Downloads
    Uploads

Thoughts on Leupold’s MK2 IMS one piece scope mount?

I’m looking at this mount as a non QD option to put a Leupold VX2 2-7x33mm I bought for a steal of a closeout price on a hunting AR. Just curious if anyone has experience with this mount. I read reviews for over a week and hardly can find anything negative about it. It’s regularly $100, found it on Brownells for $69.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    I’m looking at this mount as a non QD option to put a Leupold VX2 2-7x33mm I bought for a steal of a closeout price on a hunting AR. Just curious if anyone has experience with this mount. I read reviews for over a week and hardly can find anything negative about it. It’s regularly $100, found it on Brownells for $69.
    I had the two piece equivalent with a Leupold Mark AR. It was OK, but I prefer the Aero Precision lightweight mounts which will give you more cantilever (get the SPR mount for an AR15) and also have a better locking lug design, IMO. The Aero mounts are a bit of a pain to install as the funky design makes the scope want to rotate a degree or two as you torque the screws, but once it's mounted properly it served me well.

Just a few bucks more: https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.c...APRA210700.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW I have one of the Aero mounts laying around if you are interested in buying it. I think it's 30mm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I had the two piece equivalent with a Leupold Mark AR. It was OK, but I prefer the Aero Precision lightweight mounts which will give you more cantilever (get the SPR mount for an AR15) and also have a better locking lug design, IMO. The Aero mounts are a bit of a pain to install as the funky design makes the scope want to rotate a degree or two as you torque the screws, but once it's mounted properly it served me well.

Just a few bucks more: https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.c...APRA210700.htm

Thanks for the input, the Aero SPR mount was the other one I was torn between. I had seen that in the reviews about the rings shifting the reticle off level while mounting it and I remember dealing with that happening with old style Weaver rings and getting frustrated figuring them out. The sale price got the best of me after looking at reviews since I bought the scope a week ago so I ordered the Leupold one piece mount. Worst case if I don’t like it I can sell it and get the Aero.

That’s a really cool looking AR btw, I’ve never seen one with a silver themed setup!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    BTW I have one of the Aero mounts laying around if you are interested in buying it. I think it's 30mm.
    Thanks man, I still haven’t braved the jump to 30mm tubes still in the kiddie pool using 1” LoL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The rings shifting the scope is the main reason I won't do Aero Mounts.

Budget the primary concern for this?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Once they are mounted they work great but the design hinders getting from point A to B without maybe some special scope leveler or something like that or a bit of hassle in the initial mounting phase. I used mine for a long time with stellar results but I replaced it with a good set of rings to accommodate a different type of shooting for my particular rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Pretty much the larger concern along with I’m not in need of anything QD. It’s just going on a 308 hunting AR that might see shots out to 300m. I just wanted something better and US made than the Burris PEPR I have on the my coyote rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You couldn’t give me a hinged mount. Poor design that should never be used. 1” tube will limit you in choices. I’d almost recommend a 30mm mount and spacers if you ever think you will upgrade your optic.

Best going IMO for a budget mount. You can choose a 2” or 3” offset

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-2-inch-offset

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    You couldn’t give me a hinged mount. Poor design that should never be used. 1” tube will limit you in choices. I’d almost recommend a 30mm mount and spacers if you ever think you will upgrade your optic.

Best going IMO for a budget mount. You can choose a 2” or 3” offset

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-2-inch-offset

Which one is a hinged mount, the Aero I’m guessing?

At this stage I’m pretty sure the optic won’t be upgraded for a long time. If/when I do it and the mount will probably just migrate to another AR I’d use for even shorter range hunting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pretty much the larger concern along with I’m not in need of anything QD. It’s just going on a 308 hunting AR that might see shots out to 300m. I just wanted something better and US made than the Burris PEPR I have on the my coyote rifle.
    Here, found the thread I started on the Aero Mount: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...t-Scope-Mounts

Aero's are made in the US. I wouldn't put a heavy scope in one, but I think they work great for light weight scopes in hunting rigs.

Those Vortex mounts look like a decent option, too, if you can find a good sale, but they do weigh twice as much. The nice thing about the once piece mounts is even if they aren't "QD" they are quick and easy to move.

I don't like anything that only has one screw per side, though, so never cared from those IMS mounts. Warne are decent, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which one is a hinged mount, the Aero I’m guessing?

At this stage I’m pretty sure the optic won’t be upgraded for a long time. If/when I do it and the mount will probably just migrate to another AR I’d use for even shorter range hunting.
    Yes, the Aero uses a keyway style engagement for one side of the rings. Poor design that skews the torque numbers when installing, often damaging the optic or loosening under use.

IMO The Vortex mount is slightly superior to the Leupold due to the 4 screws per ring vs 2 and the much cleaner and likely more secure 4 flush cross bolt rail interface vs. the 2 1/2” nuts and studs on the Leupold.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Yes, the Aero uses a keyway style engagement for one side of the rings. Poor design that skews the torque numbers when installing, often damaging the optic or loosening under use.

IMO The Vortex mount is slightly superior to the Leupold due to the 4 screws per ring vs 2 and the much cleaner and likely more secure 4 flush cross bolt rail interface vs. the 2 1/2” nuts and studs on the Leupold.
    Yeah that ring system was definitely the no go for me with the Aero, it's just too foreign a design for me. And that’s from someone who’s a fan of all their AR parts.

Ok I can’t definitely see the peace of mind in that thought process with the Vortex rings. Before messing with the Burris PEPR mount my only scope mounting experience was using the classic Leupold/Redfield bases and rings with dovetail front ring and windage screw rear rings and never had a scope shift on a magnum bolt actions or a Remington model 4 in 30-06 so I banking on those experiences in thinking 2 screws/ring would be enough. In my mind the 6 screw/ring of the Burris PEPR seemed excessive, but despite the hate it gets it’s held zero well the last 4 years or so and has returned to within a 1/32” of zero anytime I’ve removed it by the base and retorqued it with my Fatwrench. I’ve grown to accept the 1/2” hex-nuts, but I’m sure it wouldn’t take long for me to prefer the base of the Vortex mount with me shooting left handed and not having to worry about base screws catching my clothes while hunting.

Thanks again for the input, I’ll definitely look more into getting the Vortex if I’m not happy with the Leupold once I try it for a while. I’m pretty much missing all but maybe the last weekend of deer season this year due to a medical issue having a stress fracture in my left knee from running, so this scope/rifle combo will get put through it’s paces most likely after deer closes and our hog extermination efforts start back up.