Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll take a closer look at the clearance in my PRI mags with the 2.260 COL cartridges. Maybe I'm short changing myself. My 6.8 SPC PRI mags are 20 round capacity. I really like them. I do have a couple 10 round ASC mags for 6.8 SPC but I haven't ever used them. Maybe I should take a closer look at those too.

I have an unopened box of the Sierra 90gr .224 Matchking projectiles sitting on my desk ready to go wheels up. Consider it a small token of my appreciation for the enjoyment and knowledge I'm getting out of this thread. We are on the same quest with this .224 Valkyrie round and I appreciate you letting me participate in the conversation. After many years of enjoyment and content with shooting and questing for improved marksmanship, this round is what finally nudged me over the precipice sending me tumbling into the realm of reloading. Being new reloading, I've lots to learn from guys like you. So again, thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    PM Sent, old11bravo. I wasn’t ignoring you, I just didn’t see the post! I’m sorry

Here’s another update: round count of 416 and the extractor spring failed. BCG was a new 224 Valkyrie-labeled Ballistic Advantage product that had fired all of those rounds with no issue. The spent case would pull out of the chamber but the brass remained stuck under the extractor claw. The ejector plunger was clean and had plenty of tension but was not jammed. I got a spare spring out of my range repair kit and swapped it in...worked just fine after that. Looks like I need to buy a 10 pack of these things....

Got my 300yd dope. 80gr ELD: 4.25 MOA up adjustment and 75gr ELD 4 MOA

Downloads
    Uploads
    After contacting Ballistic Advantage regarding the short lifespan of the extractor spring in their bolt, I inquired about the bolt itself. The initial 224 Valkyrie BCG they sold had a Nitrided carrier and a phosphate bolt, but now the entire thing is black nitride. I mentioned that the phosphate bolt I received was very rough, and while functional, I’d never see one that looked like this one before. I sent them a picture of it, and very quickly they said they were mailing a replacement with no further explanation needed. +1 for Ballistic Advantage’s customer service!

Name:  4F248BE0-846D-4A46-87D6-6CB06C124D41.jpeg
Views: 295
Size:  605.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yuck...that up is a rough looking bolt....

Good deal on the no hesitation of BA to fix your problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    Snip snip snip
    Thank you again!!! Very much appreciated :)

90SMK vs 80ELD
    Name:  07F9A227-E3F1-4B05-A28E-EC6345A78491.jpeg
Views: 315
Size:  591.1 KB

I’ve been reading a lot about H4895 and 224 Valkyrie so I just picked up a pound to try with these also

Downloads
    Uploads
    So basically, support for this round is dying and the only decent results are still being researched, but largely only available if you roll your own. Do I have that right?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    So basically, support for this round is dying and the only decent results are still being researched, but largely only available if you roll your own. Do I have that right?
    New ammo is being developed, it’s just slow. New bullet options are coming out also and manufacturers are offering new brass for loading.

There were some hiccups when it first released, like Federal’s 90gr being really inconsistent and the results turned some people away

I’m in a Valkyrie owners group on FB and it is growing and growing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear. i was seeing the quality go back and forth on the SMK and read it as loss of interest.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    If you’d just dig in and start reloading already....lol..

You could be making quality ammo at a fraction of the price.

Graf and sons has the Hornady classic single stage kit in sale and free shipping on Friday’s along with a free Hornady/buck knife.. $260 shipped then 500 bullets back....I’d sure like to grab one and get back into reloading myself .

That’s super cheap for a quality-get ya going kit- then buy a set of Hornady dies for another 100 free bullets!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far all of my experimentation with the 224 Valkyrie has been with the Sierra 69gr SMK's and a few 69gr Hornady Match combined with a plethora of various powders. I found a few combo's I can fall back on if I want to start loading for stock in that bullet weight.

I now have a sufficient supply (for the time being) of the Sierra 90gr SMK's to begin trying out some different powders in various weights and see if I can find a combination suitable for producing a supply in that weight as well.

I've noted a lot of naysaying recently in regards to the 224 Valkyrie but I remain convinced that there is something to this round that is yet to be discovered. Tons of potential to be realized and much too early to count this round out. I'm optimistic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    So far all of my experimentation with the 224 Valkyrie has been with the Sierra 69gr SMK's and a few 69gr Hornady Match combined with a plethora of various powders. I found a few combo's I can fall back on if I want to start loading for stock in that bullet weight.

I now have a sufficient supply (for the time being) of the Sierra 90gr SMK's to begin trying out some different powders in various weights and see if I can find a combination suitable for producing a supply in that weight as well.

I've noted a lot of naysaying recently in regards to the 224 Valkyrie but I remain convinced that there is something to this round that is yet to be discovered. Tons of potential to be realized and much too early to count this round out. I'm optimistic.
    Since I primarily shoot 75/77gr in a 16” 223, my 224V 77gr TMK load is going about 300fps faster than my 223 load with the same bullet. That’s a huge jump in potential

Using a 70gr Barnes copper bullet, it’s an extremely viable hunting round as well

The Valkyrie is a great caliber, it’s just not as plug and play as 5.56/223....it’s sort of picky

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don’t see the “value” in these unless your pushing heavies, 90gr and up....anyone make 100’ish grain bullets yet?

...But I get the working up loads etc.....carry on...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I just don’t see the “value” in these unless your pushing heavies, 90gr and up....anyone make 100’ish grain bullets yet?

...But I get the working up loads etc.....carry on...
    The value is a gas gun equivalent of a 223AI

Pushing 77gr bullets 300fps faster than a 223 Rem and it can shoot bullets you can’t magazine load in it.

With a 20” barrel, My 80gr ELD load is averaging 2760fps and 90gr SMK should be pushing about 2630fps. Granted, the 90SMK numbers are from Quickload but it almost identically matches my actual loads in other bullets/powders. Add 25-30fps for every inch you gain on the barrel to see if a 22” or 24” would yield better numbers.

95gr SMKs are the heaviest I’ve seen and I’m not sure what kind of performance those offer

I prefer the 80ELD to the 88ELD because the difference in down range performance is outweighed by the extra speed I can put behind the 80s, plus they’re cheaper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I hear ya...lol

I enjoy all of that stuff...anc there’s so many wildcats etc now a days..

The 6mm mongoose looks very interesting...but that’s another thread..as it to is like a 223 AI -sorta , pushing some good numbers
    18 inch barrel
    80 grain federal pulls 2900-2990
    68 match burner 3100-3200
    20 inch barrel
    87 vmax 2750-2880
    90 fmj 2750-2800
    105 amax 2500-2600

Downloads
    Uploads
    224 Grendel is gaining a little traction, better numbers than 224 Valkyrie, but no factory ammo and only a couple barrel manufacturers I’m aware of. Uses 6.5 Grendel brass, bolt, and mags.

80gr ELDs and CFE223 is pushing about 3050fps from 22” barrel

Again these are gas guns and I’m specifically interested in .22 cal. If I was sticking with a bolt gun, I’d just run a .22-250. If I was upping the caliber, I’d need to upgrade my larger bore suppressor (current 7.62 can is too heavy for this). I’d probably just build a 6x47 or 6CM