet myth is horseshit. The only thing that matters is enough energy being deliver at impact to expand the bullet. There is not an animal on this continent I’d hesitate to hunt with a 6.5CM under 700 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    An arrow works just fine so......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I’ve killed just about every animal in North America and the bigger diameter bullet myth is horseshit. The only thing that matters is enough energy being deliver at impact to expand the bullet. There is not an animal on this continent I’d hesitate to hunt with a 6.5CM under 700 yards.
    I hope I didn’t come off being argumentative or holding your info in disregard! I definitely respect your experience. It’s usually voices like yours that make me look at things more pragmatically.

I think like most folks in this hobby, especially with AR type rifles ability to swap caliber by changing uppers I get caught up in the “next conquest” after each build I’ve done or at least pipe dream about other calibers. Seeing your post makes me think my .308 is good enough for anything I’ll ever hunt in my region. If I honestly build a second upper for my Aero M5 I’m pretty torn between it being a 7mm08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, I slightly lean towards the 7mm08 because I plan to eventually handload and have a 7mmRM I’d be able to share projectiles between and have an easier time with reworking .308 brass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    An arrow works just fine so......

Very much so! As does a 180gr 10mm at 1250+fps.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I kill everything with a pencil. A FUCKING PEN-CIL!!

There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    I hope I didn’t come off being argumentative or holding your info in disregard! I definitely respect your experience. It’s usually voices like yours that make me look at things more pragmatically.

I think like most folks in this hobby, especially with AR type rifles ability to swap caliber by changing uppers I get caught up in the “next conquest” after each build I’ve done or at least pipe dream about other calibers. Seeing your post makes me think my .308 is good enough for anything I’ll ever hunt in my region. If I honestly build a second upper for my Aero M5 I’m pretty torn between it being a 7mm08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, I slightly lean towards the 7mm08 because I plan to eventually handload and have a 7mmRM I’d be able to share projectiles between and have an easier time with reworking .308 brass.
    I always come off as argumentative, just ask my wife. Lol I didn’t take it like that at all. I hear the bigger bullet argument at almost every hunting camp I’ve been to. I think most go overboard and their flinching and fear of the shot is the reason they have poor shots.

The 7mm08 is a decent round but honestly the CM is a phenomenal round. I’ve shot or have been beside the shooter for 3 elk kills with the CM in the past 5 years. Including a cow I shot at around 650 yards. One shot kills on all three. The increased velocity from reduced drag really shows on that round past 300 yards.

Especially the English language.