Downloads
    Uploads

Woodland camo with rattlecan mini-tutorial

Im working on a new AR build and I knew I was going to rattle can it but wasn’t sure how to pull off Woodland. I saw decal-making DIY online and decided to make my own.

Take a sheet of wax paper and layer painters tape all over it, both sides. I printed out some woodland camo pages and used an exacto knife to cut out my shapes. Now, since both sides of the wax paper were covered, you’ve got two decals for the effort of one

I started by stripping the old paint off the upper and lower with citristrip

I oiled it and let it soak for a couple days to protect the metal and then getting ready to paint, I wiped the whole thing down with ISO to remove oils so paint would stick

I did a coat of flat black first and let it dry. I applied a few decals...not many, as I didn’t want the darker spots over powering the rest of it.

Alternated olive green, flat brown and khaki, and did a clear coat after all the tape was up.

Should have the barrel and rail soon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks great. Thanks for the write up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple of questions... that paint stripper didn't harm the polymer in the grip? Obviously the answer is no but I am wondering why you didn't remove that too before stripping it down?

Was the original condition of the gun painted, cerakoted, anodized or what?

It also looks like you stripped it with the safety selector still in place but that it was removed prior to painting. Correct?

BTW Looks great!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to replace the grip; there was a milspec or standard A2 grip on it. I left the A2 one on there so I could see what the citristrip did to plastic and also it gave me something to hold while I sprayed & rinsed.

The only reason I left the selector switch in place when stripping the paint was because I left the grip on. Since I removed it to paint, and replace with a Magpul K grip (slightly more vertical and no beaver tail back strap).

Original condition was regular black anodized lower with rattle can paint; was solid FDE that matched Magpul’s really well for about a year then faded outh

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice job!

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good man. You're the master of the camo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thumbs up