Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    To me the only appeal of this round is shooting the heaviest pills. 77’s and down might as well stick to a .223 Wylde. To properly stabilize and not spin the heavier bullets apart you Need a 6.5” twist for that.
    The UltraMatch 2 will likely get a twist change in the future from what I hear.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed that the barrel is chump change compared to the joy of consistently reaming the bullseye. I need this to happen. Perhaps even an RPR if they bring it. Then I swear by Odin's balls I will take up reloading!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heading to the range tomorrow. Finally after four solid weekends of rain

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Heading to the range tomorrow. Finally after four solid weekends of rain
    Only four?

Still counting here.

I walk out in my yard and I sink over my feet in mud.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve been running the same handful of FC brass through it to see how many firings it would get.

Looks like an annealer is in my future. I fired them first as factory loads then got four reloadings before I saw the first case failures, all of which were split necks. Had to cull six of 20 pieces. I was running on the hotter side of things at one point

I want to try some 2000-MR powder as I’ve read good things but I’ve had good results with RE15. CFE223 is doing OK at the top end of the charge weight range

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’ve been running the same handful of FC brass through it to see how many firings it would get.

Looks like an annealer is in my future. I fired them first as factory loads then got four reloadings before I saw the first case failures, all of which were split necks. Had to cull six of 20 pieces. I was running on the hotter side of things at one point

I want to try some 2000-MR powder as I’ve read good things but I’ve had good results with RE15. CFE223 is doing OK at the top end of the charge weight range
    From what I've heard about FC brass, that sounds about right for an autoloader.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brand new to reloading and guess why I started. Yup, built a .224 Valkyrie. Been working with a very knowledgeable old gentleman teaching me the craft. Worked up a bunch of ladder loads to go test the next non inclement weather day off I get.
    I’m running a Ballistic Advantage 22” rifle length 1:7 twist barrel. I’ve shot the Federal 90gr SMK with disappointing results and the Federal 75gr just slightly better but still not where I expected it to be.
    Shot a few ladders that I loaded with some 69gr SMK’s and IMR 4895. On the advice of my reloading mentor I also took the groups out to 200 yards instead of 100. The groups are coming together but not perfection yet. I’m optimistic about this but I just need to discover the right load for my barrel.
    If nothing else it got me into reloading so it’s been a hell of a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  E7CD6E4B-EB00-4D22-9DAE-319C2B25890D.jpeg
Views: 688
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  84FE1738-74F8-4529-9F52-BB4A0B00D6E5.jpeg
Views: 685
Size:  1.16 MB

Found a good node here with 75gr ELD and Varget. Hodgdons manual says 25.5gr is compressed, so I’m fine being a little off of max

I should be able to get close to 26.0gr of RE15 in there but I’d like to try 2000-MR and Varget with 80gr ELDs next and save all my RE15 for .308 and 5.56.

I ordered 100 pieces of new Starline 224 brass I found on sale; I’d like another 1-200 pcs of it, and I’ll probably get into annealing. But this is when testing is “over” and I’m loading for quantity to keep on hand

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice start..have you tried a little shorter OAL in that ladder? I’d also look into some TAC.

Also, Looks like good old MRC.. I’m not a member but head up there sometimes on thursdays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Nice start..have you tried a little shorter OAL in that ladder? I’d also look into some TAC.

Also, Looks like good old MRC.. I’m not a member but head up there sometimes on thursdays.
    For those bullets, that sounds right. With 75-80gr ELD, I’m at 2.29”. I’ve seen people do seating depth tests for accuracy from 2.250” - 2.310”. I’ve had the best luck with longer bullets from 2.28”-2.29”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right on.

For me the only thing that interests me would be the heavy bullets, not much gain on 77’s and under to justify more money on brass, dies and such..

It’s always fun working up loads no mater what the caliber though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Found a good node for the 80gr ELD

I’m going to play with the seating depth (2.27-2.29”) but I’ve got a winner

Name:  4A581EE9-4BE9-44D8-AFDF-A1BB407B3AE2.jpeg
Views: 659
Size:  792.1 KB

The top group is about 7/8” across edge to edge

The bottom group is a hair over 1/2” edge to edge

The big white square is 1”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking groups.

Good ol’ Re15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love seeing a node come together

It can look like a shotgun blast and when you start reaching the outer band of it, the groups start shrinking and shrinking, then they start getting bigger as you pass it

It’s like finding wood with a stud finder; the beeps start getting more and more rapid, then steady tone when you hit the stud, and back down again as you pass it