Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rimfire scope reccomendations

I am starting a 10/22 custom build and I'm looking for mid to high end glass for it. Open to any and all suggestions except budget optics. I wont skimp on optics. Rifle will be for occasional target shooting but mostly for taking small game like squirrel and rabbits. Must be able to take some abuse. TIA!
    Last edited by Stone; 3 October 2018 at 17:35.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the Vortex 2-7x specific for Rimfire and to be honest it depends on what you plan to do. Once I get some more cash I might upgrade to a much higher magnification scope.

After playing around a bit for several months I can see a red dot being great for rimfire. I can also see optics with a longer reach than 7x. In the middle there though it's good but it falls into the jack of all trades category.

With more magnification at 50 and 100 yards you can really see what you are doing down there. If you aren't going to be shooting groups though and are ok with minute of tin can then 7x or so is good enough.

I was able to produce pretty damn good groups with my 7x at 50 yards but it wasn't very easy on the eyes.

I would also recommend something with very fine subtensions. The finer the better.

I also like exposed turrets. The capped ones are a hassle. While it doesn't seem like a big deal with 22 LR everything is magnified. A 2mph wind and you are shooting at 100 yards you might as well be shooting a 5.56 at 600 yards in 15mph winds.

If you are going to do any kind of precision work or shoot out to any distance (even for fun) (btw it's a great training thing for long range) having a longer power scope with super fine subtensions and exposed turrets is the way to go.

Not any brand specific stuff in there but rather features instead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Considering that I just did a full blown no holds barred custom 10/22 build let us know what you are planning on parts wise so we can help you spend your money.

I did my rifle all the way Kidd with a Magpul stock, Griffin scope rings and that under power vortex optic. For a rifle that can shoot .25MOA groups I definitely need a longer optic to make it shine.

I also would take a long hard look at the Volquartsen Summit reciever in place of a regular 10/22. Especially shooting suppressed I think it would make a huge difference. I personally plan to build one of those at some point.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/summit

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a big fan of those types of toggle actions for a couple of reasons. I might be totally wrong but here are my reasons. Keep in mind I have never shot one before.

Shooting targets you aren't going for speed. That toggle is 'fast enough'.

Shooting primarily suppressed .22 is dirty as hell and the gun will get gummed up with shit and gunk in very short order, that meaning a regular 10/22. I don't know about anyone else's but mine gets dirty as hell. I would think that fully closing bolt will help get twice as much shooting done between cleanings if you know what I mean.

I've basically shot pistols and rifles until they were so dirty that the bolt/slide wouldn't shut. It doesn't take much. Sometimes in under 500 rounds you're gonna be pulling that gun apart cleaning the gunk out of it. With the toggle bolt I think this would be much less of an issue.

Also it seems like it could be more reliable. The dirtier my 1,200 dollar 10/22 gets the more it misfeeds or won't extract or whatever. It's the nature of the beast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just ordered the Hogue stock.
    https://www.hogueinc.com/10-22-tacti...rmolded-rubber
    Most of the rifle will have Kidd parts. I have been undecided between the V7 and Kidd barrel though. The V7 is 5 beans with fluting and black gunkote, not cheap. I was just looking at the Steiner 2x10.
    https://www.steiner-optics.com/rifle...ng/gs3-2-10x42
    Last edited by Stone; 3 October 2018 at 18:29.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alamo, did you bed your barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know Leupold doesn't get a lot of love ... but I run a 6x18 AO on my 10/22. Not a custom build, just a factory target model. The scope has adjustable parallax adjustment down to 50 yards, reasonable priced, customer service has always treated me well (only had to use them twice, and on different scopes). I lucked out and got a real shooter from Ruger; haven't touched a thing but put optics on it. Not in league with a Steiner and some of the higher end scopes though.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Jerry! Thats a good lookin 22...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I just ordered the Hogue stock.
    https://www.hogueinc.com/10-22-tacti...rmolded-rubber
    Most of the rifle will have Kidd parts. I have been undecided between the V7 and Kidd barrel though. The V7 is 5 beans with fluting and black gunkote, not cheap. I was just looking at the Steiner 2x10.
    FWIW I have had terrible times with Hogue rifle stocks. I had to return at least two or three of them. One was bent so bad it was shaped like a banana. I had to pull the front of the stock over to the side like an inch just to get it to fit on the action and barrel. One of them was so bad it was pushing my barrel over to the side enough to make my shots go all over the place. I like the Hogue pistol grips but my personal opinion is not very high of their rifle stuff. Maybe your mileage will be different. As far as I am concerned there are not going to be any more second chances for Hogue, especially after they failed miserably on the first 3 or 4 chances I gave them.

I went with the Magpul stock and it's been all good. If you want a thumb hole stock I would shop around for a different brand that is similar in style but like I said my experience wasn't very positive with Hogue.

Alamo, did you bed your barrel?
    I did not bed my barrel. No need to do so with that stock as it acts sort of like a chassis. It's rigid enough and the barrel is pretty much free floated.

Regarding your barrel choices I talked for a long time to the guy from V7 about those. They look very interesting. Super cool guy as well! It takes your bullet and starts at .22 and at the muzzle end it's down to .20. It doesn't provide any greater accuracy per se but does give you longer effective ranges if you are shooting out far. For example I regularly shoot my 22 out to 200 yards. It will give you better velocity too but unless you are going to shoot a .22 out to 200 yards or beyond it's a lot of overkill.

The Kidd barrel it just depends on what you are wanting to do with it. If you are not going to buy stupid expensive match ammo that right there will limit your accuracy but even with the Kidd Ultra Lite barrels you can get .5 MOA with good ammo. Worth noting that Kidd makes 3 or 4 different kinds of barrels.

If it was me I personally would give the edge to KIDD. Although the V7 is super interesting it just doesn't warrant a price tag like that, especially for a thumb hole stock kind of rifle.

Really and truly you should be looking at overall balance of the gun IMO. My rifle with the top of the line threaded Kidd Light Fluted barrel @ 16 inches long it's perfectly balanced and even with a Griffin Optimus Micro on the end of it it's still extremely balanced. If you are going to shoot from the standing position more than not I would go with a light weight barrel for the set up you are showing pics of (IE thumb hole stock).

Just as a point of reference if your barrel (at 16 inches) is more than 1.7 pounds go for something else. Of course that's only a guideline because it's going to depend on the stock.

The Kidd ones can do 1/2 MOA or better with great (expensive) ammo but with just regular off the shelf ammo you won't see a difference in accuracy among any of them.

Also I know I have posted this before but it's definitely worth watching. She's not only hot but she's a former Olympic shooter as well. She will give you lots of ideas about .22 rifles.

Last edited by alamo5000; 3 October 2018 at 19:23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another FYI... I know it's not on the topic of optics but between the Volquartsen trigger and the Kidd trigger... IMO it's not even a comparison. I've tried them both side by side and Kidd was easily a 9.5 or better and the Volquartsen was maybe a 7. The stock 10/22 trigger would be like a 3 or 4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've built a replacement since, but my "squirrel" gun, also a Ruger 10/22 used to wear something like a 6X18 AO or there about, scope. Unfortunately, it was stolen, but the point is, people used to break out into a huge belly laugh at my expense, and I guess the sight of a .22 with a scope like that was a bit funny, but that quickly changed to look of shock and awe when I walked back off my cousin's farm with a limit of squirrels in about 45 minutes. I would crank the magnification on the thing to about max. When the squirrels, were cutting hickory nut's, really high in the trees, ( they were pretty on to hunters) I would aim for the head shot to be clean, and not waste what little meat is on the front quarter.

The heads would look about as big as grape fruit, and I could put one shot through the eyes no problem. Maybe not a good solution for everyone, but it worked damn well for me. As far as quality scope, I think that thing was a Leupold. Not the high end you're looking for, but they make scopes like that for any budget, so take your pick.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 3 October 2018 at 20:08.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just looking at the Steiner 2x10.
    I would look for more ooompah. Something like a 14x or more on the long end would be a whole lot better.

Fort Tom is correct IMO in the benefits department more zoom matters, especially in precision.

That said a big long scope with a mismatched stock... you probably want to stay open to more options on your stock. I am not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but rather point out how those different parts all are supposed to function together as one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just picked up a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 for my Ruger precision rimfire. It's excellent. In fact I'd be hard pressed to recommend NXS glass over it. It also has enough elevation plus 15 mils of holdover on the reticle so I can shoot out to 550 yards. 2 second flight time is fun.

No reason it wouldn't be good on a 10/22 as well.

Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Suggest you get something with parallax adjustment for rimfire shooting since you'll likely find yourself shooting well within 100 yards frequently. I'm running a ~$250 Vortex Diamandback HP 2-8x32. The glass is pretty meh, obviously, so I'll probably upgrade, but it cost more than the rifle at the time. Now the only original Ruger parts I have are the receiver and the bolt, so will probably be looking to upgrade the glass, the Vortex has parallax adjustment which has proved useful for shooting under 50 yards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I know Leupold doesn't get a lot of love ... but I run a 6x18 AO on my 10/22. Not a custom build, just a factory target model. The scope has adjustable parallax adjustment down to 50 yards, reasonable priced, customer service has always treated me well (only had to use them twice, and on different scopes). I lucked out and got a real shooter from Ruger; haven't touched a thing but put optics on it. Not in league with a Steiner and some of the higher end scopes though.

Beautiful chunk of wood!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!