Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool I am a swiss student and I have some question.

Hello everyone
    First forgive my faults in English, it's not my native language. I'm preparing a work to get my degree in Switzerland, the theme of my work is the relationship between guns and americans.
    I would have liked to interview you directly but thousands of kilometers separate us so I prefer to do it directly on forums, you will surely find this post on another forum of firearms, in order to collect a maximum of testimony.
    Please be the most honest in your answer, my goal is not to judge but to understand, if you want your comment to remain private for different reason, sent it to me at the email address: fabien.tpc@outlook.com

1) Why did you buy a weapon ?

2) Where did you get the passion for weapons ?

3) how would you describe the relationship between guns and americans.

4) Should everyone have the right to buy a weapon in your opinion?

5) Is there a link between the number of weapons in circulation and mass killings, murder ... ?

6) Should we toughen the law on weapons in the USA ?

Thank you in advance for your answers,see you soon,I hope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm game. I will respond later on today.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am a swiss student and I have some question.

Why do you say “we” in the last question? The Swiss aren’t included in the Bill of Rights nor in changing them.

Smells fishy for a first post.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Via PM, I have asked an Admin to investigate.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt here. Please guys don't jump to fast and let things work themselves out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gruezi! Where do you live in Switzerland?

I wish we had the same access to *true* military grade weapons that the Swiss do. I took these pictures in Interlaken:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by swiss student View Post
    Hello everyone
    First forgive my faults in English, it's not my native language. I'm preparing a work to get my degree in Switzerland, the theme of my work is the relationship between guns and americans.
    I would have liked to interview you directly but thousands of kilometers separate us so I prefer to do it directly on forums, you will surely find this post on another forum of firearms, in order to collect a maximum of testimony.
    Please be the most honest in your answer, my goal is not to judge but to understand, if you want your comment to remain private for different reason, sent it to me at the email address: fabien.tpc@outlook.com

5) Is there a link between the number of weapons in circulation and mass killings, murder ... ?

For starters, you need to throw away everything you have heard on the “news” about American’s, firearms and mass shootings in the garbage can, Because you have been lied to, indoctrinated and fed lies about what is really going on in our country concerning the truth about firearm ownership, our Constitution, our way of life and mass shootings.

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”
    The rights and duty’s to protect ourselves, families, neighbors falls on each and every citizen. It’s not the job of police officers to protect society in general. They cannot be everywhere at all times. It’s not the government’s job to protect our citizens, it’s our job to protect EACHOTHER and have the ability to protect ourselves with whatever means possible to stop someone from harming us.

Our forefathers knew this and this is why we have the 2nd amendment:
    “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
    In a constitutional republic, people take care of each other. In a democratic society they put their responsibility to take care of each other on law enforcement and the government. Frankly I see this as parasitic and irresponsible which ends up leading to a victim mentality which is pretty much what we are seeing in society these days.

1) Why did you buy a weapon?
    Because it is MY duty to protect myself, my family and my neighbors who may need assistance in a bad situation.

It’s not about emotions (passion) is an emotion. A firearm is a tool, it goes in the tool box. When and if I need it I reach into the toolbox and grab which tool I need. No different than a hammer or screwdriver. A firearm is an inanimate object that is all it is.

3) How would you describe the relationship between guns and American’s?
    Again, it’s just a tool. The mainstream media has an agenda to promote people as gun fanatics with a Wild West mentality. People enjoy shooting firearms, building firearms, hunting and working with them. It’s part of our culture.

No. There has to be exclusions so that we can: “establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves.”
    The exclusions are: Convicted felons, age limit and those who are seriously mentally unstable.

5) Is there a link between the number of weapons in circulation and mass killings, murder... ?
    NO. Again, it is just an inanimate object, it is a tool. Is there a link between how many hammers are in circulation and the amount of people that are killed with hammers? Which I believe was a greater number of deaths by a hammer and hands and feet than it was by rifles (the same rifles that some want to ban)
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-4.xls
    The real reason behind the mass shootings/suicides is the correlation of the mass shooters who are on prescription drugs/psychotropic drugs.

Here is a sample:
    • Eric Harris age 17 (first on Zoloft then Luvox) and Dylan Klebold aged 18 (Columbine school shooting in Littleton, Colorado), killed 12 students and 1 teacher, and wounded 23 others, before killing themselves. Klebold's medical records have never been made available to the public.

• Jeff Weise, age 16, had been prescribed 60 mg/day of Prozac (three times the average starting dose for adults!) when he shot his grandfather, his grandfather's girlfriend and many fellow students at Red Lake, Minnesota. He then shot himself. 10 dead, 12 wounded.

• Cory Baadsgaard, age 16, Wahluke (Washington state) High School, was on Paxil (which caused him to have hallucinations) when he took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates hostage. He has no memory of the event.

• Chris Fetters, age 13, killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.

• Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.

• Mathew Miller, age 13, hung himself in his bedroom closet after taking Zoloft for 6 days.

• Kip Kinkel, age 15, (on Prozac and Ritalin) shot his parents while they slept then went to school and opened fire killing 2 classmates and injuring 22 shortly after beginning Prozac treatment.

• Luke Woodham, age 16 (Prozac) killed his mother and then killed two students, wounding six others.

• A boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) in 1998 had a Zoloft-induced seizure that caused an armed stand off at his school.

• Michael Carneal (Ritalin), age 14, opened fire on students at a high school prayer meeting in West Paducah, Kentucky. Three teenagers were killed, five others were wounded..

• A young man in Huntsville, Alabama (Ritalin) went psychotic chopping up his parents with an ax and also killing one sibling and almost murdering another.

• Andrew Golden, age 11, (Ritalin) and Mitchell Johnson, aged 14, (Ritalin) shot 15 people, killing four students, one teacher, and wounding 10 others.

• TJ Solomon, age 15, (Ritalin) high school student in Conyers, Georgia opened fire on and wounded six of his class mates.

• Rod Mathews, age 14, (Ritalin) beat a classmate to death with a bat.

• James Wilson, age 19, (various psychiatric drugs) from Breenwood, South Carolina, took a .22 caliber revolver into an elementary school killing two young girls, and wounding seven other children and two teachers.

• Elizabeth Bush, age 13, (Paxil) was responsible for a school shooting in Pennsylvania

• Jason Hoffman (Effexor and Celexa) – school shooting in El Cajon, California

• Jarred Viktor, age 15, (Paxil), after five days on Paxil he stabbed his grandmother 61 times.

• Chris Shanahan, age 15 (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman.

• Jeff Franklin (Prozac and Ritalin), Huntsville, AL, killed his parents as they came home from work using a sledge hammer, hatchet, butcher knife and mechanic's file, then attacked his younger brothers and sister.

• Neal Furrow (Prozac) in LA Jewish school shooting reported to have been court-ordered to be on Prozac along with several other medications.

• Kevin Rider, age 14, was withdrawing from Prozac when he died from a gunshot wound to his head. Initially it was ruled a suicide, but two years later, the investigation into his death was opened as a possible homicide. The prime suspect, also age 14, had been taking Zoloft and other SSRI antidepressants.

• Alex Kim, age 13, hung himself shortly after his Lexapro prescription had been doubled.

• Diane Routhier was prescribed Welbutrin for gallstone problems. Six days later, after suffering many adverse effects of the drug, she shot herself.

• Billy Willkomm, an accomplished wrestler and a University of Florida student, was prescribed Prozac at the age of 17. His family found him dead of suicide – hanging from a tall ladder at the family's Gulf Shore Boulevard home in July 2002.

• Kara Jaye Anne Fuller-Otter, age 12, was on Paxil when she hung herself from a hook in her closet. Kara's parents said ".... the damn doctor wouldn't take her off it and I asked him to when we went in on the second visit. I told him I thought she was having some sort of reaction to Paxil...")

• Gareth Christian, Vancouver, age 18, was on Paxil when he committed suicide in 2002, (Gareth's father could not accept his son's death and killed himself.)

• Julie Woodward, age 17, was on Zoloft when she hung herself in her family's detached garage.

• Matthew Miller was 13 when he saw a psychiatrist because he was having difficulty at school. The psychiatrist gave him samples of Zoloft. Seven days later his mother found him dead, hanging by a belt from a laundry hook in his closet.

• Kurt Danysh, age 18, and on Prozac, killed his father with a shotgun. He is now behind prison bars, and writes letters, trying to warn the world that SSRI drugs can kill.

• Woody __, age 37, committed suicide while in his 5th week of taking Zoloft. Shortly before his death his physician suggested doubling the dose of the drug. He had seen his physician only for insomnia. He had never been depressed, nor did he have any history of any mental illness symptoms.

• A boy from Houston, age 10, shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased.

• Hammad Memon, age 15, shot and killed a fellow middle school student. He had been diagnosed with ADHD and depression and was taking Zoloft and "other drugs for the conditions."

• Matti Saari, a 22-year-old culinary student, shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine.

• Steven Kazmierczak, age 27, shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amounts of Xanax in his system.

• Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen, age 18, had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School – then he committed suicide.

• Asa Coon from Cleveland, age 14, shot and wounded four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon was on Trazodone.

• Jon Romano, age 16, on medication for depression, fired a shotgun at a teacher in his New York high school.

Firearms DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. After reading that list the method they chose becomes irrelevant.

No. There are hundreds of firearm laws on the books already. Criminals DO NOT OBEY THE LAW. Laws do not stop crime. Laws only come into effect when a criminal is apprehended. Think about that.

Murder is a morality problem, a sin problem. YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE MORALITY.
    Last edited by Stone; 6 January 2019 at 09:46.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This one is a real eye opener:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bravo Stone. Well stated.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Via PM, I have asked an Admin to investigate.
    His IP checks out to France, just barely over the Swiss border.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First of all thank you for your answer.
    I study in Geneva but I live in France, just on the border with Switzerland, indeed the rents are too expensive in Geneva for a student, but my parents lives in Geneva. When my studies are finished I'll be living in Geneva. I have Swiss nationality so I will have to do the army just after my studies because the army in Switzerland is mandatory for all men, when you finish the army in switzerland you have the right to redeem the assault rifle that you used during your class, like my uncle who has his assault rifle at his house. Switzerland is one of the most heavily armed countries in the world in proportion to its population, despite this Swiss arsenal, killings like the one in Las Vegas are extremely rare, so I would like to understand why there are so many deaths because of weapons in the united states compared to swiss even if the weapon culture in Switzerland, whose vectors are history, tradition, shooting companies and the militia army, is fundamentally different from that of the United States.
    Thank you Stone for your answer, I will take the time to analyze all your arguments even if it takes a lot of time because of the language.
    One last thing in switzerland we speak, according to the regions: french, german, italian. Most Swiss speak German but in Geneva we speak French so if someone speaks French it does not matter to me he can answer me in French.
    Still sorry for my faults in English I do not yet fully master the language.

where I live : https://www.google.fr/search?q=reign..._9tFtdEsURR6M:
    my uncle's assault rifle : https://www.google.fr/search?q=fass+...7h0VrrVpNQk7M:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by swiss student View Post
    Hello everyone

1) It's not like it was a matter to buy "a" weapon. It was never looked on for me as a weapon so much. I live and grew up in the country (very rural) so guns were and still are a part of daily life. If you want to build a fence you have your screwdriver, post hole diggers, pliers, hammer, and firearm for when you run into wild animals or snakes. Guns and shovels were sort of in the same sort of category, although having nice guns is very cool. It's like having the craftsmaship of a ferrari where people who admire cars can admire other mechanical things too, like guns.

I don't and never have bought 'a weapon'. I grew up on guns. It's no different for me than for someone who is teaching their kid to cook. When you get to be old enough 'go get that knife and let me show you how this is done'. A knife is a weapon too, but it's also used for stabbing and cooking both. Guns are a reality and I was taught very very young about how to respect and handle a gun. It's like learning how to look both ways before you cross the street, or how to safely use a knife in the kitchen.

From that basis I got into the hunting and sporting side of things even more because there is a substantial amount of skill involved there. I don't ever recall even one time when I didn't have at least 20 or 30 different guns in my home.

Asking me when I decided to buy guns is sort of like me asking you when you first decided to start eating fondue. There simply wasn't a lot of thought given to it other than what make, model, caliber, etc.

2) There are many different disciplines of shooting. I mainly shot clay targets with a shotgun out in my back yard. The hand eye coordination and just fun of it really got me hooked like any other sport. I remember as a kid being maybe 14 years old or younger and friends and I would go out and shoot guns in my back yard. It was just a normal fun thing to do. Later on I got into many different other disciplines of shooting such as long range rifle shooting. So far I have been able to reliably hit targets at 1,400 meters and I can go farther than that. That aspect to me is like shooting model rockets. You need to know how fast your bullet is going, how aerodynamic it is, on to how hard the wind is blowing and the temperature outside to be able to reliably predict where that bullet will land. It's very scientific but at the same time very nice and calming when you are out in nature and you have to forget the world and all the problems there and just concentrate on your skill.

Every aspect of shooting has something cool and fun and unique about it. Pistols, rifles, shotguns, it doesn't matter. I am very passionate about all of it.

3) I just did. Most Americans live in very rural areas, although the divide between really urban and really rural is very much becoming a much bigger deal. I have seen people from New York for example who have never left the city and never even seen a cow. For them coming to Texas in the country where I live was like visiting a new world. It was funny to see them scared because they thought a small goat would eat them alive, but this urban and rural divide often creates a lot of misunderstanding about guns.

I think the majority of Americans are fine with guns, but also there are a lot of political people in positions of power who feel like European type of socialism is a superior way of life and they want to impose that on Americans. Those people are the same people who are typically very anti gun and they have a political following that creates a lot of anti gun propaganda. Instead of telling the whole story---they try to create a narrative that ALL GUNS in EVERY SITUATION are a social problem that must be 'dealt with'.

4) Yes. Everyone should have the right to buy and own a firearm. I would offer only a very small amount of people who are say found criminally insane or something like that, or if they are known associates of gangs, or known for social violence---basically crazy people and hardened criminals---probably not them. Everybody else, yes.

5) This is a huge absolutely big fat NO WAY. Not at all. But this is the ammunition people try to use to attack guns in America, but the facts do not play this out. I have traveled around the world... I have lived long term in seven countries and have been to at least 50 other countries but for sure more than that. I say that because America does have social problems. This is not to be ignored. There is relentless pressure to 'be somebody' have a nice car, get wife, kids, live in a good area, but the more you work the more you seem to fail and get behind. There is also a lot of divorce and bad family situations and a lot of other social problems that cause people to have substantially more problems with socialization than I have seen in other countries.

Those anti gun people on the left want to say 'XXX number of people were shot and killed in America' and they cite some big number that is meant to scare the world. Truth is about 65% or more of all people in America that die by gun is because of suicide. A cousin of mine shot herself a few years ago. Another guy in my town was unable to work because of health problems, was having family problems, his wife left him, he was also diagnosed with a terminal illness too...so he shot himself.

A lot of financial and social problems cause people to do that. Remember, any time you hear that top line number on TV or the internet, more than 65% of those are all people who wanted to end their own life.

Of the 35% remaining most of those shootings can be traced to specific neighborhoods in cities year after year after year. Mostly it's places with poverty and especially gang and drug related violence. Those people really are shooting each other but the problem isn't guns, it's drugs and criminal cartels and just flat out criminal behavior. If you took away all their guns they would still kill each other. Go to any slum in South Africa and ask them what the murder rate is and they are not using guns as much.

If you take out the suicides and then the criminal elements, of the sum total top line 'so many people got shot in America' only somewhere between 5-10% are actually regular people shooting people out of violence.

If you listen to those other people spin the story their way America is worse than Syria or Iraq. It's just not true. In the vast majority of America guns are very prevalent and in many cases literally in every home but the murder rate at all is not there.

This again boils down to what to do about the problems. America is not without problems. The left says ban all guns and this will solve the problem. The rest of us look at it and go wait a minute. 65% of those people are socially down so much that they want to die. Wouldn't it be better to have better social services for military veterans other people who have trauma in their lives? If you just take away the tool, they will just find a new tool. They will drink a bottle of pills with whiskey if they have to. Those other people don't want to address the real problem.

When it comes to poverty areas and criminal gangs this is where I think law enforcement on a local and federal level can be much more aggressive about eliminating those problems. At the same time those people who are in poverty and in the ghettos need to have a way up. It's not really a gun issue. A good balance between basic moral values, policing, and creating opportunity in life in general is a good plan I think. But just banning a gun or whatever will not help. The real problem is more socially complex.

As for mass shootings, this is a relatively new phenomenon that needs to be addressed. Why do people resort to terrorism? They don't want to call it terrorism but in their heart, they want to terrorize people. Again it's a social issue.

All that said more than 90% or 95% of all gun owners in America are safe, responsible, reliable, law abiding people. The left wants to attack people like me because some gang member drug dealer shoots a rival gang member. It's not right and we won't let them do that to us.

6) Not really. There should be systems in place for public safety, but those systems do not need to be any kind of overly complex costly system, or something that relies on banning weapons or ammunition or anything like that. Whether it be simple gun safety classes or whatever, yes there should be some form of standard but not like what many people propose, which always includes banning guns because they look scary or whatever.

I am not for tougher laws at all. I am for smarter laws. In Houston there are almost 2,000 places where you can legally purchase a firearm--in a single city and that doesn't even include the surrounding metropolitan areas. You can buy a gun and walk out the same day with it even. It's not a gun problem.

I think the government should focus a lot more effort on combating criminal gangs (even drug cartels), and maybe even expanding out and working with local communities for better social services to those people who are at risk of suicide. That would be a much better and effective use of time and money than worrying about how many guns are in my collection.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should also mention that life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to self protection---including the very specific spelled out right to own firearms is spelled out explicitly in our Constitution.

I have the Constitutionally guaranteed right to own firearms. Period. But many on the left want to say that's 'old' or 'outdated' or want to just ignore it.

Where I live if I called the emergency service number it will be around 20 minutes or more before anyone would show up at my house. If someone is breaking in or doing a violent crime, we have the right to self defense. If that means shooting a burglar in my home, so be it. I don't want to shoot anybody, but if I need to or am forced to do it...

A few miles from my house (this was about 10 years ago now) an older couple came back home after being away. They drove into their driveway only to see violent burglars in their house. Those bad people came out and killed both the husband and the wife who were both in their 80's.

We have a right to fight back on a number of levels including using guns if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Why do you say “we” in the last question? The Swiss aren’t included in the Bill of Rights nor in changing them.

Smells fishy for a first post.
    Yeah, I almost bit my tongue when I read that. I wanted to post what the "WE" shit meant. Did he/she have a mouse in his pocket or something?
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper