Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

300blkout Self Defense Round. What do you recommend?

Basically what the title says. I finished a 300blkout pistol build (9.5” barrel). Runs great shooting 150gr AE. I don’t have a suppressor since my state made them illegal.

So SuperSonics most likely all I would be using. What would you recommend for a good self defense round? I’m open to all ideas. Was really interested in Gorilla Ammo controlled chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe Barnes 110gr tac tx fb. That's what the special guys on my department use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
    Maybe Barnes 110gr tac tx fb. That's what the special guys on my department use.
    2nd that

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...free-box-of-20

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
    That’s one KB @ Q recommended to in a recent Q&A.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with the recommendation of Barnes 110s as well. I wouldn’t trust boutique rounds for SD, and I wouldn’t use subs either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well that was fast and simple. Barnes it shall be. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lehigh Defense seems to be the leader in terms of science w/r to 300 BLK terminal ballistics. Call it boutique all day long, but nobody's going to stand in front of this. Speed is what causes tissue quake and temporary cavitation, although its important to note that real life surgical exploration of wound tracks on living and dead victims has found that in general simulated hypothetical damage via gelatin studies is way over-represented compared to IRL wound tracks.

IOW: you would do far better to study TB results on cuts of beef with respect to extremity hits. A small takeaway is that body shots of any kind are better than a missed center mass shot.

Last edited by Joelski; 19 November 2018 at 14:14.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry but I disagree with the supersonic as a HD round. I can not imagine firing a unsuppressed supersonic 300BO indoors. Too loud, too much flash and far to much risk of over penetration. Wood and drywall built houses that round might not stop after 5-6 walls. I shouldered a 150lb whitetail and it passed through and wound up hitting a tractor 75 yards away.

Just think when the last time you heard a 30/30 is a good HD round? Lol

LEO’S needs vs a HD round are far different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Sorry but I disagree with the supersonic as a HD round. I can not imagine firing a unsuppressed supersonic 300BO indoors. Too loud, too much flash and far to much risk of over penetration. Wood and drywall built houses that round might not stop after 5-6 walls. I shouldered a 150lb whitetail and it passed through and wound up hitting a tractor 75 yards away.

Just think when the last time you heard a 30/30 is a good HD round? Lol

LEO’S needs vs a HD round are far different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That’s interesting because Q recommended Lehigh and Discreet for subsonic hunting but not defense. I personally use subsonic Lehigh for SD but that Q&A with KB had me doubting. Maybe it was just the “safe” answer...?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another video to add to Joelski's vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vtO0ibMO0

The bleeding heart . . .
    “Fast is fine, But accuracy is final.” Wyatt Earp

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was looking in to Hornadys Sub-X

I’ve been loading 190 subs, so for HD, the ballistics should be similar enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd3 View Post
    I was looking in to Hornadys Sub-X

I’ve been loading 190 subs, so for HD, the ballistics should be similar enough.
    I’ve been thinking about these also. Winchester has put out a subsonic in the Super X line also. I haven’t purchased any subs yet, mainly cause I don’t have a suppressor, but if I were to use my blackout pistol for HD I’d be onboard with Sinner’s thoughts with over penetration and deafening everyone inside the house. I’ve considered it as a last ditch weapon if looting went down during hurricane season in my locale, for that I’ve got mags loaded with Hornady Black 110gr Vmax since they’re nasty on hogs and deer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Subs would fuck up a BG's day fo shizzle. When you shoot something like a sheet of steel or plywood at 100 yds with a suppressor on and there's no real gun noise, the racket it makes on impact tells me its a murderous hit! Compared to a .223 hit, there's no comparison. Ft lbs tell the tale with the fatty rounds!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Subs would fuck up a BG's day fo shizzle.
    Subsonic 300 BLK also defeats Level 2 soft body armor.