Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    153
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Can you recommend a quality 5.56 cal Heavy Barrel profile AR15 barrel

    I am building a ar15 rifle with my son. In order for it to be Maryland compliant in the 5.56 caliber it needs to be a Heavy barrel profile. I believe many barrel makers make a heavy barrel profile but not all of them call it that. Maryland deems the M4 barrel profile evil but not the Hbar profile so it's my only option. For easily available cheap ammo we are sticking with the 5.56.
    Do you guys have any suggestions?
    Excuse the grammar errors I am posting this from my phone.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,354
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    How does MD define a Heavy Barrel?

    What length?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mn.
    Posts
    1,258
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Semi-Automatic Assault Rifles are BANNED in Maryland. (Unless OWNED BEFORE 10/1/2013)

    Assault Rifle means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (ii) AK-47 in all forms;
    (iii) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto;
    (iv) AR 100 type semi-auto;
    (v) AR 180 type semi-auto;
    (vi) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto;
    (vii) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto;
    (viii) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics;
    (ix) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto;
    (x) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto;
    (xi) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle;
    (xii) Calico models M-100 and M-900;
    (xiii) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto;
    (xiv) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines;
    (xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations
    ***except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;*** PER the M.S.P. an HBAR is defined as a AR15 that is MARKED BHAR on the Barrel or Receiver or is Marketed/Advertised by the Manufacturer as a HBAR Rifle.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mn.
    Posts
    1,258
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Barrel length? Budget? Also consider the .223 Wylde chamber. It does everything 556 will do and more accurate.

    https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4001-0005
    Last edited by Stone; 18 January 2019 at 10:20.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,354
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Barrel length? Budget? Also consider the .223 Wylde chamber. It does everything 556 will do and more accurate.

    https://dsgarms.com/dsg-4001-0005
    Good call, or I can give him a 30% off coupon for a Mod 2 barrel. I figure anything with a .800 GB seat would be considered a heavy barrel.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,284
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Good call, or I can give him a 30% off coupon for a Mod 2 barrel. I figure anything with a .800 GB seat would be considered a heavy barrel.
    You know what I’d recommend barrel-wise! And 30% off to boot

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mn.
    Posts
    1,258
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Good call, or I can give him a 30% off coupon for a Mod 2 barrel. I figure anything with a .800 GB seat would be considered a heavy barrel.
    Hell yeah, that's a smoking good deal on a quality barrel.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,142
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    DocSherm's got a Gummint Profile barrel right here for a hell of a price and he's a good dude to do business with: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-and-Gun-Parts
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,142
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Good call, or I can give him a 30% off coupon for a Mod 2 barrel. I figure anything with a .800 GB seat would be considered a heavy barrel.
    I didn't get in on the last dealie for budgetary reasons, but if you find any mroe of those laying around, I got a Valkyrie just calling my name. Just sayin'. :whistle:
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,354
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I didn't get in on the last dealie for budgetary reasons, but if you find any mroe of those laying around, I got a Valkyrie just calling my name. Just sayin'. :whistle:
    Got a ton of one use coupons left. I'm going to make a post later offering them up if you want one.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    153
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    How does MD define a Heavy Barrel?

    What length?
    A local gun shop asked the Maryland State Police licensing division trooper that question and got this answer:


    Maryland law states only "heavy barrel" AR-15 are legal for build, purchase or sell after October 01, 2013. Maryland law states a "MANUFACTURER" designates what they build is a "heavy barrel"
    Maryland does not require or does NOT spell out any specifications for a "heavy barrel" ONLY what the MANUFACTURER designates and or builds as THEIR "heavy barrel"
    the manufacture can do so by stating it in their specifications for their build or mark the said firearm with "heavy barrel"

    so....after Thursday's seminar with the Maryland State Police firearms registration section.......I asked the question:

    IF the manufacturer builds their AR-15 with a "pencil" barrel; .620 O/D or basically ANY SIZE out side diameter barrel with a legal length of 16 inches overall.....AND the manufacture ENGRAVES or marks the that barrel....as 'HEAVY BARREL"
    it is now a LEGAL "HEAVY BARREL" IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND!
    several M.S.P. troopers at this meeting advised I was correct.

    Length doesn't matter. Anything shorter than 16" falls under NFA and the profile doesn't matter.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    153
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I think I am going to buy that barrel on the forum. I am building a pistol. I was going 12.5 but 12 will do at that price. He would gladly put the coupon to use. He is working on a first year fire fighter budget. I was hopping under $200.00 for the barrel but I am not sure if that is realistic. I was also looking at the .223 Wylde. A shop I follow on book face posted some AP 18" spr uppers with Hanson barrels for $340.00

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    153
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I checked with BA they don't think the spr barrel complies with Maryland's law. So that is a no go.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,354
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
    A local gun shop asked the Maryland State Police licensing division trooper that question and got this answer:


    Maryland law states only "heavy barrel" AR-15 are legal for build, purchase or sell after October 01, 2013. Maryland law states a "MANUFACTURER" designates what they build is a "heavy barrel"
    Maryland does not require or does NOT spell out any specifications for a "heavy barrel" ONLY what the MANUFACTURER designates and or builds as THEIR "heavy barrel"
    the manufacture can do so by stating it in their specifications for their build or mark the said firearm with "heavy barrel"

    so....after Thursday's seminar with the Maryland State Police firearms registration section.......I asked the question:

    IF the manufacturer builds their AR-15 with a "pencil" barrel; .620 O/D or basically ANY SIZE out side diameter barrel with a legal length of 16 inches overall.....AND the manufacture ENGRAVES or marks the that barrel....as 'HEAVY BARREL"
    it is now a LEGAL "HEAVY BARREL" IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND!
    several M.S.P. troopers at this meeting advised I was correct.

    Length doesn't matter. Anything shorter than 16" falls under NFA and the profile doesn't matter.
    In that case, I'd just buy whatever barrel you wanted and have someone laser engrave "Heavy Barrel" on it. That's so ridiculous.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    153
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    The mod 2 barrel you spoke of which Rainer arms barrel were you referencing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •