Downloads
    Uploads

My first bolt action rifle

So I just bought my first bolt action rifle. I bought a Remington 700 SPS .30-06 with a Leupold VX-1 or VX-2. All for......drum roll..... $200.00. I just need to send it in for the recall
    Name:  Rem700.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  296.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    A steal at that price. And (if gently used) most 30-06 rifles don't have a high round count. You did good!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just grab a Timney and forget that recall. The XMP triggers suck anyway. Nice action to start a build with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an update on the above rifle. It's now a long action .308 sporting a flat fluted Remington R5 barrel. I also upgraded the stock and the cheap Harris clone. Shot a group between 1/4" and 1/2 " at zero with two of three rounds stacked on top of each other. I just need to update the scope rings and base. Then find a bolt action class.Name:  20181213_183501.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  503.1 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
    Here's an update on the above rifle. It's now a long action .308 sporting a flat fluted Remington R5 barrel. I also upgraded the stock and the cheap Harris clone. Shot a group between 1/4" and 1/2 " at zero with two of three rounds stacked on top of each other. I just need to update the scope rings and base. Then find a bolt action class.Name:  20181213_183501.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  503.1 KB
    Magpul stock? Magpul bipod? How do you like the bipod? My buddy is running the stock on a .308 rifle he has. He likes it. I’ve fingered the bipods, but, eh. I don’t know. What’s your impression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Their bipods are garbage. Even a Harris is an improvement.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    This.

They are flimsy. I bought a few before I actually used them. They're serviceable on a 10/22 and that's about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Not to be an ass, but the “even a Harris is an improvement” comment. Are they not as good as they want everyone to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This.

They are flimsy. I bought a few before I actually used them. They're serviceable on a 10/22 and that's about it.
    Oh, okay. Glad I didn’t buy one then! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearhead View Post
    Not to be an ass, but the “even a Harris is an improvement” comment. Are they not as good as they want everyone to believe?
    Just keep in mind that, as with everything guns, there's so much more than just one-line internet comments. Many don't like the bulk of the Harris, and that's fair. Many don't like the "sproing" of the Harris, and that's fair too, although you start to edge into the fringe (I get it, hunters have good reason). But at the end of the day, Harris still works for multiple applications and the bulk/weight can be mitigated with extras like Arisaka and/or Pod-Loc.

What I find far more valuable in this thread is the outright disdain for the Magpul bipod. I never really wanted to go down that road to begin with, and after this, I've got no regrets. It's not perfect, and I have some design complaints with a more competition slant when it comes to the Harris, but overall it meets 90%+ of my needs. And the Atlas is great too, but it's also not a 100% solution for me.

Bottom line, shoot a bunch, and them move to what works for you from there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And just to say, Magpul is coming out with their stocks for short action Savage rifles now.

https://magpul.com/savage-hunter-110...rt-action.html