Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I prefer beam style torque wrenches.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...70_&dpSrc=srch
    BU, I wouldn't be adverse to having one (beam type) in my tool chest, but they have draw backs working in tight and odd spaces, which are easier to get to with a screw driver type tool. I do have a "clicker" style inch lb. wrench, but it only goes down to 20 inch lbs, at lowest setting.

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never mind, have a beam type on the way now
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Never mind, have a beam type on the way now
    I bought one after I sheered a screw mounting a BCM KMR. It's a handy little tool. It's what I use for all my optics mounting and handguard mounting. The upside to a beam style torque wrench is you don't really have to worry about them going out of calibration like the mechanical types. Just make sure it points to zero before you start. I also like that you have the ability to continuously observe the applied torque.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Deflecting beam torque wrenches are outdated for a reason. They suck. Disaster waiting to happen with inch/lb level torque settings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Deflecting beam torque wrenches are outdated for a reason. They suck. Disaster waiting to happen with inch/lb level torque settings.
    Why do you say that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They cannot be calibrated so over time they become far out of spec. Also they are too dependent on the user to give accurate measurements even when new. Something as simple as your hand on the socket end or your head off axis of the scale and not reading the needle from directly above can cause a 15-20% variation between fasteners.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This

No reason in this day and age to use one. Outdated and no real good way to be precise and know if it’s correct or not. Only reason I have one is for one thing and that’s checking how much it takes to spin a motor over as I build the short lock.really more of a curious thing for me.

That vortex option seems like a great option for what your getting

Downloads
    Uploads
    They cannot be calibrated so over time they become far out of spec. Also they are too dependent on the user to give accurate measurements even when new. Something as simple as your hand on the socket end or your head off axis of the scale and not reading the needle from directly above can cause a 15-20% variation between fasteners.
    Interesting. Thanks.

This might be like debating 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel. That said, there is generally nothing to calibrate on a beam style wrench which is why many consider them to be the better option. Beam style torque wrenches rely on the inherent physical properties of the material, just like a mercury thermometer. Mechanical torque wrenches are just a that - mechanical, and are much more susceptible to drift. Not setting a mechanical torque wrench back to zero when done will accelerates its drift. I agree that accurate read-outs on beam wrenches can be problematic, just like on beam scales, but that's an operator issue not an equipment issue. Most manufacturers of mechanical / click torque wrenches suggest you calibrate them annually, and many won't warranty the accuracy beyond that. FWIW, I've read that Rolls Royce uses beam style wrenches to check the accuracy of their click-style wrenches. It was on the internet, so it must be true.

Mustang, it's quite easy to check the accuracy of any torque wrench. Chuck the head in a vice, hang a known weight of the handle, and see if it matches. Some math might be required. Not sure how you check a driver w/o specialized equipment but I'm sure there's a way.

For pretty much anything I do, I can accept a 10% deviation anyway (and have confidence my beam wrench is keeping me within 5%) and I don't have access or read-out problems, so the cheaper option serves me quite well. But even if I was using a clicker and it was out of calibration, I'd also still probably be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a copy and paste...lol

I’m all good though, and I’m I’m pretty sure any of the big wig company’s are not testing theee calibration by hanging a weight off it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I’m all good though, and I’m I’m pretty sure any of the big wig company’s are not testing theee calibration by hanging a weight off it...
    Of course not. But complex calibration equipment doesn't change the underlying simple physics.

I'll take your other comment as a compliment about my great writing style.