Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool! I just picked up 500 of the 90 grain SMK’s and a pound of RE15. May need to start tinkering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    Cool! I just picked up 500 of the 90 grain SMK’s and a pound of RE15. May need to start tinkering.

The 90gr SMKs and 80gr ELDs are very close in length (90SMK: 1.170” 80ELD: 1.161”) so I personally would only reduce my test loads just a tad with the 90s. I ran up to 25.2gr RE15 with the 80s with no pressure issues, just unsatisfied with the groups.

It looks like the speed, cost, and performance I can get with the 80ELD makes it the best all around bullet for me.

I want to grab a box of 70gr Barnes TSX for hunting season!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Help a non-reloading guy out and tip off the manufacturers to your discovery. I want to build and do some shooting!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Help a non-reloading guy out and tip off the manufacturers to your discovery. I want to build and do some shooting!
    Stop talking like that and just grab a kit you weenie...

Best deal going right now Hornady Lock n load classic kit normally $320 plus shipping, on sale right now with code for $279 shipped , plus the rebate of 500 free Hornady bullets they are offering.

Plus sign up to active junky for a % of cash back for going thru their site to others to order goods. Easy. Sign up thru my referral link and after u make a $25 purchase you and me both get $10 back

Add that up and your at 260 shipped for the kit and 500 free bullets..Salad days...

Can’t say it enough, if you buy a decent amount online, it’s a no brainer... referral code-

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/1825879

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    It does suck that there’s only either heavies (88-90gr), two medium options (75gr BTHP Hornady Black or the terrible AE 75gr TMJ) and a couple 60gr Varmint options.

Hornady should at least offer their 75 or 80 ELD in place of the 75gr BTHP.

It seemed like the round started out with good support from Federal but they haven’t really tried to branch out at all it seems

There’s a huge benefit to the medium weight bullets. You can get them going substantially faster than in a comparable 223 Rem build...I’ve been invited to shoot for a day at a new 600yd range near me; once it dries up I’ll be taking a ton of ammo and a few rifles on a field trip

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just read that Federal was making a GMM using 80.5gr Bergers. A couple guys I know didn’t have great luck with those bullets, and once again, they’re a more expensive option

80gr ELD/100ct (projectile): $23
    80.5gr Berger /100ct: $35

I emailed Hornady and asked if they planned on offering some more 224V ammo using 75/80gr ELDs

Federal is coming out with a hunting round using the 78gr Barnes TSX. THAT is interesting

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    It seemed like the round started out with good support from Federal but they haven’t really tried to branch out at all it seems
    Federal just released 3 more loads for .224V, two of which are medium weight bullets. At the same time, they were working with Sierra to improve the accuracy/consistency of the 90gr SMK load. If I remember correctly, they are also working on a Valkyrie-specific medium weight (83gr?) bullet with Berger.

I'm pretty sure that they are still dedicated to the round. Product development takes time in the ammunition industry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    Federal just released 3 more loads for .224V, two of which are medium weight bullets. At the same time, they were working with Sierra to improve the accuracy/consistency of the 90gr SMK load. If I remember correctly, they are also working on a Valkyrie-specific medium weight (83gr?) bullet with Berger.

I'm pretty sure that they are still dedicated to the round. Product development takes time in the ammunition industry.
    I mentioned two of those in my last post. They’re releasing another 60gr Varmint round, a 78g Hunting round, and an 80.5gr Berger which I’ve read not a lot of hand loaders like AND it’s an expensive bullet. Why not the 80gr SMK to complement the 90gr SMK?

Hornady has no plans to develop any more than the 75gr BTHP or 88gr ELD ammo they already do (I contacted them this week):

Hornady Support commented at: 03-05-2019 02:43

Mr. ——————,

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately we do not have plans to add anymore to the Valkyrie line. I will be happy to suggest this in our upcoming meetings.

Thank you,

(No name provided)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mentioned two of those in my last post. They’re releasing another 60gr Varmint round, a 78g Hunting round, and an 80.5gr Berger which I’ve read not a lot of hand loaders like AND it’s an expensive bullet. Why not the 80gr SMK to complement the 90gr SMK?

Hornady has no plans to develop any more than the 75gr BTHP or 88gr ELD ammo they already do (I contacted them this week):

Hornady Support commented at: 03-05-2019 02:43

Mr. ——————,

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately we do not have plans to add anymore to the Valkyrie line. I will be happy to suggest this in our upcoming meetings.

Thank you,

(No name provided)
    My response was related to the statement about Federal's lack of support for the caliber in terms of branching out. There have been 7 loads released in basically 2 years, from light weight to mid-weight plus heavy weights. And as far as I have heard, there is still a Valkyrie-specific 83gr Berger bullet in the works. I was just trying to make the point that seems like they are interested in expanding the caliber.

With respect to the Berger load, Federal has a GM Berger line and wanted to add a load for Valkyrie to that line. Since the 83gr wasn't ready in time, they decided to go with the 80.5gr bullet. My preference would have been the 82gr as I have had good hand loading that one. While some handloaders may not have had great luck with the 80.5, Federal must have found a sweet spot as their internal requirements for accuracy in the Gold Medal line are quite strict.

As to why not the 80gr SMK, my guess is that it doesn't fill a space that their marketing group has identified as a needat this point. The 80.5 also has a slightly higher BC. Same for Hornady, I would guess that the offerings that they currently have meets the needs identified by their marketing group.

Ideally, I would like to see an 80gr Tipped Matchking be developed for Valkyrie. BC would be outstanding (probably near the 90gr SMK) but it wouldn't intrude into the power volume so much that you couldn't push velocity pretty hard.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Their marketing groups seem to differ from the vast majority of 224 Valkyrie shooters I talk to online and at the range

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone tried the Sierra 95 gr hp’s?

Seems like it’s a good fit with the Valkyrie , but mag length or lack of might be a problem I imagine

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I'm about to get out (thinking Monday March 11, 2019) to run these .224 Valkyrie test groups experimenting with several various powders for best performance with the 69gr projectiles but also to observe the impact of bullet seating depth experimentation. Once I shoot this batch, I will be moving into 90 grain projectile testing. I have my Harrell Arbor Press and my Wilson Seating die to pack out to the range with me. Each row of test groups listed in the chart below consists of 5 rounds. I created at least two groups of five rounds for each recipe listed (four groups of five rounds for the IMR 4064 @ 24.5gr because it has shown promising results in previous tests).

All of the groups of five charted in each row in the table below have the bullets seated to give every cartridge a C.O.L. of 2.241. That is close to the very maximum C.O.L. I can get and still have the cartridge load and feed reliably from the PRI 20 round mags I'm using in my Aero Precision M4E1 224 Valkyrie rifle with 22" 1:7 Ballistic Advantage barrel.

I will shoot a control group of five rounds from each recipe with the bullet seated at the C.O.L. of 2.241 then use the arbor press and seating die to decrease the C.O.L. of the next five rounds from the same recipe. I'm hoping to get a better idea for myself, the degree of impact created by changing the seating depth or C.O.L. of a cartridge and the influence that it plays on the accuracy of the round.

All control groups will be shot at a 2.241 C.O.L. but I'm open to suggestion on how much I should decrease the C.O.L. for subsequent groups shot from the same recipe. Particularly with the recipe of IMR 4064 @ 24.5gr where I will have the opportunity to shoot four different groups of five. I can try four different bullet seating depths with that recipe.

Name:  chart.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  398.4 KB
    Last edited by old11bravo; 9 March 2019 at 05:19.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you say “close to max length”, what are you going off of? 2.260”?

I’m running my heavier bullets at 2.28-2.290”...max length is really determined by the mag here, with 2.30-2.31” (depending on a regular ASC/Stoner mag vs PRI)

I shot some 69gr TMKs with CFE223 but didn’t spend a lot of time with them because I wanted to focus on heavier bullets. But I would like a good 60-69gr Varmint load. I’ll be honest I haven’t seen anyone using 4064...I don’t think it’s able to get the velocity that some other powders can (RE15, CFE223, 2000MR etc), but if it works, it works I guess

Mustang, to answer your question about the 95s, I haven’t gone that high yet. I’d like to try some 90gr SMKs but haven’t found any in stock locally yet, and I figure I’m doing so much other testing, when I do manage to find them, it’ll probably be the right timing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When you say “close to max length”, what are you going off of? 2.260”?

I’m running my heavier bullets at 2.28-2.290”...max length is really determined by the mag here, with 2.30-2.31” (depending on a regular ASC/Stoner mag vs PRI)
    Yes I’m going off of what length my PRI mags will allow when I referenced “max length” for the C.O.L. at 2.260

I couldn’t find the 90gr pills in stock anywhere either. I lucked across a gentleman selling a lot of 500 of them on another forum I frequent. Got an excellent deal on them too.

Shoot me a pm with your address if you’d like me to send you a box of them to try out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can send you something back, like 77gr tipped match kings if you want in exchange

Also, I think 6.8 SPC ASC/AR Stoner/PRI mags allow for a 2.30” OAL...you can probably stretch those out

Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    Yes I’m going off of what length my PRI mags will allow when I referenced “max length” for the C.O.L. at 2.260

I couldn’t find the 90gr pills in stock anywhere either. I lucked across a gentleman selling a lot of 500 of them on another forum I frequent. Got an excellent deal on them too.

Shoot me a pm with your address if you’d like me to send you a box of them to try out.