Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ordered New Camera - Thoughts/Comments?

I wanted a camera that was just a little more feature filled than a phone. An entry level camera that can be up and running quickly in auto mode, as I read and learn more about photography. I chose a Canon M50 with a 15mm - 45mm lens, which I got for $509, shipped.

I mostly wanted a camera for action shots, such as big game fishing, all types of auto and motorcycle racing and things like that. I really needed to be able to add a polarized lens for fishing on choppy water, to kill the glare a bit. The camera also features 4K video, but I doubt that will be a feature that I'd use much, if at all.

I read a lot, before making a choice, and the M50 seems to be just right, for me, a person who has only a basic understanding of photography , if that, but according to reviews, it can be pressed into action in an emergency by an advanced/pro photographer and give "decent" results.

Anyone have any thoughts about the M50, they'd like to share? Remember, I'm pretty much a flat out newb.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I can see the m50 is decent for an entry level camera. I'd focus on composition and light placement

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    From what I can see the m50 is decent for an entry level camera. I'd focus on composition and light placement
    This.

You can really get some great pictures with an iPhone 10 or any of the new Samsungs. I've been using my phone more than breaking out the camera.

If you're doing more specialized stuff like the racing photos you mention, probably want to upgrade your lens for your purposes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am with the others. Concentrate on learning techniques.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 4 February 2019 at 19:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This.

You can really get some great pictures with an iPhone 10 or any of the new Samsungs. I've been using my phone more than breaking out the camera.

If you're doing more specialized stuff like the racing photos you mention, probably want to upgrade your lens for your purposes.
    I've used my Galaxy 9 for fishing, and without a polarizing filter, it's pretty useless, with the glare on the water. Got some really shitty pictures of some true trophy fish. Another reason I went with the M50, so I can use different lenses for different purposes without the "crazy" expense of lenses for "pro" quality work, or the steep learning curve.

Thanks for all of your inputs.

FT

Caveat. All of my "Trophy" fish are catch and release. Most, you can't even pull in the boat, which makes removing hooks from sharks and other mean ones can get nerve wracking, a bit, so I have to photograph the fish at the surface, next to the boat, and glare just kills the photo's.
    Last edited by FortTom; 4 February 2019 at 12:28.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    All of my "Trophy" fish are catch and release. Most, you can't even pull in the boat, which makes removing hooks from sharks and other mean ones can get nerve wracking, a bit, so I have to photograph the fish at the surface, next to the boat, and glare just kills the photo's.
    Sounds to me like a good flash of some variety might be in order. About how far away and how big are said fish?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They can be 20 feet away, or unless they bite the leader, we pull them right up to the boat to release them. Size varies, I've caught saw fish that were 12 feet, sharks around 10 feet or so, give or take a foot or two, or Goliath Groupers that go about 6 feet, but their sheer girth can put them in the 400lb size, more often than not, 200lbs. Looking for Bull Sharks this year. Size for them are all over the place. Tarpon, about 5 feet or so.

Thanks,

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 4 February 2019 at 13:19.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I bought a book that a friend, who's an advanced photographer, recommended for a beginner. I'll read up on those two areas.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Thanks, I bought a book that a friend, who's an advanced photographer, recommended for a beginner. I'll read up on those two areas.

FT
    Excellent. Guided education is very important, I wouldn't recommend the way I (and others) did it just by trial and error.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Excellent. Guided education is very important, I wouldn't recommend the way I (and others) did it just by trial and error.
    My plan is to read the camera manual, and read the book(s) I bought and shoot pictures while the material is fresh on my mind. Until I get proficient in one area, and move to another topic, I can always put it back in auto mode, and shoot pics for fun, until I'm ready to start manually change/adjust settings. That's the plan, anyway.

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    This.

What lens would you recommend?

Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Master the one that comes stock, or else you'll divide your learning, become overwhelmed and bring everything to a grinding halt. Ask me how I know.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Master the one that comes stock, or else you'll divide your learning, become overwhelmed and bring everything to a grinding halt. Ask me how I know.
    I guess that makes sense.

Thx,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Only if the stock one fits your needs.

No reason to learn on a crappy 18-55 $50 lens if that's not what you plan to use 99% of the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only if the stock one fits your needs.

No reason to learn on a crappy 18-55 $50 lens if that's not what you plan to use 99% of the time.
    Actually, the lens is a 18-45 and retail of $199, with a street price of $149. Given that, I know that is still a "cheap" lens. But it'll do while I learn at least the basics, at least I think it will.

I can upgrade later. For a second lens I was going to get a zoom for sports/action and all around zoom. Two options are a 18-150 w/stabilizers, and a 55-200. Together, both should cover all of my needs, until I get through a basic working knowledge of composing, lighting, etc. Right now, my ass is on fire to learn how to use it at a reasonable skill level so I don't get another crappy bunch of photos on my fishing trip to the FL Keys this year.

Of those two lenses would you (or anyone else who happens on here) suggest?

Lastly, I could get an adapter to mount all modern Canon lenses that lets you use all of the features, auto, settings, autofocus etc..etc. That's an option too. But for now, as a newb, I don't want to get too deep into expensive gear. You might remember when I bought my ex-girlfriend a bunch of expensive lenses and a more upscale camera, and when I showed her the door, I sold the gear, primarily because I knew there would be a huge learning curve and I sure as hell wasn't going to give it back to her.

Sorry to bug you all so much, but I need just a little "jump start" to stay on the right and sane track.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger