Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Strange Magpul spring failure

Not sure how PMag corrected to “Pke PL” in the title...

Ive had this PMag (GL9) made for the Glock 19 for about six weeks. I’ve run it at the range, firing 300 rounds through it before I felt comfortable using it as my daily carry primary mag (one of a few)

I was doing my weekly “start of the week” maintenance for my pistol and my wife’s daily carry and when unloading my mags, one felt “off”. I took it apart and this is what was in there:

It’s not a clean break; it’s a really a jagged break that runs the length of the spring. Wonder if Magpul will say anything?

Downloads
    Uploads
    It appears to me that somebody in the procurement department bought some shitty raw materials.

I would be willing to bet that somewhere along the line somebody somewhere that makes those springs bought a batch of wire from a new supplier and got ripped off.

A break like that most likely would be caused from impurities in the metal itself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    It appears to me that somebody in the procurement department bought some shitty raw materials.

I would be willing to bet that somewhere along the line somebody somewhere that makes those springs bought a batch of wire from a new supplier and got ripped off.

A break like that most likely would be caused from impurities in the metal itself.
    That was my thought as well. I filled out and sent the pictures to Magpul on their customer service site so we’ll see if they respond

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't consider Magpul Glock mags worth of carry just quite yet. Once in awhile I'll get a feeding issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I don't consider Magpul Glock mags worth of carry just quite yet. Once in awhile I'll get a feeding issue.
    Just when I was convinced I became unconvinced

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of my Glock pmags are more recent, but I've got a couple that are two or more years old that have fed close to a thousand rounds each each. Gonna go back to stockers for carry.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a couple 15rd PMAGs for my G19. I only use them with cheap practice ammo at the range.

Factory Glock mags for carry and practice with carry ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are sending me an RMA to return the defective mag and spring and replace it afterwards

I really would like new springs for all of them but I’ll just be using them at the range now. Ordered replacement Glock OEM mags in the meantime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a half dozen G17's I have been abusing at the range for the last 2 years. I'm gonna take a look at the springs next time I go shoot. Thanks for posting this up...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A small update and....closure? until another one breaks I guess

Magpul didn’t seem to care much at all. They sent me a new magazine and asked that I send them the broken one in it’s entirety (they did provide a label) but that’s all. I expressed concern with trusting their other mags and going back to Glock mags and said: “As for the other mags I would not worry about the springs. Broken springs are extremely rare.” These will be range mags. Nothing else

I also had to call their CS line after the initial email I got from them, because the email exchange was.....slow. After the phone call, however, my emails were answered promptly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magpul mags are fine for most things. For direct carry I'd recommend not doing so. I did at one point but from seeing how they function in hard use, that's not the case anymore.

I'd highly recommend sticking to GLOCK OEM mags. especially the new Gen5's

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Magpul mags are fine for most things. For direct carry I'd recommend not doing so. I did at one point but from seeing how they function in hard use, that's not the case anymore.

I'd highly recommend sticking to GLOCK OEM mags. especially the new Gen5's
    What did you end up seeing happening after hard use? On my primary 3 Pmags that always see range and competition use, I've found the followers have started to occasionally stick a bit after several thousand rounds each and exposure to rain and dirt. Meanwhile the OEM mag that goes with them everywhere is still fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They create issues in pistol caliber carbines too. The last 3-4 rounds had feeding problems on 3 of the 5 magazines I owned. I assumed insufficient spring pressure. Ran fine in a friend’s KRISS so I gave them to him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's you guy's maintenance cycle for cleaning mags? Time? Round count? Feel? Never? Just wondering.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    What did you end up seeing happening after hard use? On my primary 3 Pmags that always see range and competition use, I've found the followers have started to occasionally stick a bit after several thousand rounds each and exposure to rain and dirt. Meanwhile the OEM mag that goes with them everywhere is still fine.
    They started to act up, failure to feed, failure to lock the slide back, if you drop a mag that's loaded, even with a few bullets the bullets have a tendency to get stuck in a non-usable position.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlO7-Lrh..._web_copy_link