Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sling thread- What, how, and why

Slings are an item that we can all see a need for, and we can all go about different methods for the same end goal.

What sling are you using?

How do you have it set up?

Why did you go this route?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using a Boonie-Packer 1-1/4" 2P-TQA 2-point sling. Boonie Packer sent me several slings to T&E, and this is one of them. At first I was very skeptical due to the price, but frankly I've been very happy with it, and it fits well with my reversion therapy of late. I've used the BFG Vickers & Victory, and the Viking 2-point as well and find this $15 sling from Boonie Packer to work just as well for me as those other options costing as much as 4x as much.

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I pretty much have tried every sling out there. After trying the various 1-point, 2-point, and 3-point slings, I always wound up going back to the Viking Tactics Padded 2-point sling.
    I have the rear attached to the top section on the E-Mod stock and the front all the way forward on the MRP with a QD adapter.

After trying the various types of slings, I decided that the 2-Point slings are better for me, so I just had to decide which one.
    I want a sling that has a quick adjust, can be used as a shooting aid, and has enough slack that I can transition from strong to weak side. The V-TAC is the only one that does all three so I prefer it to the others I tried. The new knew come with a little velcro strap the secures the tail so it doesn't flop around.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a Viking Tactics Mk 1 (without the padding) on a DD M4 connected to the end-plate and rail swivels.

I am paleo school. Started with para cord circa 1970 (and an Armson OEG), then went to a bungee type single point (home-made) in the 80's & 90's (with ACOG's and Aimpoint 3000). Then to webbing single point...and now to a 2 point (VTAC).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am currently using a Viking Tactics Original Sling with a Daniel Defense QD rail mount and a Daniel Defense Carbine Burnsed Loop (Right Hand) to the rear.

I was never really a fan of single point slings and I liked the comfort of the padding and the ease that the VTAC can be adjusted. Also, the price was right for the time.

However, now that I have seen the MagPul MS2 Sling and ASAP, I think that I may be making the switch.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM
    Email ||| Webpage ||| Facebook ||| Flickr ||| YouTube Channel ||| Twitter ||| Instagram

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently I'm using a BFG single point sling. I use both the HK hook and the push button, and either one works fine. (I have different setups on different AR's to see when I like the most)

I got a VTAC 2 point sling.. but just feels sloppy to me since I haven't used 2 point forever. I plan to continue trying to us it to see if I like it, but really haven't had the chance to use it.. which is probably why I feel it's sloppy and/or uncomfortable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using a Vickers Combat Application 2 point sling. This was recommended to me by a coworker who knows his stuff. Very nice, quick adjust when I'm deploying my rifle on duty. Very high quality too. I tried the TT 3 point sling, but there was just too much material getting in the way, but it worked great on my Mini-14. I haven't tried a single point sling yet, and hope to soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm currently running a BFG VCAS 2pt with a DD Q/D forend attach and a MI ambi Q/D rear attach but, I just got a Magpul ASAP plate and I'm sort of impatiently waiting for the MS2 in FDE to come back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a recent convert to the Magpul ASAP/MS2 sling combo. I decided to try it out for a couple of reasons....

For one, I always preferred using a single point sling during shooting/training sessions as the single point sling always gave me the most freedom of movement with my carbine when shooting from all of the different positions (strong side/weak side barricades, prone/urban prone, etc.).

For police work (actually carrying the carbine on-duty), I found the dedicated single point sling to be useless when I actually needed to sling my carbine up for hands-on activities such as handcuffing, climbing through & over obstacles, etc. It was then I decided to switch to the VCAS two-point sling. It is a great sling, but I found my weapon manipulations (reloading, non-standard position shooting, etc.) suffered a bit using the dedicated two-point sling.

When the Magpul MS2 sling/ASAP receiver plate combo came along, I was curious to see if it indeed did offer the best of both worlds (single point & two-point). So far I am completely convinced that it does, and I am absolutely please with this sling set-up.

I carry it as designed in single point mode, and transition to two-point mode when I need to sling the carbine up for activities other than shooting & carbine manipulations.

I have mine set up in conjunction with a CQD forward sling mount located toward the muzzle end of my LaRue 11.0 "Goose-neck" rail.

The material used on the MS2 sling is very comfortable, and the lack of padding on this sling has not bothered me at all to this point.

All of the hardware on the sling feels very solid as well and functions as advertised.

Downloads
    Uploads

I put a lot of thought into this for my personal comfort and ease of use. I thought I would share some of my findings.

GEAR: (I'm a right hander. 14.5" Carbine.)
    *BlueForce Gear Vickers VCAS Sling (Padded Version)
    *Midwest Industries MCTAR-08HD Heavy Duty Quick Detach Front Sling Swivel
    *Magpul CTR (using the integrated Swivel Socket with a Midwest Industries Heavy Duty Sling Swivel)
    *Vertical Grip (this is an important part of my setup and I use it in a non-chicken choking fashion; i.e. hand in front, thumb pointing up. I suggest trying it for yourself with and without the VFG).

I was experimenting with this gear trying to find the perfect setup and I made some great discoveries. If you have the VCAS or similar 2 point sling, I encourage you to try out my chosen configuration. I think I found a great setup. It really works great on a number of levels. Let me explain.

Let me just say that I tried all possible configurations (excluding the "B" position) and ended up using "C" and " Opposite Side E". Here's why I chose "C" and "Opposite Side E"...

First, I removed my swivel mount at position "D" and swapped my charging handle Tac-Latch out for a standard latch so the gun would lay nice and flat across my front (this is a big plus for control, snag-free and comfort reasons). Now, standing face forward with my feet shoulder width apart in a casual stance (i.e. a normal standing position) with the gun dangling in front of me, slightly slanted (in the position it naturally lays when all of the slack is taken out of the VCAS sling at the attachment points), I asked myself what I would ultimately desire if I had to deploy the weapon in a hurry. Here's what I came up with...

1. Must be able to grab the gun with my hands immediately in their ready to fire positions without any fumbling or fighting obstacles.
    2. Must be able to raise the gun up to my eye and immediately get on target without any strain or awkward positioning.
    3. Must be able to engage a target at my 9 O'Clock, 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock without moving my feet (i.e. pivot/swing from one side to the other) and without any strain, pulling, tugging, awkward positioning, etc. (I realize we move our feet in stressful situations, but this test actually helps determine our level of mobility before we need to move)
    4. Must be able to transition to my support side quickly and without struggle.

I encourage you to try to see if you can achieve these points with your current setup and not be fighting your sling to some degree. With my chosen setup the sling becomes part of the gun in a way I had not previously experienced.

Let me also say that any of the position points feel OK when the gun is laying across your body. A&D ride slightly higher than C&E by a very small amount (what is it 6" or so) but it is not worth the fumbling, straining and awkward positions trade-off to use them.

Negatives of "A" and "D":
    1. When deploying the gun to a target at 9,12 or 3 my left hand encounters the front sling swivel and I have to avoid it (and thus fumble over or under etc.) FAIL
    2. When deploying the gun it is difficult to raise it up to my eye without encountering tension and thus having to bring my eye down to it. If the stock is extended it is nearly impossible to raise it up to my eye without struggling with the sling (slack). FAIL
    3. When on target the gun is somewhat comfortable and feels solid, but is not very manuverable. And with the stock extended it's neither comfortable nor maneuverable. FAIL
    4. Transition to support side is nearly impossible without fighting the sling and it rubbing on your neck. FAIL

Negatives of "A and "E"
    1. When deploying the gun to any target at 9,12 or 3 my left hand encounters the front sling swivel and I have to avoid it (and thus fumble over or under etc.) FAIL
    2. When deploying the gun the sling rubs against my neck. If I swing from my 9 to my 3 there is more rubbing. FAIL
    3. When on target the gun is somewhat comfortable, but not very manuverable. And with the stock extended it's neither comfortable nor manuverable. FAIL
    4. Transition to support side is difficult without fighting the sling and it rubbing on your neck. FAIL

Negatives of "C" and "E"

1. When deploying the gun it raises to the eye very nicely, but the sling rubs against my neck. If I swing from my 9 to my 3 there is more rubbing. FAIL
    2. When I transition to my support side I fight the CTR sling swivel wrapping around on the inside of my neck. FAIL

Positives of "C" and "Opposite Side E" - SUCCESS

1. When I deploy the gun my hands are immediately in their ready to fire positions without any fumbling or obstacles.
    2. I am able to raise the gun up to my eye and immediately get on target without any strain or awkward positioning.
    3. I am able to engage a target at my 9 O'Clock, 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock without moving my feet and without any strain, pulling, tugging, awkward positioning, etc.
    4. When I swing from my 9 to my 3 there is no rubbing on my neck from the sling!
    5. When I transition to my support side I can either 1) Keep my hands in there respective positions and just bring the gun over. Or, 2) transition very easily to my support side, very fast and without fighting the CTR sling swivel wrapping around on the inside of my neck. Big Plus! The transition only requires one move for each hand (vs two moves each as with other transition methods). First my right hand moves forward from the pistol grip to the backside of my VFG (thumb slips into my palm of my left hand and chicken chokes the VFG, then my left hand, which is in front of the VFG, comes off and pulls back on the tab on the sling (lengthening it) and then immediately goes to the pistol grip (no arm ducking under the sling), then the buttstock is transitioned from my right shoulder to my left shoulder. One option is to use the VFG to move the buttstock over before the left hand lands on the pistol grip. Either method works well.
    6. Gun swings behind you very easy if you need to use your hands.
    7. Is comfortable with the stock extended to any position.
    8. Very comfortable African-Style Carry, Military Patrol Carry and On-Your-Back (out of the way) Carry.

Negatives of "C" and "Opposite Side E"

1. No US G.I. Carry

I guarantee you that if you go "C" and "Opposite Side E" you will be able to...

1. Deploy the gun with your hands immediately in there ready to fire positions without any fumbling or obstacles.
    2. Raise the gun up to your eye and immediately get on target without any strain, awkward positioning.
    3. Engage a target at your 9 O'Clock, 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock without any strain, pulling, tugging, awkward positioning, etc. (and from a planted foot position if ever needed).
    4. Easily maneuver the weapon in any direction without struggle or the sling rubbing your neck.
    5. Transition to your support side very fast and without struggle or the sling rubbing your neck.
    6. Comfortably use the stock extended to any position.
    Last edited by zippygaloo; 20 November 2012 at 19:54.

Downloads
    Uploads

slings

I had been using the VTAC sling on my duty/personal AR. I am a left handed shooter and at times struggle with the sling doing transitioning from L to R, prone, etc. To do a transition with the VTAC sling, losing the sling, drop your arm from the sling and rotate to transition side.

When shooting with the VTAC sling attached as a L/H shooter, there were times the empty casings would hit the sling and creating a problem for me, so the 2 pt sling was a problem for me.

I recently switch to the new Magpul MS2 sling and ambi sling attachment pt. This sling can be either a single pt or 2 pt sling. The receiver end plate is replaced with the Magpul plate and there is a small loop shape bar which allows the sling attchment-via clip, to swivel from side to side. You can release yourself from the receiver plate via the cord release that pulls on the metal clip. The Magpul sling is a quick learner.

I had been running this for a week now and this works better for me, I'm quicker with the transitions from L to R. The VTAC was a padded sling whereas the Magpul is not. From the comfort level, this was not a issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=zippygaloo;8842]

I put a lot of thought into this for my personal comfort and ease of use. I thought I would share some of my findings.

Positives of "C" and "Opposite Side E" - SUCCESS[/B][/COLOR]
    1. When I deploy the gun my hands are immediately in their ready to fire positions without any fumbling or obstacles.
    2. I am able to raise the gun up to my eye and immediately get on target without any strain or awkward positioning.
    3. I am able to engage a target at my 9 O'Clock, 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock without moving my feet and without any strain, pulling, tugging, awkward positioning, etc.
    4. When I swing from my 9 to my 3 there is no rubbing on my neck from the sling!
    5. When I transition to my support side I can either 1) Keep my hands in there respective positions and just bring the gun over. Or, 2) transition very easily to my support side, very fast and without fighting the CTR sling swivel wrapping around on the inside of my neck. Big Plus! The transition only requires one move for each hand (vs two moves each as with other transition methods). First my right hand moves forward from the pistol grip to the backside of my VFG (thumb slips into my palm of my left hand and chicken chokes the VFG, then my left hand, which is in front of the VFG, comes off and pulls back on the tab on the sling (lengthening it) and then immediately goes to the pistol grip (no arm ducking under the sling), then the buttstock is transitioned from my right shoulder to my left shoulder. One option is to use the VFG to move the buttstock over before the left hand lands on the pistol grip. Either method works well.
    8. Very comfortable African-Style Carry, Military Patrol Carry and On-Your-Back (out of the way) Carry.

1. No US G.I. Carry

Outstanding analysis. I would like to see a video of you transitioning to the support side using the "C to opposite side E" or maybe stills of the transition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zippygaloo View Post

GEAR: (I'm a right hander. 14.5" Carbine.)
    *BlueForce Gear Vickers VCAS Sling (Padded Version)
    *Midwest Industries MCTAR-08HD Heavy Duty Quick Detach Front Sling Swivel
    *Magpul CTR (using the integrated Swivel Socket with a Midwest Industries Heavy Duty Sling Swivel)
    *Vertical Grip (this is an important part of my setup and I use it in a non-chicken choking fashion; i.e. hand in front, thumb pointing up. I suggest trying it for yourself with and without the VFG).

I was experimenting with this gear trying to find the perfect setup and I made some great discoveries. If you have the VCAS or similar 2 point sling, I encourage you to try out my chosen configuration. I think I found a great setup. It really works great on a number of levels. Let me explain.

Let me just say that I tried all possible configurations (excluding the "B" position) and ended up using "C" and " Opposite Side E". Here's why I chose "C" and "Opposite Side E"...

First, I removed my swivel mount at position "D" and swapped my charging handle Tac-Latch out for a standard latch so the gun would lay nice and flat across my front (this is a big plus for control, snag-free and comfort reasons). Now, standing face forward with my feet shoulder width apart in a casual stance (i.e. a normal standing position) with the gun dangling in front of me, slightly slanted (in the position it naturally lays when all of the slack is taken out of the VCAS sling at the attachment points), I asked myself what I would ultimately desire if I had to deploy the weapon in a hurry. Here's what I came up with...

1. Must be able to grab the gun with my hands immediately in their ready to fire positions without any fumbling or fighting obstacles.
    2. Must be able to raise the gun up to my eye and immediately get on target without any strain or awkward positioning.
    3. Must be able to engage a target at my 9 O'Clock, 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock without moving my feet (i.e. pivot/swing from one side to the other) and without any strain, pulling, tugging, awkward positioning, etc. (I realize we move our feet in stressful situations, but this test actually helps determine our level of mobility before we need to move)
    4. Must be able to transition to my support side quickly and without struggle.

I encourage you to try to see if you can achieve these points with your current setup and not be fighting your sling to some degree. With my chosen setup the sling becomes part of the gun in a way I had not previously experienced.

Let me also say that any of the position points feel OK when the gun is laying across your body. A&D ride slightly higher than C&E by a very small amount (what is it 6" or so) but it is not worth the fumbling, straining and awkward positions trade-off to use them.

Negatives of "A" and "D":
    1. When deploying the gun to a target at 9,12 or 3 my left hand encounters the front sling swivel and I have to avoid it (and thus fumble over or under etc.) FAIL
    2. When deploying the gun it is difficult to raise it up to my eye without encountering tension and thus having to bring my eye down to it. If the stock is extended it is nearly impossible to raise it up to my eye without struggling with the sling (slack). FAIL
    3. When on target the gun is somewhat comfortable and feels solid, but is not very manuverable. And with the stock extended it's neither comfortable nor maneuverable. FAIL
    4. Transition to support side is nearly impossible without fighting the sling and it rubbing on your neck. FAIL

Negatives of "A and "E"
    1. When deploying the gun to any target at 9,12 or 3 my left hand encounters the front sling swivel and I have to avoid it (and thus fumble over or under etc.) FAIL
    2. When deploying the gun the sling rubs against my neck. If I swing from my 9 to my 3 there is more rubbing. FAIL
    3. When on target the gun is somewhat comfortable, but not very manuverable. And with the stock extended it's neither comfortable nor manuverable. FAIL
    4. Transition to support side is difficult without fighting the sling and it rubbing on your neck. FAIL

Negatives of "C" and "E"

1. When deploying the gun it raises to the eye very nicely, but the sling rubs against my neck. If I swing from my 9 to my 3 there is more rubbing. FAIL
    2. When I transition to my support side I fight the CTR sling swivel wrapping around on the inside of my neck. FAIL

Positives of "C" and "Opposite Side E" - SUCCESS

1. No US G.I. Carry

I guarantee you that if you go "C" and "Opposite Side E" you will be able to...

1. Deploy the gun with your hands immediately in there ready to fire positions without any fumbling or obstacles.
    2. Raise the gun up to your eye and immediately get on target without any strain, awkward positioning.
    3. Engage a target at your 9 O'Clock, 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock without any strain, pulling, tugging, awkward positioning, etc. (and from a planted foot position if ever needed).
    4. Easily maneuver the weapon in any direction without struggle or the sling rubbing your neck.
    5. Transition to your support side very fast and without struggle or the sling rubbing your neck.
    6. Comfortably use the stock extended to any position.
    hi, i'm a newbie here. just want to ask if you have tried changing mags while your sling is attached to points "C" and "E"? would'nt the end of your sling attached to point "C" get in the way? how about reaching for the bolt catch after changing mags, is it clear if the sling? thanks.
    Last edited by walt_p99; 29 May 2009 at 00:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by walt_p99 View Post
    hi, i'm a newbie here. just want to ask if you have tried changing mags while your sling is attached to points "C" and "E"? would'nt the end of your sling attached to point "C" get in the way? how about reaching for the bolt catch after changing mags, is it clear if the sling? thanks.

Walt,

Welcome to the board. There are no problems with magazine changes when the sling is mounted at point "C", the sling is up enough that it doesn't get in the way.

I use sling points "C" and "D" for my duty carbine, and it works very well. I don't care for position "E" for my own needs, mainly because if you adjust the stock, you are also adjusting the sling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Walt,

Welcome to the board. There are no problems with magazine changes when the sling is mounted at point "C", the sling is up enough that it doesn't get in the way.

I use sling points "C" and "D" for my duty carbine, and it works very well. I don't care for position "E" for my own needs, mainly because if you adjust the stock, you are also adjusting the sling.
    stickman,

thanks alot. i hope i could learn more from you guys.