Downloads
    Uploads

Surefire X300 vs. Streamlight TLR-1

Any of you guys used either of these? Is the Surefire really worth 150$ more? Is one or the other easier to operate on an AR? I'm looking to put one in the 12 o'clock position, ahead of the FSB on a DDM4.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently got one of the new TLR-1 C4 versions from OMBExpress for $79 w/free shipping. They've had to raise their prices but are offering a special ($99 w/12 batteries, Disclaimer: I have no affiliation).

It's a great light. Clean white, bright, even beam. The mounting system and switch are different than the Surefire's. The TLR-1 sits slightly higher above the rail, however same-plane and standard FSP will be visible if mounted in the 12'oclock position on the rail. I have mine mounted at 12 o'clock on a PRI rifle length forearm and a LMT front sight and MI folding sight both clear it, but it is visible in the bottom of your sight picture below the front sight post.

Edited to add:

Here's one mounted on a DDM4 at a recent Vickers Tactical Carbine Class. Photo Credit: Ted Tae.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own both and, based on my non-professional appraisal, would likely opt for the TLR-1 based on the price difference - unless the desired application includes usage as a pistol light.

I prefer the engineering of the X300 based on ease of attachment, battery installation, and especially the "push" activation (pushing the activation switch into the light vs. rotating the paddles of the switch around an central axis that aligns with the center line of the light). In terms of brightness, The Streamlight looks a bit brighter and wider, but they are very comparable.

Expanding on the subjectivity of ergonomics, I prefer the X300 on a pistol, since the push-style engagement lends itself to more efficient access with an extended trigger finger, whereas the TLR-1 would require more explicit movement of the finger and in a inefficient range of motion that tempts grip adjustment and complicates the transition from light to trigger. That being said, I prefer that extended motion requirement when activating either light with my thumb when mounted in the foregrip position on a rifle.

If I were buying again, the requirement of pistol usage would be the only justification for the X300 over the TRL-1.

I recently picked up this package and I'm very pleased. Many online retailers are selling the light alone for near this price. I don't have many other foregrips to compare to, but the fit and finish on this unit are solid, and the price is hard to beat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    nb hits on a lot of my thoughts as well. I would, however, put a huge premium on the switching issue, as well as the mount. Although in some cases on rifles I could see the TLR mount as being advantageous since it doesn't have to be slid on.

I'm still working on enough free time to take some comparison photos of the two. I know it's subjective, but the Surefire product just still "seems" like a better constructed product, made of better materials, to me.

My main issue is that I see certain scenarios where the X300 switch is a major advantage, and in the interest of not complicating things I'd be inclined to just use that light everywhere.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Picked up one of the TLR-1 and it's really pretty nice. It's a really nice light. Bright and has different inserts for different mounts. I suppose if I needed a switch then the Surefire would work.. but for the cost.. I'll stick with Streamlight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would venture and say that I prefer the Surefire X300 for the 12 O Clock position, primarily since I prefer its push button switch there.

I have had ~4 TLR-1s (3 of the new C4 LEDs and 1 original when they first came out), 2 Insight Procyons, and 3 Surefire X300s. For my handguns I use the Procyons and my rifles that can take a light at the 12 O Clock position I run X300s. I do not like the paddle switch on the Procyon or TLR-1 for rifle use as I have had my get stuck in the on position from getting bumped. It is not an issue on a handgun as a holster generally covers the switch (at least with my Ravens). I also prefer the Procyon over the TLR-1 for handgun use, as momentary on is down on both sides, allowing better muscle memory for me.

With all that said, my Procyons and X300s have taken the most abuse/use and are still going. I had my original TLR-1 die on me from range/carry use only after 2 years. In all fairness, Streamlight replaced it with a brand new C4 very quickly, no questions asked.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Take a peek at the insight Procyon, while you're at it.

Solid construction, 125+ lumen output,
    Constant, Momentary, Strobe,
    Run Time: 90 Minutes
    Hard-Coat Anodized Aluminum Construction
    Limited Lifetime Warranty
    MSRP -$179.99 (can be found for +/- $125.00)

http://www.insighttechgear.com/products-procyon.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was very close to ordering a Procyon for my comparison, as it appears to be the third most popular light of this type and it seemed appropriate to include it. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $180 for it when I see it as an "also ran" at best.

the attraction for me to the TLR was that it was half the price of the Surefire, but when the Surefire can be found for $200, the $20 savings to get the Procyon just didn't make sense to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I posted this elsewhere

Streamlight TLR-1
    $100+/-
    Dimensions:
    Weight: 4.18 oz.
    LED Output: 135 lumens
    Run Time: 2.5 hours
    Waterproof: 1 Meter

Insight Procyon XTI
    $120 +/-
    Dimensions: 1.6” x 1.5” x 3.2”
    Weight: 4.0 oz. w/Batteries
    LED Output: 125+ Lumens
    Run Time: 90 Minutes
    Waterproof: At 5 Meters / 15 Feet

Surefire X300
    $200+/-
    Dimensions: 1.39" x 1.43" x 3.53"
    Weight: 3.7 ounces (with batteries)
    LED Output: 110 lumens
    Run Time: 2.4 hours
    Waterproof: 22 meters

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've currently got a TLR-1 on my rifle and a Procyon on my G19. Picked up the TLR recently through the $79 sale at OMB. I don't care for the attachment method of the TLR-1, but I'm not that concerned with quick removal, as that light just stays on there. The Procyon on the other hand, comes on and off quite often, as I use my G19s for carry and nightstand use, the Procyon shines here, as does the X300, compared to the TLR-1. I find all three lights sufficient in terms of output. While all three lights have different switching methods, the Procyon on a pistol and the TLR-1 at 12 o'clock on my AR both work the same way, use weak side thumb to push down on the paddle. I don't like the activation of the X300 on a pistol, I find I can activate the Procyon easier without compromising my grip as much. Both are certainly usable though. I'd use any of the three without a worry if I had to. That said, I'm certainly not a hard user; not LEO and no longer .mil.

Rob, you reference two different prices for the Procyon (180 vs 120); from what I've seen the $120 (+/-) is the more accurate of the two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    $180 was in the link the first guy posted, $120 was what I found after a froogle.com search when I first did the research. I'd assume that the lower price is still an accurate street price.

Maybe I'll still pick one up at that price for my comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    TLR-1 - Solid construction and priced just right! I'm not sure if Streamlights customer service has changed for the better but the last weapon mounted light I owned from Streamlight took some damage at a SWAT school and they were horrible in terms of trying to fix or replace it! I immediately went with a Surefire X200B and have never looked back!

X300 - Having seen and used both I prefer the X300 because I think it's built a little more robust. The price is an issue but I think you get what you pay for and with Surefire you not only get quality products you also get the best customer service anywhere! No questions asked! It gets replaced for free!!

Procyon - I have one member of my team that has sent this light back twice for repairs! He is less than happy with this light! I have only used it a few times and liked some of the features. My only concern is that having a light that continues to malfunction and break is not safe. The mounting bracket has broke twice and so has the switch. I would look into this light a bit further if it is a possible purchase.
    Adversity introduces us to ourselves

Facebook: Loess Hills Tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have two x300s.

i had one streamlight tlr-1.

i think the spot is better with the x300 although the spill is what i would call "softer." this may be what leads to to say that the tlr-1 is "brighter."

the color of the light is different between the two also, i was surprised to find that the surefire is more blue.

the surefire's ergonomics are superior. it's absolutely ambidextrous (this is important to me because i'm left handed). up and down is constant on for both sides of the light. press the flippy switch and you get momentary on. that said the surefire's constant on switches are a little stiff. the streamlight's flippy switch is much easier to actuate (but it has no push feature).

the streamlight's package is wider in every dimension, the surefire is longer. the surefire seems like it was made for mounting at 12 o clock on a rifle, it's not that noticeable in the iron sight picture (streamlight is noticeable, does not block the front post entirely, but is noticeable as in it's in the front post picture).

when talking about ambidexterity for mounting at 12 o clock on a rifle, the streamlight wasn't hard for me (left hander) to actuate momentary on despite what i thought before i tried it. it was easy to reach over the rail to the momentary on side. it would only get easier for a right hander as the momentary on is on the left side (when the light is mounted upside down at 12 o clock). i did get the feeling i could bump the streamlight into constant on accidentally.

to sum it all up, my streamlight died on me. very unexpectedly. it worked one day and then the next day it stopped. gave me quite a scare. streamlight refurbed it very quickly. then i put it on ebay and bought two x300s.