Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
Only if the stock one fits your needs.

No reason to learn on a crappy 18-55 $50 lens if that's not what you plan to use 99% of the time.
I am with UW here for sure. Learn the quirks of whatever lens you plan to use. If you don't know what you plan to use, go out and try to wear the shutter out of your camera. Take it on walks or whatever you do so that you can get used to it. It won't do any good being a 'shelf camera'.

Even if you are not taking pictures of game fish or other stuff, just the sheer amount of 'quality practice' you put in will reveal itself later on when it matters.

I don't know about other people but I think just going and getting some shots and putting the ones you like best up here and let us give you feedback will help with that initial learning curve.

Me personally I don't focus on going 100 mph and taking 500 photos in one walk. I go for quality over quantity most of the time (at least when I am not being put up to taking pictures for the family reunion or something). Taking a dozen or two thoughtful shots is better than 200 just point it and click shots.