Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

New Frontier Armory AR45

New Frontier Armory is a manufacturer/retail organization In Las Vegas. Their web site states they are the manufacturer of all components related to the AR45 in this review, except sites and magazines.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/

While they do not sell complete firearms on their web site, you can purchase a complete lower and a complete upper in an AR style platform in multiple calibers and configurations.

This review is for one of their AR45 Pistols. All components were purchased from their web site at their retail price structure. I have no relationship with New Frontier Armory, nor am I receiving any compensation for this review.

I placed my order on a Thursday afternoon, and it arrived at my FFL dealer on Monday. It was well packaged, and arrived without damage.

I selected their “Slick Side” complete upper with an eight inch match barrel. It has a seven inch MLOK rail and an A2 style birdcage. The muzzle threads are 5/8-24. The Picatinny top rail slots are not marked.

Features (quoted from their web site)
    Specifications and Features of the Billet AR-9/45 “Slick Side” Upper with LRBHO:
    • Machined from 7075 T6 aircraft grade billet aluminum
    • Matte black hard-coat anodized per Mil 8625 Type 3 Class 2
    • Compatible with all standard AR-15 / AR-9 components and most aftermarket parts
    • Manufactured to MILSPEC on state of the art CNC equipment for consistent quality parts and exacting tolerances
    • Designed to match lines with New Frontier Armory C-9 & C-45 Billet Lower
    • Contains integrated Last Round Bolt Hold Open (LRBHO) technology (PATENT PENDING) that reliably holds the bolt open when magazine is empty
    • LRBHO feature is designed for lowers that accept Glock style magazines
    • **NOTE — This upper is not machined for a gas tube as it is intended for blowback gas systems only
    I selected their Complete C-45 Pistol Lower – Shockwave Pistol Brace.
    Features (quoted from their web site)
    Specifications and Features of the C-45 Stripped AR-45 Lower Receiver:
    • Machined from 7075-T6 aircraft grade billet aluminum
    • Matte black hard-coat anodized per Mil 8625 Type 3 Class 2
    • Precision machined magazine well with beveled feed lip for easy mag swaps
    • Machined and engraved to be compatible with 45 and 60 degree short throw fire control selectors such as the BAD_ASS ST 45 Lever
    • Caliber marking of “Multi” so it can be used with different pistol caliber uppers
    • Compatible with most standard AR-15 components and most aftermarket parts
    • Take down pin spring and detent hole is threaded for a 6-32 set screw for easy capturing (hardware included)
    • Upper tension screw behind grip screw (threaded hole with hardware included) to adjust any “slop” out of vertical fit between upper and lower
    • Ambidextrous trigger finger rests with grooves (above and below mag release / mag catch)
    • Threaded bolt catch pin (Threaded hole and hardware)
    • Integrated large opening “winter” trigger guard
    • Proprietary magazine catch assembly and ejector is included and installed at the factory
    • Manufactured to MILSPEC (where applicable) on state of the art CNC equipment for consistent quality parts and exacting tolerances
    The anodized finish is smooth, and the upper and lower show no tool or machining marks.

To complete the “build” I ordered a set of MagPul MBUS Gen-2 sights and a Sig Romeo 5 RDS. In addition to the Glock 21 factory magazines that I have, I ordered three SGM 26-round magazines from Palmetto, and three 26-round KCI magazines from New Frontier. Some YouTube videos suggested there might be an issue with feeding from the SGM magazines, so I also ordered three Wolfe 33-round extra power Glock magazine springs. These were not required during range testing.

As the lower receiver is “mil-spec” a standard fire control setup came installed. The trigger had a very short take-up and even less over-travel. It broke crisp and clean. However, the average pull weight (ten pulls on a digital scale) was six pounds fourteen ounces. My preference is a lighter pull weight. I had a new CMC Lantac E-CT1 trigger in the parts bin, and installed it without any installation problems.

However, I seem to be a defective trigger magnet. The CMC failed to reset twice during ten dry function tests. I left the CMC installed anyway, and range tested the completed unit at GriffonSec’s range. I used Winchester White Box, Blazer aluminum, and my 200 grain SWC reloads. I zeroed the MBUS sights at 15 yards and the Romeo 5 at 25 yards. At that range, the pistol stayed well within a two inch “Shoot-n-See” target paster. Accuracy was not an issue. The CMC trigger failed to reset two to three times per magazine. While GriffonSec was running plates with the pistol, it doubled once. Testing was over. We ran about 400 rounds through the AR45 with no malfunctions other than the trigger, and one issue detailed below. The pistol ejected cases about ten feet, landing between 4 and 5 o’clock.

I have pulled the CMC trigger and contacted the manufacturer as to how they want me to proceed. I replaced it with a HiperFire EDT Heavy Gunner fire control system. I have two other units with HiperFire triggers, and they work.
    During testing we encountered an issue that I have determined to be self-induced. An email conversation with their Customer Service provided the insight. Their CS was quick to respond and very helpful. Give them an “A” for their customer service.

The last round bolt hold open feature stopped working after three magazines. This feature consists of a steel rod with a hook on one end, and a 90 degree bend on the other. The hook is internal to the upper and engaged by the magazine follower and pushes the external bend against the paddle to activate the bolt catch. Apparently, while ejecting a live round after a failure to reset, I may have been a little too aggressive and allowed the bolt to hit the hook end and slightly bent it forward – just enough to be off the follower. There is a groove in the upper for the hook to ride in during normal cycling, a small adjustment with needle nose pliers to re-align the hook with the groove, and all is well. I do not fault the design for this issue.

Pricing at the time I placed my order:

8” complete upper $444.95
    Complete C-45 Pistol Lower – Shockwave Pistol Brace $399.99

They offer 4” 8” and 16” barreled uppers, and a side-charger upper is also available.

This is the AR45 “as received” with the exception of the magazine.

IMG_3538 As Received by Jerry R, on Flickr

The buffer and spring – buffer weight is 8 ounces.

IMG_3710 Buffer and Spring by Jerry R, on Flickr

The bolt carrier does not have a separate bolt, and contains what appears to be a 1911 style extractor that is pinned in place. The hole in the top of the carrier is where the pin is located.

IMG_3713 Bolt Carrier by Jerry R, on Flickr

IMG_3569 Bolt Carrier by Jerry R, on Flickr

The proprietary LRBHO internal “hook”:
    IMG_3711 Barrel Breach Face by Jerry R, on Flickr

And the part that rides against the Bolt Stop Paddle:

IMG_3547 Bolt Catch Rod by Jerry R, on Flickr

The ejector is shimmed and screwed in place in the lower receiver, size is more than adequate for the task:

IMG_3564 Lower Left Side by Jerry R, on Flickr

IMG_3565 Lower Right Side by Jerry R, on Flickr

I added MagPul MBUS sights and an Arisaka Finger Stop

IMG_3547 AR45 Upper-2 by Jerry R, on Flickr

I replaced the A2 style grip with a BCM Gunfighter Mod-0, and adjusted the blade brace.

IMG_3551 Grip Sights Trigger Mag by Jerry R, on Flickr

While waiting on an end place QD for a single point, I put on a Strike Industries MLOK QD and will run it with a two point sling until parts come back in stock.

IMG_3552 SI Sling Swivel by Jerry R, on Flickr

Having shot a friend’s AR pistol that had a Sig Romeo 5 RDS, I selected that for this pistol. A nice, inexpensive site that seems to work well.

IMG_3570 Sig Romeo 5 by Jerry R, on Flickr

The completed pistol:

IMG_3571 Finished AR45 by Jerry R, on Flickr

Visited GriffonSec to zero the pistol and ran about 400 rounds through it. I was very pleased with the accuracy. Target shown is a 25 yard target with ten rounds of Blazer aluminum ball in the center, and ten rounds of my 200 grain SWC reloads in the upper right square. Both groups were bench rest and are POA/POI.

25 Yard Zero by Jerry R, on Flickr
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jerry, curious what CMC told you how to proceed?

As pistol caliber AR's become more and more popular, it seems like we're figuring out there are geometry differences as far as trigger function, thus AR triggers are now not recommended for pistol caliber use. I know CMC is coming out with their pistol specific trigger. What changes vs the AR15 version however, I have no idea.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMC has not responded. I will send a second note this week. To me, failure to reset is an issue that should not be platform specific unless there are significant geometry issues in the bolt carrier and how it depresses the hammer. The Hiperfire passes (so far) dry function testing without failure. I will be range testing it fairly soon to verify. I inspected the New Frontier hammer, trigger, disconnector, and they appear "mil-spec". At this point, my only suspect is the CMC. I will update this thread with any new findings.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMC returned the trigger today - with repairs. Apparently, the hammer was defective.
    Name:  IMG_3809 CMC Returned Trigger.jpg
Views: 7060
Size:  987.3 KB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    CMC returned the trigger today - with repairs. Apparently, the hammer was defective.
    Name:  IMG_3809 CMC Returned Trigger.jpg
Views: 7060
Size:  987.3 KB
    Is that the new PCC designated trigger from CMC?

They were at Triggercon and announced triggers specifically for pistol caliber carbines. Here is the video that Chris Tran did.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Is that the new PCC designated trigger from CMC?
    No, it was old stock (CMC Lantac E-CT1) from Palmetto purchased during a sale.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    No, it was old stock (CMC Lantac E-CT1) from Palmetto purchased during a sale.
    It looks like you have the trigger situation sorted, but if anyone has a situation report for the new PCC triggers I would like to hear and get an update.

Apparently according to the video the compatibility problems were a known issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So how does she shoot now? Did the fix work?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    So how does she shoot now? Did the fix work?
    Going to GriffonSec's on the 10th of October to wring it out. Passes function test every time now. But ... I put a HiperFire Heavy Gunner FCG in it. The CMC went into the parts box for the next build. I didn't know when/if the trigger would be returned or replaced.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ide like to do a pistol in 9mm someday..
    is the HyperFire a PCC trigger..?
    If not Why did it work..?
    Im learning here..
    Last edited by ZhouJett; 21 September 2018 at 18:00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhouJett View Post
    Ide like to do a pistol in 9mm someday..
    is the HyperFire a PCC trigger..?
    If not Why did it work..?
    Im learning here..
    No, the HiperFire is a standard "mil-spec" hammer/trigger/disconnector. I believe it works due to New Frontier Armory's parts design staying close to the AR originals. A friend has a NFA AR45 too. He put a HiperFire in his and ran it this past weekend. Couple hundred rounds with zero MALFs.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was two fold on the issues. One was a clearance issue with the bolt carrier slot and the hammer. The other was a failure to reset due to bolt speed. Supposedly a slight tweak to the geometry and a narrower hammer was the fix.

I have PCC bolts from 2 different manufacturers and neither one has a narrower than Milspec hammer slot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanN View Post
    AR-45 pistol?
    I want to build an AR-45 pistol anyone know where I can buy a lower/upper receiver? Im not much for the .22 or the 9mm.
    https://www.quartercircle10.com/prod...-s-prcu-s.html

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/pr...wer-receivers/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Expect an in depth update after this weekend soon. Ran in to quite a few issues this weekend on both New Frontier 45s this weekend.