Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Tactical" pants

OK, so I'm one of those guys that bought Royal Robbins, then 5.11s, then Woolrich Elite, and have recently been shopping the Eotacs...

Each time a new company has come along it's seemed like there was enough of an improvement to at least try the new ones. So now I have a whole closet that could serve as a living history of the tactical pant.

Gotta say though, I'm about ready to just go back to the old-school ripstop BDU pants. I worked in an Army Surplus/Police Supply/Gun shop for a few years and have a bunch of old BDUs I've been bumming around the house in, and I have to say that I really like the damn things. Fit right, enough pockets without funky closures, and I REALLY prefer the old waist adjusters to the new-fangled move to elastic waistbands (what are we, 10 year olds wearing Toughskins our parents don't want us to outgrow?).

Anyone figure this out way before I did? Anyone else thinking of simplifying?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've obviously got ACU/BDU/DCU uniform pants and Woolrich Elites ... and that's about it for "tactical wear." Of course, I don't wear uniform pants off-duty, but if the occasion doesn't lend itself to WE's, then Levis usually do quite nicely.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's funny you mention that. Jeans to me are "work" clothes for the most part since I typically wear them on jobsites. I don't mind wearing them too much in the winter, but down here that's about 5 minutes long and beyond that they are just too damn hot for outdoor use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also use carhart cargo and carpenter pants due to style and being tough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I also use carhart cargo and carpenter pants due to style and being tough.
    beat me to it....
    -Mitch-

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still wearing Royal Robbins and 5.11's, I still look at my BDU's as work wear, not play wear. Thinking carharts may make new tac pants for me as I like the cut.

Dutch
    si vis pacem para bellum
    Colt M16 Armorer, Colt 1911 Armorer, Glock Armorer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Over the years I have gone through a bunch of tactical pants, in search of the ultimate pair of course. My agency supplies instructors with 5.11's and they work, but there's better choices available for range use. I like the larger front pockets on the Woolrich version, but haven't tried the EOTAC ones. Tru-Spec 24/7 pants are in interesting twist that are usable for everyday wear around here.
    My older BDU's are apparently defective and suffered some closet shrinkage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yeah Eric, also have one pair of 24/7, although they do run a bit baggy/big.

Forgot to add Fjäll Räven to the list. lightweight , tuff pants with great materials used. Don't know how big the brand is in CONUS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually like the solid-color BDUs, preferably the tan, and not the issue type in woodland or other patterns. I think that makes them a little less militaristic in terms of looking too "tactical" when out and about.

Honestly, if the tac-pant people would ditch the damn little-kid elastic waistbands and put the old-school BDU waist adjustment tabs on them instead I'd be a lot happier with them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a few pair of "tactical" pants. I've been impressed with the new Blackhawk Warrior Wear Pants. For $25 (on the trade in program) they are good to go, but I wouldn't pay more than that. I actually like the elastic waistband as I usually order 2" big for IWB carry, but when I am not carrying the pants tend to bunch up when I cinch down my belt. Why they put MOLLE straps on the seat...I have no clue.

I actually like the pairs of Wolverine Work Jeans I picked up at Ross for $15. After blowing out a pair of Woolrich Elite pants at my last class, I am really trying to stick with pants with gusseted crotches for hard use (as the Wolverines have). They are 12oz denim, but I have not found it to hot in SFL (granted I am used to wearing jeans in this heat). I also prefer jeans since I like to fly under the radar and I rarely ever use the cargo pockets (esp. when I wear knee pads as the straps make them useless).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the Wrangler Riggs Ripstop Ranger Pant

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gotta pair of LA Gear's cargo pants and 24/7 Cargo pants. I haven't seen the quality yet, but I'll post it when I get it. I heard TAD Gear is very good, and it's USA made.. though they sometime get out of stock quickly or they don't have stock. Bit annoying for a clothing company to be out of stock all the time, especially for the price you pay.

Oh and people say that LA Gear copied TAD Gear's design.. but seems like everyone is copying everyone nowadays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    TAD Gear makes most everything according to the "small batch" principle, so when you see something is available, the time to buy it is probably right then. I haven't quite seen my way clear to spend $100 on a pair of pants that I intend to run and gun with, but I do own several other TAD Gear products, and all have left me impressed.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Iv'e been using the TruSpec 24/7 pants for some time and they work for me. The secret to proper fit is to get one size smaller than your actual waist. I also like the fact that they come in canvas and ripstop nyco for hot weather use and, they also have shorts based on the same design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wrangler slim straight's usually do the trick for myself, i got into things to late to go after true Royal Robbins so my first ones were 5.11, they were cool while they lasted but then the Woolrich Elite's came out, i wasnt really feeling them until Cheaper Than Dirt had an instore sale on them for 20 bucks a pair, which was half off if not more at the time so i got a couple pair, for dedicated tactical wear they rock, way more comfortable then 5.11's AFAIC, and on a side note, they're good for shotgunning because i find that the cargo pocket fits perfectly a box of 12 guage with the top ripped off, just my 2 cents