Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aero M5 thread

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Aero M5 thread

Hopefully the last one. Tired of bombing other people's threads so...

I really would like to try an FDE A2 stock on this. Picked up the builder set on a labor day sale. Barrel is a DSG (suspect rebadged BA) match grade 18" 416ss, 1:10, MD is the freebie mini brake that came with my GA Alpha can. I had lots of the small bits on hand, so this fell together at a super nice price.

Hunting some KAC irons, or some Magpul pros. Hoping to keep with the tan scheme, so W.O. for the magpul sights.

Hoping to try a magpul bipod on this, but she's definitely big boned as-is.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I refuse to build any large frame AR’s with anything but a rifle length buffer. Even the A5’s are nowhere close to how well they run with a rifle length setup. I run Magpul PRS stocks on almost all of mine.

Nice looking rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wondered about this, but i guess Ill find out soon enough. Any recommendations on tubes, springs and buffers would be appreciated. I don't want to grab the wrong part. Same for the gas block. I've read comments, but I want to try this setup normal, and suppressed and see how it runs. I might be easily satisfied, but I've had amazing luck running standard buffers and gas blocks on all of my 5.56 rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I refuse to build any large frame AR’s with anything but a rifle length buffer. Even the A5’s are nowhere close to how well they run with a rifle length setup. I run Magpul PRS stocks on almost all of mine.

Nice looking rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good. Sounds like you haven't shot it yet? I'm curious to see how well it does for you out of the gate as the large frames have a reputation for requiring a bit more "tuning" up front. I started off with an adjustable gas block on mine, but I also wanted to run lightweight BCGs so i could keep the weight down.

Looking forward to the range report!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Me too. Hoping to get out tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For 16" 308's, I've had good luck with 308 buffers in AR15 Extensions. Obviously, your mileage will vary, I've seen others have issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Brownell's BCG is a heavy mofo, so itll be interesting to see how it works with and without a can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Hopefully the last one. Tired of bombing other people's threads so...

I really would like to try an FDE A2 stock on this. Picked up the builder set on a labor day sale. Barrel is a DSG (suspect rebadged BA) match grade 18" 416ss, 1:10, MD is the freebie mini brake that came with my GA Alpha can. I had lots of the small bits on hand, so this fell together at a super nice price.

Hunting some KAC irons, or some Magpul pros. Hoping to keep with the tan scheme, so W.O. for the magpul sights.

Hoping to try a magpul bipod on this, but she's definitely big boned as-is.

It’s not a traditional looking A2 stock, but I’m very happy with the Magpul fixed rifle stock I went with on my M5 which I’m sure comes in tan. I went with AP’s 308 A2 length buffer tube, spring and buffer kit and it’s run flawlessly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, FML! Made it through a 20 rnd mag flawlessly, consistent ejection, last round bolt lock, etc...

On the second mag, I attached my suppressor. About 3-4 rounds in (same LC 147 gr ball ammo), I get a stovepipe. Drop the mag, clear the stovepipe and there's a round stuck partially in the chamber. Looks exactly like this:

Clear that, and its now hard to move the CH/BCG in the receiver. Take it apart, nothing really stands other than this:

Mudda effin extractor is bent!

Is that on me, or is it a cheap-ass brownell's bolt issue?

Gonna work out the rifle recoil/buffer system and give it another try. I buy the whole recoil is tamer with the rifle length system, but please convince me that I need an adjustable gas block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d email Brownell’s about it and see if they’ll warranty it for ya. I’ve heard great things about their warranty policy and customer service.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The AR10 platform is really finicky when it comes to using a suppressor. Believe me, I've been through quite a few of the current offerings, and I have a wide array of cans in terms of back pressure.

If you don't have a way to tune the gas system, you'll hate shooting it suppressed. I have wasted a lot of time, ammo, and money chasing this.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Roger on the adjustable gas block. No can 'til then.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, does the adjustable gas block allow for cycling on the wide-open setting without a can? Is there a balance that allows both, or is that part of the bad experience? I can run this un-suppressed no problem, and will if its that much of a PITA to do both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a reason why some people just do a dedicated suppressed setup. Just build another twin for non-suppressed shooting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    There is a reason why some people just do a dedicated suppressed setup. Just build another twin for non-suppressed shooting.
    Enabler!