Downloads
    Uploads

LPVO on my SBR...now to Zero

Thanks for all your help with the decision making of switching out optics on my HD SBR. I found a very good condition Vortex Viper 1-4x so I picked it up and put it in my Warne mount. Very happy with the outcome, but I need to go out to the range and zero this guy now.

Normally with a LPVO I would zero at 100 yards to take advantage of the BDC and the Mil Rad reticle...however, this is a CQB rifle and was thinking that just using it as a dead hold circle dot reticle would work best for my application. This 10.3" rifle won't be reaching out to 600 yards so using the reticle to its potential is moot. I was thinking about just Zeroing at 25 yards, then checking my holdovers at 7, 50, and 100 yards and calling it a day. Is this a reasonable plan?

Anyway...if you were just in for the pics...
    Thanks to Fort Tom for the stock!

Last edited by rxer311; 8 December 2018 at 16:55.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd suggest a 50 yard zero

Source: Arma-Dynamics

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whatever you decide, since this is for HD, after you sight it in, practice distances between 7yds and the longest shooting lane in your house so that you know the offset impact point. Knowing your impact at close ranges is important especially if you are in an unlikely but critical precision situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    50 yards.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would recommend 50 yard zero using 77 grain or 75 grain ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also consider a 35 yard zero.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm typically a 50y zero guy on anything dot related but on scopes capable of shooting much farther in an exacting, measured way (ie, LPVOs), I zero it for 100y and then set the turret to whatever I want. On my LPVOs, I'll zero it 100y and then spin the turret to ~.4 mil, check it at 50y and call it good. I mostly shoot 200y and in, but this way if I want to take the rifle to another range with longer distances, there's no hassle.

Same idea applies to anything with a BDC, albeit with the understanding that the BDC will be out to lunch on a shorter barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, so I appreciate everybody's input on this subject.

I did ended up going with my initial thought of a 25 yard zero for a few reasons.

First, I measured the longest sight lane in my house and it was exactly 25 yards. When practicing at the range, I was right on at 25 yards, an inch low at 15 yards, and 2.5 inches low at 7 yards. This is a quick and easy adjustment to remember.

Also, when I plug my data into the ballistic calculator it also puts me within +/- 3" out to 250 yards but falls off quickly after that considering the length of the barrel. I would not be using this rifle out past that range. But this zero gives me center mass hits out to 250 yards without using any of the scopes BDC reticle markings. It just seemed to be the simplest zero for my application with easy to remember holdovers for in home defense.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds good to me.

But wow, your house has a shooting lane 25yds long!?! That’s some house. Or is that down the hall of your apartment complex?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My house is more of an open floorplan , but is long, not wide. 25 yards is the absolute max, so 1-12 yards would most likely be the most likely scenario.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    But wow, your house has a shooting lane 25yds long!?! That’s some house. Or is that down the hall of your apartment complex?
    Just note, if you go to the bathroom it's the 7th door on the left if you get lost just use the intercom.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I certainly wouldn’t want to defend a 75’ shot in court unless you live in a very conservative state.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indoors... for home defense, if you can't use a red dot, I would just go with irons. I think this is where you either get a shorter can or a 9mm sub gun. Shorter the better for me inside my house.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I certainly wouldn’t want to defend a 75’ shot in court unless you live in a very conservative state.
    You'll have plenty of time before the police get there to move closer to the body.