Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aging eyesight SBRs and LPVO

I just recently turned the ripe old age of 38 but have the eyesight of somebody in their 60's. My astigmatism just keeps getting worse every year. As much as I like my Red Dots, my eyes just make a mess out of the dot.

I have recently made the decision to move to all etched reticle optics and the last move I have to make is my suppressed 10.3" SBR that doubles as my home defense go to rifle. I currently have an Aimpoint PRO on it which, in reality, is fine for the distances it will be used for, even with my eyes. But, I would like to keep my SBR more usable out to 100 yards and that constellation of stars in my Red dot makes things a bit difficult. Don't get me wrong, I can make hits...I just don't like what I am seeing through the lens.

I was thinking of doing a 1x prism or a LPVO. There seem to be a few new options out there from Primary Arms, Vortex, Burris, Athlon, Bushnell...but I am not convinced of their durability as compared to the Aimpoint considering their country of origin is questionable (but there are some things made there that seem to be quite well built). Maybe these prisms are that well built (anybody have input).

But this leaves me with a LPVO as an option. Am I nuts for considering putting a LPVO on a 10.3" SBR? That will be considerable weight and bulk on a rifle that is supposed to be small and compact. But the upside is that I have a true 1x for home defense and more usable weapon system for even beyond 100 yards. I was thinking of something simple like a Vortex Viper Gen 1 1-4x.

Is my thinking crazy? Just keep the Aimpoint PRO? LPVO? Risk it with an unproven prism?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Switch to a T2 and magnifier. I have significant astigmatism and this combination gives a crisp dot.

There's nothing wrong with a 1-4/6/8 on a 10.5 either.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    My astigmatism is severe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm surprised, actually. My eyes will be 61 years old in a few days. Red dots work great for me. I currently am waiting to have surgery to remove a cataract in my left eye, and the red dots are just a blur, but I expect that to be excellent after the surgery, as I've already had one removed and artificial lens in my right eye (dominate). I talked to my optometrist once about this, and he's an avid shooter and hunter. He did say that there is so many variables involved, however, that what works for one person and not another. If you take Slippers advice, I'd hold on buying the magnifier, until you know for sure you need it, then purchase one. I have T1's and a T2, and they work fine without any magnification. Again, that may not apply to you, but you might avoid additional expense if you wait until you use a T1 or T2 before you buy the magnifier. Then if you need it, no problem.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no RDS that I have looked through that is not a constellation of stars, and I really don't want a magnifier...If I go with magnification it will be a LPVO. If I don't go with magnification I will by trying out some 1x prisms. Primary Arms seems to be the way to go at the moment...but the knock around reliability is yet to be proven. I think I will be safe with a Vortex Viper if I go that way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    There is no RDS that I have looked through that is not a constellation of stars, and I really don't want a magnifier...If I go with magnification it will be a LPVO. If I don't go with magnification I will by trying out some 1x prisms. Primary Arms seems to be the way to go at the moment...but the knock around reliability is yet to be proven. I think I will be safe with a Vortex Viper if I go that way.
    Just to confirm, have you actually looked through a T2? It's not the same as a T1. The T1 isn't a crisp dot for me unmagnified, but it's very usable. A T1 with a magnifier is like a big comma. The T2 has none of that.

Give all that, how about an ACOG w/ a donut or chevron?

And small point of order, but your astigmatism isn't getting worse, it's just your eyes are getting more reactive to said astigmatism. Some of that can be mitigated with glasses, but some of it can't.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Just to confirm, have you actually looked through a T2? It's not the same as a T1. The T1 isn't a crisp dot for me unmagnified, but it's very usable. A T1 with a magnifier is like a big comma. The T2 has none of that.

Give all that, how about an ACOG w/ a donut or chevron?

And small point of order, but your astigmatism isn't getting worse, it's just your eyes are getting more reactive to said astigmatism. Some of that can be mitigated with glasses, but some of it can't.
    Mine can not.

I have thought about an ACOG but there is no 1x available. They do have a 1.5x but I would have to see how well I could use it before purchasing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run some 1-4x24's on SBR's. Sounds like a donut reticle would work well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my experience, GatorDev is right on the mark. Slipper's, also. As I said the only thing I would do different than slipper would be to buy the magnifier, until after you try one without it. I think the T2 has a more crisp dot than the T1. Both are great RDS's, but with my eyesight. I can loan you my T2, if you promise to send it back. . Could save you about 6 or 7 Benjies if you don't like it.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I run some 1-4x24's on SBR's. Sounds like a donut reticle would work well.
    It doesn't surprise me that a cop would recommend donuts...

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that a cop would recommend donuts...

FT
    I'll eat the shit out of a donut.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never saw a donut I didn't like.

I think you all may have steered me towards a LPVO on my SBR. Never thought I would.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll still see the starburst unmagnified, but the T2 was designed to give a crisp dot when viewed with a good magnifier. Every person I know that has an astigmatism sees a crisp dot on my one rifle that has a T2 and G33.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still on sale: https://www.scopelist.com/vortex-vor...rzr-16005.aspx

Edit: just came across this recent video on LPVO from Kyle Defoor you might find interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzPlsr5vjaM
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 3 December 2018 at 22:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    You'll still see the starburst unmagnified, but the T2 was designed to give a crisp dot when viewed with a good magnifier. Every person I know that has an astigmatism sees a crisp dot on my one rifle that has a T2 and G33.
    I wonder why my "E" model cost $300 bucks more, with a military discount? Can't be that much more of a difference...
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger