Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
I have been wanting to get in the 6.8 game for a while. Started the new build and have been looking for a 18" barrel that has been machined to work with Ops Inc brakes and collars.

I found one a Bison Armory at a decent price. But they have redone the chamber from a 6.8spc II to the "bison chamber" here is a description of this chamber.

https://68forums.com/forums/showthre...son-Chamber&=1

I wanting this to be a MK12 style build and be able to use it hunting deer and hog out to about 300yds.

Does anyone recommend going with a different caliber like 6.5g?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread Alamo.

Tom

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The two 6.8 barrel makers with good reputations for accuracy (Bison and ARP) have both tweaked the chamber of their barrels, essentially creating a .233 Wylde like option for the caliber. So, I say buy that Bison barrel with confidence. If you weren't concerned about the ops collar, I'd probably try to steer you to the ARP barrel ( https://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38010/43898 )

I'll try to avoid turning this into 6.8 SPC vs 6.5 Grendel thread by saying that either will get the job done and you'd be well served by the 6.8 SPC for your intended application. One caveat with the 6.8 SPC is you really need to hand load to achieve the full potential due to Remington's botched SAAMI spec that all the all factory ammo is loaded to. It's still a great round even with factory ammo, but you can easily squeeze more juice out of the round if you load. Avoid barrels built to the SAAMI ("SPC I") spec.

Back to the OP...

I'm a big fan of the 6.8 SPC in the AR. I think it's a great intermediate cartridge. I've got two. Out of a suppressed 12.5" barrel shooting 100 gr Accubonds I was getting around 2,620 fps at higher charges although the best accuracy appears to be around 2,550fps (28.5gr of AA2200) which is about where my SSA Factory rounds clock in. That seems to jive well with Jerry's data above.

One of the things I like about the 6.8 SPC is it performs very well out of short barrels. Bullet selection in .277 is pretty good, too.

I think the main 6.8mm option (wildcat) is the 277 Wolverine which is based on .223 cartridge so will have less case capacity. Folks do shoot the 6.8 subsonic, but if you are going to cripple the round that much you might as well stay with the 300 AAC or get a PCC, IMO.

Comparing supers, putting the 300 AAC up against the 6.8 SPC isn't even a fair fight. The case capacity of the 6.8 lets you push that round in ways the Blackout was never intended.