Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.6 Creedmoor

Downloads
    Uploads

8.6 Creedmoor

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...8-6-creedmoor/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-8-6-creedmoor

So far the thing is a .338 caliber 'blackout' that uses .308 size receivers.

Big fat 'meh' from me. Don't get me wrong, I would shoot it, especially if other people are providing the ammo.

Bigger, heavier, substantially more expensive to shoot... am I missing anything?

Oh yeah, and it's not compatible with most suppressors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://discreetballistics.com/shop/8...r_huntdefense/

$55 plus shipping for 20 rounds of ammo. Call it $3 per round.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kinda cool but meh for me. I know Q is pushing it hard but I don’t see the appeal?
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems like a cool idea, but at $3 per round, plus having to buy a new suppressor, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to love marketing. Nothing but a renamed .338 Federal. I know a few people were loading the 338 Fed with 300gr. bullets for subsonic loads 15 years ago.

So many .338 projectiles available due to the Lapua’s popularity there’s really nothing left to develop but media hype with a new trendy name.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecha_Arms View Post
    It seems like a cool idea, but at $3 per round, plus having to buy a new suppressor, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
    This right here.

No more calibers for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    300blk on steroids yes please . After shooting the 510 Beck & Triggercon 2017 I've been lusting after a heavy cycling subsonic .
    Is it expensive & a pain in the ass to add another caliber to the mix ? Yes but I have GAS
    Gear
    Acquisition
    Syndrome

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, this is limited use and fills a need or want for some people....but not for me personally

I can load Subsonic .308...don’t need anything beyond that

Downloads
    Uploads

8.6 Creedmoor

If this catches on...

...ammo prices will come down just like 300blk.

.... we’ll finally have a factory subsonic AR308 round (is there one already).

... suppressors for it will be more “normal” in that size.

Q seems to talk about this the most. Having more energy at normal hunting than a 308 while going subsonic from 12.5” barrel is interesting to many. I’ve not seen any benefit to a 308 SBR but this may be it.

That said, I’ll wait and see. And just like 300blk, it won’t be a range gun but serve a certain low-round count use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    If this catches on...

...ammo prices will come down just like 300blk.

.... we’ll finally have a factory subsonic AR308 round (is there one already).

... suppressors for it will be more “normal” in that size.

Q seems to talk about this the most. Having more energy at normal hunting than a 308 while going subsonic from 12.5” barrel is interesting to many. I’ve not seen any benefit to a 308 SBR but this may be it.

That said, I’ll wait and see. And just like 300blk, it won’t be a range gun but serve a certain low-round count use.
    Has the price of 300 BLK ammo dropped? (honest question I am brand new to it) Factory ammo I am sure, but based on the cost of heavy bullets I don't know if it's dropped that much or not....but with this round there is more materials hence they will always be incrementally more expensive.

I don't think the case for these are .308 cases. I think they are using some other resized/reshaped brass.

.300 BLK to me has the potential to be one of my more shot calibers. That is if I can find good heavy subs to run. I can basically shoot it without waking the dead.

While I am generally not a big hunter per se (I would but just no time) but the problem with hunting with 300BLK subs is lack of energy on the sub level even when paired with the solid copper max expansion bullets. As with everything it's all about shot placement.

With this .338 caliber slinging similar copper rounds at 300 grains down range it's likely to do a lot more damage.

Right now in the 300 BLK world they make 265 grain cast bullets that can be shot out of a regular old AR. The problem as I understand it is they just blow right through 3 gel blocks end to end.

About the only thing I see coming out of this new round is potentially the ability to have true subsonic hunts without as much worry about putting down an animal quickly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless Im mistaken, I also wouldn’t call it a “large 300 Blackout”. 300BLK is made specifically to use in the semi auto AR15 platform. All I see from Q, even though it’s awesome, is the Fix, which is bolt action.

Why can’t people just use 338 Federal bolt guns and load 300gr subs? Because they ALREADY DO. But “Federal” doesn’t sell like “Creedmoor”.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Unless Im mistaken, I also wouldn’t call it a “large 300 Blackout”. 300BLK is made specifically to use in the semi auto AR15 platform. All I see from Q, even though it’s awesome, is the Fix, which is bolt action.

Why can’t people just use 338 Federal bolt guns and load 300gr subs? Because they ALREADY DO. But “Federal” doesn’t sell like “Creedmoor”.
    It uses the .308 case, so it doesn't alter mag capacity, hence it's a barrel swap conversion just like 300 BLK.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since Hornady is saying it’s a shortened, necked up 6.5 CM case technically it’s based on a 30 TC. Still just hanging a trendy name on another company’s round. I am curious to see the twist rates Q winds up settling on with this round. The 338’s running subsonically certainly benefit from getting spun fast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    It uses the .308 case, so it doesn't alter mag capacity, hence it's a barrel swap conversion just like 300 BLK.

The case isn’t in question: 300BLK was designed to replace the 9mm as a suppressed subgun caliber. 8.6CM is a Subsonic .338 in a bolt action rifle. That’s totally different IMO

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    The case isn’t in question: 300BLK was designed to replace the 9mm as a suppressed subgun caliber. 8.6CM is a Subsonic .338 in a bolt action rifle. That’s totally different IMO
    I’m not sure why you keep insisting it’s a bolt gun round. Yes the rifle Q is touting is a bolt gun but without question this round will function in a semi auto. It’s like saying a 6.5 CM is a bolt gun round because Ruger make the precision rifle in that caliber.