Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Your opinion and advice is welcome and respected. However, I don't really want to get into photography, just need a decent camera for racing sports, family and friends, and fishing. So while I might purchase a bigger zoom down the road, I don't plan on buying a bunch of lens's. I also like the idea of a "mirrorless" camera. Not sure how serious photographers feel about them, though as of now I have no experience to draw conclusions from. Also like the Wi-Fi feature.

Voodoo Man also recommended a Canon M50 mirroless that can use most Canon lenses with WI-FI, but starting costs are a lot more.

Thanks,

FT
    I have no experience with mirror less cameras but they are the big fad right now.

Mirror less design is primarily a new design of camera body that is smaller and more compact than the traditional "bigger" mirror based cameras that you have seen all over the place.

For your needs that you said, everything looks great except that "racing sports" part. That part alone makes your needs more specialized.

I have an older Panasonic point and shoot that seems like it would fit the bill for what you want. If I recall correctly it shoots some insane amount of frame rate per second for the generation of camera that it is. Plus it has a great zoom ability and a Leica lens.

It's smaller than a phone but fatter. You can easily put it in your pocket.

If you want one that is waterproof that's another thing as well. If that's not a consideration then something like that Panasonic I have would be perfect. That high frame rate which you just toggle in and out of as needed is awesome.

It has good enough "modes" for average shooting needs. By modes I mean a big dial on top that you you turn to whatever you are doing and it changes the settings to preset values for you. For example if you are shooting at night or in darker space like around dusk just turn the dial there and go for it.

I will try to look around at some of the Panasonic point and shoot cameras and see what they offer now.

Upgrading your phone is still the best option overall but a point and shoot with some crazy frame rate would be great for the sports stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking a little bit more of this and while I may off base here, I think that buying a camera and related tech needs to be thought of in a vertical level/step way in terms of skill set and requirements.

If you just want decent photos and not much work, any modern cellphone which was made in the last 3 or so months will fit the bill. My pixel 3 for example can easily deliver nearly all things I need, or most people need, for personal photography. Where it comes short is the specific need for large resolution and niche photography, like macro or specific bokeh type shots. It can do both but not as well as a specific setup designed for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks to all. I've got a lot to think about now. I'll just have to sort through the options you've given me and see what fits my needs

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member