Thread: Lantac BCG 5.56

Downloads
    Uploads

Lantac BCG 5.56

I have had several issues with a new build. First outing I was getting failure to feeds and bolt not locking on the last round. I initially suspected the carrier was moving to slowly so I swapped out the H2 with an H1 buffer. At this point I also had to reverse mortar the rifle several times because the BCG was stuck in battery. I thought the bolt was just real tight in the chamber and was hanging up. Didn't mortar it real hard but couldn't get it back by pulling on the CH. Second outing, I ran 5 full mags and seemed to work well. Fast forward to today when I needed to dial in the BUIS. Non stop failure to feeds and bolt not locking back on the last round either. Still managed to shoot 100 rounds down the pipe and dial in the BUIS, but what a PIA. Suspected the 20 round Gen3 Pmag but had issues even after I swapped mags to a 30 round Gen2 Pmag. Again it was difficult at times to lock the BCG to the rear as it felt "locked in battery". Didn't have to mortar it but had to put the stock in my chest and pull the CH with both hands to free it up. Got home and took it apart and flipped the upper over to find out what's going on. I was sliding the BCG in and out of battery by hand and from what I can tell the Domed cam pin is hanging up on the upper receiver cutout. I believe I have it in backwards! DOH! Looking at Lantacs site the pictures show the flat facing forward and I had it facing backwards toward the tail of the BCG. So long story short, can someone with a Lantac BCG tell me the correct orientation of the domed cam pin?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The flat should face forward.

I'll double check my eBCG's

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks UW. I switched it around and it feels better when racking it. Going to take it out to my carbine course tomm. and see how she does. Wonder if I should go back to the H2. The intermediate gas length on this 16" Lantac barrel is a new one on me...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it looks like the saga continues. I switched the cam pin around and had the same issues as stated above. I pulled the Lantac BCG out and ran it in two completely different rifles and it worked fine. I then pulled the WMD carrier out of the wife’s rifle and put it in my new build and had the same problems but even worse. I then put a LWRC DI BCG from my son’s rifle in mine and it ran fine, for one mag anyways. His gas rings are shot so there is no resistance from them like the other 2 BCG’s I tried. At this point I have tried different configurations with the various BCG’s and noticed something. The WMD BCG and the Lantac will slide into battery by hand but then when I try to pull it out its hanging up. I feel something is going on with the barrel extension. It feels like its grabbing onto the bolt and not letting go. Or it could be the cutout for the cam pin in the upper receiver which may be throwing the timing off. Really scratching my head on this on. Anybody got any ideas, I’m all ears...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any abnormal wear in the upper receiver?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just stripped it down and cleaned it up. No abnormal wear on the upper. Went through it with a fine tooth comb and found a few issues. The domed cam pin has excessive wear on it and it only has 200 rounds. (on the shaft that sits inside the bolt) The gas rings that were on it had extremely sharp edges and felt like it was binding on the inside of the BCG. The ejector spring was really weak and the barrel extension looks like a beaver had a field day on it. Its all butchered up, but the bolt face and bolt lugs looked fine. So now I ditched the domed cam pin for a standard which has a NiB coating on it. I replaced the gas rings with new ones. I pulled out the ejector and spring and put in a new set of those. The spring that came in the bolt was about 2-3 millimeters shorter than my replacements. I took a fine file and knocked down all the rough edges on the barrel extension and then used 1000 grit wet sand paper with Slip EWL and buffed it all out including the feed ramps which also had a nasty burr on it. It surely seems the barrel extension issues were stopping the bolt from backing out after a round was fired or really slowing it down so it would not cycle properly. This is Lantacs 16" barrel by the way. I will take it back out this weekend to see how it does. If the issues persist I am certain of two things. 1) I will pull that abortion of a barrel off and smash it with my sledge hammer. 2) I will pull the Hodge upper off and smash it with my sledge hammer as well. Thermal fit my ass. Even after being in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes it still took a four ton come along to get that barrel in...
    Last edited by Stone; 18 December 2018 at 18:22.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had that same issue (freaking incredibly tight) Lantac barrel several years ago. Had to beat it in, after heating, freezing didn't work. Never had another issue with it though. Don't really know if it was the upper or barrel, but I sure as hell wasn't going to pull it out, as long as it was no problem.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this is not a popular opinion, but I have no idea why Hodge stuff is so sought after.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I know this is not a popular opinion, but I have no idea why Hodge stuff is so sought after.
    I am right there with you. Every reason someone has provided to prove their worth is crediting some other manufacturers work or components. Like Umbrella without a cool logo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have one hodge upper receiver, rail, and barrel. Upper is tight. Rail is Mega quality.

I took the 12.5” barrel out to shoot groups this week for the first time. The 77gr was easily moa for me with magtech and privi match. That’s my only report. I can’t compare to other CHF barrels as this is my first.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I couldn't even get through a full mag without it locking up and failing to feed. I'm 99% sure the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver is out of spec along with all the machining burrs on that abortion of a barrel extension. The bolt locks in but you have to mortar it to get it back. I stripped it down and put the Hodge upper in a vice and flattened it along with the barrel. Ordered a Mega 16" barrel and a new stripped upper. Stay tuned... This is my sixth build and I hand pick higher end parts for my builds. All of my previous builds have functioned flawlessly. I take my time and try to do everything right...
    Last edited by Stone; 4 January 2019 at 20:45.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I haven't seen it either. I'm all for enhancements, but not at the expense of adding to the scrap barrel.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    UPDATE: 2/24/19

Put a new Mega 16" barrel and a V7 upper on this build. Took it to the range last night and function tested it and sighted in the BUIS. ZERO malfunctions in 150 rounds. Ran like a top! Well two things are for sure: I am done with Hodge and Lantac. For what they charge, their products should be next to flawless. There is more to this story behind the scenes but I am just going to let it go.