Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use VCAS with QD push buttons. DD railmounted qd attachment point in the A position and opposite side E postion on my CTR buttstock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have yet to use my carbine, since I'm deployed, but on my issue M16A2 I have tried several slings over the years for general carry and training. The most I've experimenting I've done is just before my current deployment when the USAF sent me to train with the Army for 5 weeks and here that I get the chance to "travel" a lot.

Everyone pretty much agrees that the stock sling and mount points suck on a rifle or M4 carbine with GI stock for anything other than slinging it over your shoulder muzzle up or down with the weapon completely vertical. Slinging it across your front or back diagonally will cause it to twist and dig into your stomach/back.

Lately they have been swapping out the original 2 point sling for a 3 point. That is the sling you will see most people have out here. I hate it. There is too much material in the way, most are designed for right handed shooters since webbing goes alongside the entire rifle, and no matter how you adjust it, the weapon just flops around with a mind of it's own.

What I did during the Army training, since all of our weapon classes were with body armor on, was to take the sternum strap off from my Spec OPS The PACK backpack and convert it for use into an improvised "wolf hook". I put one end on my armor, and the other end around the rear portion of the 3 point sling that goes around the fixed butt stock. This worked pretty good until we were done with classes and I had to carry the weapon around. I fixed that by putting the section that was on my armor onto the D ring on my Army issued assault back pack and just walked around with my weapon and backpack (i hate having things in my pockets).

When I got to my deployment location, I would switch between the 3 point and improvised wolf hook when I would have to travel. I'm a minimalist, and although I've seen others just take their 3 point and snap it into a carabiner that was on their armor, I didn't like the excess material. What I then did was hack away at my issued 3 point sling and converted it to a 2 point sling, but used the extra buckles and what not so that it's quickly detatchable on the rear and can transition to the wolf hook end on my armor. For the front, I looped it around itself on a tri glide and in the loop put a small cheap carabiner and cliped that onto the rear portion of the front sight post. That worked okay but then I wanted a cleaner solution. They sold the Tangodown Sling mount for fixed stocks at the PX so I bought it. It's easy to install, and works as intended, but with my 2 point sling the weapon hung lower and was always forward away from my torso. With the sling end mounted near the butt of the stock it would pull the rifle tight close against the body. So I took off the tango down mount and have yet to return it.
    I then started searching online and came across the Military Morons website and read about the Gunslinger Sling from Emdom. It's and adjustable 2 point sling with a small rear web section with tri glide and female buckle. The rest of the sling has a male buckle, goes into fat seatbelt webbing, then down to 1" webing, has a quick adjustable section, and then finally to an ITW Mash Hook. For now, I wrapped some paracord around the front sight post so I can connect the mash hook. I then also have their URS single point rig mount sling that is quick adjustable for length and uses the same buckles. So when I put my armor on, I disconnect the gunslinger sling from the rifle, and then just clip it on to the single point rig mount.

For my home carbine, I probably primarily use the rig mounted single point strap. I've pretty much decided that my active shooter setup will be a MOLLE tactical vest, like the current USGI one, so I'll attach it to that. I'll probably connect it to the receiver using the Magpul ASAP.

Sorry for the lengthy write up. Better pictures could be found here:

http://militarymorons.com/weapons/ar...tml#gunslinger
    http://militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.slings.html#urs

Downloads
    Uploads

sligs

I've only tied 3 differant slings ,but I really like Urban-E.R.T slings. For me I don't like a padded sling when I've already have an inch of layers on already. They Put the extra effort into their slings where it counts.urbanertslings.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    kwrangln infected me with Boonie Packeritis. Here are three of my carbines with variations of the basic $16 Boonie Packer TQA quick adjust two point sling:

KISS with M4 stock connector - the front is mounted to a M4-type side sling point. This is a 1.25" version. Simple, effective, comfortable.

A MOE carbine with my WECSOG front sling loop. It's a 1.5" model with the M4 stock connector, I used a MASH on the front. A very quick, comfy, stable sling!

Here's a 1.25" TQA to which I added 1" HK hooks front and rear to make a basic 1/2 point convertible. Same front sling point as the other MOE, Magpul ASAP on the rear. It works a lot better than I expected it would in both evolutions, I'm very happy with the results, and I think this version is my new standard sling for ARs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had two questions pertaining to my new sling and this thread just answered both of them.

This is quite possibly the best source of info on the web.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I got my sling swivel and was able to try out my new VCAS - seems I still have questions and I didn't want to start another whole thread.

I have the sling attached to the rear QD socket on my MRF handguard, and I'm using one of the slots in my SOPMOD.

I don't like how low it hangs, and I also don't like how the sling tension changes if you adjust the buttstock.

Here's my proposed solution, but it's a clamp-on adaptor:

H&K hooks are what I originally wanted, and now that I'm going with TangoDown rail panels and a Gear Sector light mount, I can also get a Gear Sector H&K loop that mounts flush with the TD panels.

Are these clamp-on type adaptors any good? I've seen some receiver end plates that have integral loops for H&K hooks but I'd prefer not to have to replace my end plate since I don't even have a carbine stock wrench.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use the Magpul MS2 in the single-point configuration attached to a Magpul ASAP ambi end plate. Works fine for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Specter sling. It is either a CST or CQB model. I have the instructions, cannot fathom how this thing is supposed to work...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started using a blueforce gear 3 point that I had QD swivels attached too. One going in the QD socket on the UBR and the other to a Midwest Industries QD rail mount. After a little while and talking with a few friends at my local shop I decided that this wasn't the sling for me. So then I tried the MS2 SLING just attaching it to my QD socket in my UBR. The forward QD rail mount didn't seem to work anymore, so I have just been running a one point at the moment. Until the RSA from Magpul is released.
    In my opinion QD swivel are a little to noisy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is such a great source of "real" information without the attitude found on other sites...great posts guys. I am in the hunt for the right 2 point sling. I have narrowed it down to the VTAC padded sling (the one from Larue) and the Vickers Blueforce padded Sling with the QR swivels. Looking at them, the Vickers seems to have a more simple "handle" to adjust the sling while the VTAC uses the free "tail end" of the strap, which could leave a long strap to get tangled. Anyone have experience with both that can recommend one or the other?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have both the VTAC and the VCAS. No question the VTAC has an excess material problem. I've never had it get tangled, but it does get annoying. OTOH, it slides and adjusts easily. The VCAS is simpler. Mine is the one with the QD swivels sewn in. No excess material to deal with at all, but the material and slider are such that it doesn't adjust quite as easily as the VTAC.

I haven't used the VCAS much - no training courses or anything since I got it, so I don't know if the slider loosens up as it wears. I suspect it will...I hope so because from a configuration standpoint I prefer it to the VTAC.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been trying something new with the VTAC from LaRue. I have a Magpul UBR and I'm using working with 2 scenarios - the 2 pt set up and what is effectively a single point set up. Rather than trying to explain the "single point" set up, this photo can better explain it.

The tail of the sling when tightened for this position is sort of long, but I haven't found it to be that annoying.

For the 2pt I'm actually sending the sling through the back of the UBR and around to the left hand QD mount. I shoot left handed and this gets the sling out of the way of my face.

I have a Troy 13" rail and I'm using the QD mount rail at 6 o'clock instead of 3. This allows me to weave my wrist through in order to apply pressure for a more stable off hand shooting position.

Not a real quick transition from 2 to 1(ish) set up, but...

I know this looks kind of insane, but for off hand shooting it works well as the weight is transferred through the sling and makes for a more stable platform.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two more points of interest for the 2 point set up:

When you let it hang, it's held very close to your body.

The 6 o'clock QD mount in the front doesn't effect mag changes, because as you bring your hand back, the sling stays under and in front of the hand. Once a fresh mag is in, there's enough slack in the sling to simply bring your hand straight forward and into position on the rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still learning and researching about slings.

What would be the pros/cons when a sling is attached to the rear via the end plate method vs when it's attached directly to the buttstock instead?

Also, anyone see this yet? Looks like a nice setup...

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me it's more about comfort in transitioning from one shoulder to the next.

I have yet to find the set up that's perfect (for me). On that note, the set up I was working with the on the UBR (above), will be classified as a FAIL. Moving back to a more traditional set up. Gotta keep trying.