Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12.5" Options

Downloads
    Uploads

12.5" Options

I have started building a 12.5" SBR twice...and each time something didn't suit me so I ripped them apart and parted them out. I have been saving some cash and after Christmas I will have a decent enough chunk of change to finally get a decent 12.5" SBR done. There are only a few 12.5" barrels out there right now and even less complete uppers ready to go. Here is my list...are there any others out there I am missing? I am currently considering these...

1. Larue Ultimate upper kit. Really dollar per dollar, these seem to be a great value. I love my 16" ultimate upper as it is easily sub MOA, and I am not even a great marksman. If I go this route, I will probably also just buy their lower as well to have a matched rifle. Still for $1000, its a complete rifle with good components. The only drawback is that I will have to wait months for the lower. I can always form 1 my current Larue Lower and just put the new one on my other rifle when it eventually shows up. The downside is that the lower is billet, and while it will fit other uppers it won't match.

2. BCM 12.5" complete upper. Once I add a BCM BCG and CH the price of these reaches over $800 and that is with the standard barrel as they don't offer their hammer forged barrels in this length. Not sure what sort of precision I could expect from this barrel, but I still think this would be a quality upper with quality components. Of course if I go this route, I'd have to spring for a BCM lower to match at another $400. So just over $1200 for the complete setup before the tax stamp.

3. Noveske crusader. Well, try finding a factory built crusader. I have to admit that I am a Noveske fanboy, even post John. The thing is I would be piecing this together from parts. This would easily be the most expensive option, even building off a Gen 1 set. It would be glorious, but also over budget. I would have to build the upper, then wait to build the lower, before doing the form 1.

4. Frankenbuild...what you got?

What others am I missing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Centurion said their 12.5 will be available again soon. Buy a complete upper from them. Their billet sets are available so form 1 a lower and make it a complete Centurion build.

VSeven has a 12.5 that is also good. I bet you can request a complete upper also.

SMOS had a 12.5 in carbine and midlength. But I don’t think they do retail. Maybe call them. Then go find a gfy set floating around. They were on sale as a complete set for BF for under $400 at Oregon Rifleworks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like Noveske, I think V Seven is going to be well over my budget.

I will have to look into the Centurion, but they don't currently have it on their website. Any idea when it will be available?

I love SMOS Stuff but their retail shut down and I don't want to scour the net to find parts.

Really looking forward to seeing what Centurion have to offer, but at this moment I think my options 1 and 2 are my best bets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 12.5" mid from Rainier, smooth shooter. Not sure if they still sell those barrels as they were the Rock Creek Blanks.

I've also got a Noveske 12.5 Crusader.

What's the budget?

Downloads
    Uploads
    AR15 Performance ("ARP") has a good reputation. They have a 12.5" barrel w/ .223 Wylde chamber and middy gas: https://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/38007/14399

I have essentially that same barrel in 6.8mm SPC. Will you be shooting suppressed? If so, you might like that mid gas. The ARP scout profile is on the lighter side.

Also, "True Sporting Arms" which is the outlet shop for Columbia River Arms (formerly Black Hole Weaponry) has a few 12.5 barrels on the cheap: https://truesportingarmsllc.com/prod...19-product_cat

I believe BHW used to make the Match barrels for Rainier. (Correction - it was their Select barrels)

Primary Arms has the BCM 12.5" on sale right now for $210: https://www.primaryarms.com/bravo-co...h-govt-profile

They also have a nice Criterion barrel that is $20 cheaper than on Criterion's site: https://www.primaryarms.com/criterio...e-chrome-lined

Lastly, FWIW, Daniel Defense also makes a 12.5" CHF barrel.

Edit: Hah! Never mind! It looks like you found what you needed right here from DISCOM
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 9 December 2018 at 19:37.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post

I believe BHW used to make the Match barrels for Rainier.
    Negative. Just their Select Barrels, which were never offered in 12.5

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I have a 12.5" mid from Rainier, smooth shooter. Not sure if they still sell those barrels as they were the Rock Creek Blanks.

I've also got a Noveske 12.5 Crusader.

What's the budget?
    Budget is around $1200 before stamp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And I will be shooting suppressed

I know there are a few more options out there in 12.5" barrels, but before I build one I want to explore turn key upper options. Whenever I started building one I would end up scrapping the build. If there are no turn key options that suit me, then I will build.

I really like the BCM option, but really would prefer the hammer forged barrel, but if the standard barrel will do the trick, I am up for that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got some posts about my 12.5" experiences. Go with a VSeven. If that's out of budget, personally I'd wait for the CA barrel. Mine has been fantastic in both accuracy and gassing. If you don't want to wait, I'm sure the BCM will be fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    what are you looking to do with it?

For the money you are going to find it VERY difficult to beat overall quality of BCM.

For just a little less you can score some decent finds from dsgarms.com - they use the same manufacturer as other large name barrel companies.

DD barrels are also very nice if you can find a contract over-run sale or something like that.

I'd stay as far as possible away from larue and noveske right now. Larue, while they are reported to make good stuff they aren't competitive in terms of pricing or performance for the price. Noveske changed some stuff around and their quality isn't as great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d have to echo what voodoo said. I have a BCM 11.5” upper and I shoot it suppressed and it’s been phenomenal. Again, I think for the price and quality you’ll be hard pressed to beat BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you looked at the Larue ultimate upper though? Billet upper/rail, barrel, assembly, bcg, ch, lpk, 2 stage mbt trigger, buffer assembly, stock, and grip for $800. $200 to add a Larue lower. Complete rifle for $800. It actually is a good value right now. I just don't know if that is my direction at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the Crusader 12.5" in one of my builds. It's heavy, relatively speaking. I much prefer my lightweight BCM CFH 14.5" for general use. They are both plenty accurate. I can make 2 hits on a 24" 400yd target before I hear the first one hit, no problem, with either one. But I would be a lot happier carrying around the lightweight BCM if I had to

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you considered 11.5? It seems those are the options available from KAC and LMT, so it must be a relevant length. Is the 50 fps worth one over the other?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!