Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow Mercon MK1 1-6x24 optic observations and thoughts

I’ve been able to test the Mercon MK1 1-6x low power variable optic for the last few weeks. I wanted to post my thoughts thus far on the optic as I’ll probably have 1-2 more shooting outings before I have to return it and I want to be able to affirm or amend this as necessary with more trigger time. At this point, I’ve shot around 300 rounds through the rifle with it on (crossing a 2500rd milestone with my Ultramatch Mod 2 .223 Wylde barrel, it’s due for a thread update also). In addition to the trigger time, I’ve spent considerable “tinker time” with the optic. Here are my thoughts

Specs

18.5oz (PST II 1-6x is 22.7oz)
    30mm tube
    24mm objective
    100yd parallax (fixed)
    SFP
    Adustable In .2 mrad increments
    1x CR2032
    $899

Observations

With the time I spent with the MK1, there were some things I liked about it but also things that I didn’t, so I’m going to be as honest as I can about my experience with it. Don’t take my negative remarks as me bashing it but rather an “it is what it is” kind of thing.

The MK1 is a solid, robust scope that is waterproof and shockproof, and also has an “End of Days” warranty which covers the scope til the “last day” in case of a manufacturer defect or an issue with the workmanship. One negative is that if you refinish the scope, whether cerakote or spray paint it, the scope is no longer warrantied or guaranteed by Mercon (per the manual and the FAQ on their site). That’s a big deal for me since I spray paint a lot of my rifles and accessories

It comes in a Bobro mount made for Mercon, so you can get this optic on the rifle quickly and you don’t have to worry about it loosening up.

The glass is exceptional from 3x to 6x with a lot of light transmission. But on the low end, primarily 1x, 1.5x, and somewhat at 2x, the distortion is pretty hard to ignore. If you’re shooting and moving and your sight picture shifts, you’ll notice the fish tank distortion of everything around the reticle.

Speaking of magnification, the adjustment knob looks like it’s designed so it won’t catch on the shooter. It’s got a low profile, it’s rounded and smooth...but it can be difficult to manipulate, especially on the fly or wearing gloves. It appears to be removable so Mercon might be offering new levers soon.

I zeroed it initially at 100 yards and did some shooting. The dot is small enough to make precise shots with:
    5 rounds, slow fire:

10 rounds, 1 shot per second:

I rezeroed it at 50 yards, and want to check the BDC holdovers and see how they translate downrange on my next outing and if different bullet weights make a significant difference. The dials were easy to adjust windage and elevation, with tactile clicks. Resetting the turrets to zero was easy: just lift it and turn.

My biggest complaint besides the distortion is likely the illumination. The dial goes from setting 1-11, with off positions in between each number. In the daytime, the illuminated dot is mostly nonexistent unless you’re on setting 11, and even then (center of reticle):

The daytime function is somewhat bearable and could be overlooked...if that’s where it ended. Nighttime really brings the issues out.

Settings 1 & 2 were not visible to my naked eye. Only my NVG made the reticle “appear” but I don’t think this is intentional as nothing I saw on their site indicated an NVG setting. Setting 3 was visible, but only just so. My ACOG’s tritium lamp was brighter than setting 3 but juuuust shy of setting 4.

In order to be visible when using white light at night, the minimum useful setting was 5, but 7 was better due to my 600 lumen Streamlight washing it out. This brings the last issue up. There is A LOT of illumination spill rearward. So much that it puts a halo around the entire lens:

Setting 5:

Setting 9:

The illumination not only creates a halo around the inside of the optic but there is significant light “spill” back towards the shooter:

Setting 5:

Setting 7:

Setting 10:

As you can see, it gets to the point where the BUIS and other parts become lit up by the light escaping.

All in all, the optic has some very positive qualities and when it came down to shooting, it can and does provide results but in order to get there, several issues with the scope have to be overlooked, and for the price point of this optic, that is asking quite a bit

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this a pre production version they sent you to demo?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Is this a pre production version they sent you to demo?
    I got this one from UWone to mess with. Unsure if it’s preproduction or if it’s identical to units being sold presently

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not Pre-Pro.

Good insights, that mirror a lot of other T&E'ed ones out there. They're getting close to finalizing the Gen II model to replace this one. Hopefully it addresses most of your concerns.