Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Article: Training for Reality: Reloads and Situational Awareness

Have we been training incorrectly? Incorporating certain illogical concepts into the finite reality of the "square range" and if we have, should we change it? This question comes up, from time to time, and it did after I wrote The Carry Reload in early 2017. There was a lot of research that needed to be done, so I sought out people who I knew had the experience I was looking to reference, to contrast against my own, and I wanted to get other information from various sources because I wanted this to be as unbiased as possible, I wanted the facts to lead me. The problem which we are constantly plagued with in the training industry is that we try to reinvent the wheel, we try to stick to the known, friendly and acceptable methods of instruction. The issue which comes out of this type of dogmatic training paradigm is that we find ourselves repeating drills based on nothing more than perceived need of doing so, or attempting to achieve some sort of status. Reloading is one those aspects of various drills which a lot of instructors incorporate in their coursework, and it should be, but should it be regarded to at such a high level as to completely detach itself from the requirements of reality?

Read the full article here -> http://www.vdmsr.com/2018/12/trainin...loads-and.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent article. Sums up a lot of what I haven’t been able to put into words. Thanks for the investment of your time etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So you carry a 24 round Glock mag in your back pocket, everywhere? That kinda sounds uncomfortable to me, especially when seated in a vehicle. I've been carrying a belt-mounded reload on my left side, opposite the pistol, for a long time. Perhaps I'm just used to it. It's most often a 17 round M&P mag or 17 round Glock mag. I like knowing exactly where the mag is and how it's positioned (as in bullet tips toward the center-line) and for me, it balances out the weight of the pistol just a bit. Unsecured heavy items also have a tendency to depart unexpectedly when engaged in activities like running, jumping, falling, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So you carry a 24 round Glock mag in your back pocket, everywhere? That kinda sounds uncomfortable to me, especially when seated in a vehicle. I've been carrying a belt-mounded reload on my left side, opposite the pistol, for a long time. Perhaps I'm just used to it. It's most often a 17 round M&P mag or 17 round Glock mag. I like knowing exactly where the mag is and how it's positioned (as in bullet tips toward the center-line) and for me, it balances out the weight of the pistol just a bit. Unsecured heavy items also have a tendency to depart unexpectedly when engaged in activities like running, jumping, falling, etc.
    The mag gets held in place by a flashlight which is clipped to the pocket. I don't wear skinny jeans so there is plenty of movement in the pants to allow for faster paced activities. I run like this in all classes, never had an issue with mags popping out. Also, its plenty comfortable to sit in a car/restaurant, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The mag gets held in place by a flashlight which is clipped to the pocket. I don't wear skinny jeans so there is plenty of movement in the pants to allow for faster paced activities. I run like this in all classes, never had an issue with mags popping out. Also, its plenty comfortable to sit in a car/restaurant, etc
    Rock on! When it comes down to it, do what works for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shared this article around and it rustled the jimmies of (solely) competition shooters. I’ve found that happens a lot when mentioning training for reality