Downloads
    Uploads

Glock compensator mounting questions

I'm currently building out a Glock 17 upper with a Silencerco threaded barrel to use on my P80 lower.

I bought an Agency Arms 417 compensator and I have a couple questions:

I am concerned that the comp will come undone and lock up the gun. Despite their marketing, the little hole in the bottom (which captures the guide rod) does not work 100% to keep the comp centered if it comes loose. I've had it lock up several times just racking the slide manually with dummy rounds. I purposely did not crank the set screws down super hard, and it came loose very quickly.

SO, should I use Rocksett on the muzzle threads, or just the set screws? (in which case I'd use anti-seize on the muzzle threads).

I don't plan to use this for a carry gun so reliability is not SUPER important, but still I don't like to have any guns that could potentially become unusable because of a silly, completely avoidable problem.

SO, 2nd question: is a comp worth the trouble on a Glock 17?

Lastly, I've read several accounts of Rocksett failure after a short time. Should I consider using Loctite 680 (green) or something like that instead?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used Loctite Blue on the set screws and comp. Haven't had an issue yet, although when I did have a goofy extractor issue after I mounted my RMR (long story) I had it twist on me slightly when trying to break the pistol down from the frame.

Got me to thinking, I may dimple the barrel for the set screws. Mine is a 22, with a S3F 9mm conversion barrel. I had to have my local shop open the compensator up to fit the barrel. (417C)
    Last edited by GriffonSec; 12 November 2018 at 08:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only own a couple of Comps, and they've worked themselves loose without thread locker. I still don't trust it 100%.

If you insist on a comp, you might also want to consider the Killer Innovations one that doesn't use screws at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Appreciate the responses guys. I think I'll skip the comp for now, maybe I'll revisit it later. Probably good to have a baseline for the gun without it first anyhow.

I like that Killer Innovations design. I saw another similar one that came with a barrel already machined with a cutout. I would definitely trust that a lot more than threadlocker ... guess I should have done a bit more research before I bought the barrel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have successfully used a combination of Loctite 2422 and a Viton o-ring to keep my HKParts comps on for thousands of rounds. Having of switched to the Arc Sparc comps, I'm utilizing only Loctite 2422 and the set screws (with a dusting of rosin on the set screws), and haven't had any issues coming up to about a thousand round at this juncture. The PMM compensators are timed with shims, like a muzzle brake, so there's also that.

Ultimately, micro-comps are kinda of a gimmick, IMO; for some ammo, there just isn't very much difference to be had (my 147 gr shots have had minimal differences), while even for those with definite perceived differences, such as my Lawman 115 gr or Gold Dot 124 gr +P, the difference on the timer did not readily appear for me (I typically perform around 55% to 60% of the GMs at my local USPSA match, shooting in open). It can make longer shooting sessions more pleasant with some ammo, and it can make one-handed stuff a little easier, and there are some folks that think it really helps with longer range multiple hits on target with the RDS, but the trade-off is a reduced reliability window and limited holster choices (especially for non-Glock platforms).

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my own education, is there something about pistols that makes the Rocksett less functional? On the rifle side, it seems like prep is key and with the right prep every time, I've had zero issues on my many rifles.

Is the recoil impulse doing something different on pistols?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now there isn't a comp on the market that won't eventually work itself loose. Might take a while but it will.

Downloads
    Uploads