Downloads
    Uploads

A couple of projects... (AR9?)

I have a couple of projects that I am trying to get into. The first is I am going to SBR another AR lower for my .300 BLK upper. The second might take me a while but I am still very much on the fence about it.

---

I like the idea of a PCC but then again I am not so sure. I keep going back and forth on it. If I do decide to make the plunge I will probably buy the (two) lowers at the same time and only have to do one trip to the engraver and submit both at the same time. The PCC might not get finished for six months or a year but the hard part will be out of the way.

---

A few areas of input from you guys though because I want to have an idea in my head how this thing will look before I jump in spending a bunch of money on something I could potentially be married to forever.

1. Barrel length? What would be an optimal barrel length? I see everything from 4 inches up to 16 inches. I also see on Ballistic Advantage site that they thread many of their barrels 1/2 x36. I am really wondering WTF is that all about?

[A note about ammo-- as a reloader I think it would be nice to just buy a ton of 9mm brass and just load up say 4 to 5 or more - 3 gallon buckets full of 9mm 147 subs. 3 gallon buckets because 5 gallon is too heavy to move but 3 gallon works well--I've tried both. I would like to basically have one load that works in all my stuff for plinking and whatnot. One powder, one bullet, etc etc makes life a lot easier... and I can go use a high dollar progressive press if I need to to the job done faster]

Also on the topic of barrels at some point barrel length has diminishing returns but I am not sure what it is in 9mm. I am not sold on a little 4 inch barrel though for a variety of reasons. My initial thoughts are to go in the 6 to 8 inch range. I don't know what impact this would have on velocity though or if it would fit in with my one load fits all system.

I would also think putting a permanent 3 lug mount on the end would be cool and I can just get the 3 lug kit from GA and run the whole thing in the K configuration to keep the OAL down (when suppressed). I also would like good fitment (as good as I can reasonably expect) with the rail. An alternative solution would be to get GA's 9mm taper mount hammer comp as a permanent muzzle attachment and do that. To be honest both seem like they would have virtues.

[FYI I have plans for several more cans in the medium term if possible]

----

On the back end of this thing I have not yet decided what I would want to do. I am heavily leaning towards doing a really awesome shorty range toy so a super short [or folding stock] would be cool, maybe even some flavor of PDW.

[Side note: for a true truck gun I think at some future date doing a .300 BLK side folder pistol out of say an Aero set plus like an 8" barrel and have it running something like 110 grain ammo unsuppressed 100% of the time would be fine]

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 17 February 2019 at 17:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not really sold on AR9s but love my MPX. That said, if I really wanted an AR9 but wasn't in a hurry I think I'd hold off until Aero Precision gets theirs into the market. Might be another year, but they say it's on the way. Look what they did to the AR 308 market with their M5.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I'm not really sold on AR9s but love my MPX. That said, if I really wanted an AR9 but wasn't in a hurry I think I'd hold off until Aero Precision gets theirs into the market. Might be another year, but they say it's on the way. Look what they did to the AR 308 market with their M5.
    Definitely not in a hurry but an evening of searching the internet the following things have my eye...

7.5" barrel, CMT upper, lower, and a 6.7" handguard, and on the back end a BAD 9mm VERT system...

If my estimates are right that would give me about a 22" collapsed OAL if I include the muzzle device (with a 7.5" barrel). With a suppressor it would be well under 30". It would definitely check most of the boxes.

I am definitely not in a hurry. I am not even really committed to the idea.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A 9mm ar is on the list.

Boiler keeps talking about aero making some 9mm receivers but I haven’t seen squat