Downloads
    Uploads

Sabre Defence barrels any good?

I am looking for a good quality 20" barrel with the rifle length gas system, with the 1:7 twist rate and M4 feed ramps. I am not seeing too many of these online, that are from manufacturers I care to buy from anyway. I would rather not use the Noveske or Rainer barrels as none of these are black phosphate coated that I can see, and they cost a bit more than I wanted to spend. Sabre Defence has one at Rainier, and the price ok for me, but I don't know if their barrels are appropriate for a SHTF type firearm. They seem to cater more towards the target/competition market, right? What is their reputation? Any help is appreciated.

and yes, I misspelled their company name in my original post. but to my credit, the spell check shows "defence" as wrong, so.....
    Last edited by Creeky73; 16 April 2010 at 18:45.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sabre makes vary nice barrels; however I think they are a little over priced. BCM also has 20in barrels for about $60 less. I would take the BCM over Sabre.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-2...s-20%20std.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not many barrel manufacturers make fluted barrels. And if weight is an issue, you might want to look into Sabre Defence a little more.

-rebelEMPIRE

Downloads
    Uploads
    For SHTF, a lightweight DD or BCM would be a better choice.
    If you're looking for a fluted precision rig that's still pretty lightweight, then Sabre is worth looking at.

Their 14.5" Middy used to be unique, but now that BCM and DD both have those as options in the works, I'd go that route.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Sabre Barrels are CMV chrome lined and MP tested. Sabre is a large military contract holder so they are GTG and on par with the BCM line. The DD line is a step above IMO because of they are hammer forged. If you have seen the process of HForging, you will understand why it's a better process.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the biggest difference is the contours available, and now that both DD and BCM have the govvy 14.5" midlength units, those are cheaper, and arguably better for the reasons mentioned above.
    I still prefer a lightweight, and the prices of the DD units are extremely attractive, more so when compared to the Sabre units.

If you see a good price on a Sabre, snap it up.
    S/F
    "There is no greater calling than to defend the life of a fellow Marine" - LtCol McClane, USMC

Downloads
    Uploads
    the biggest problem is that I have settled on an 18" or 20" and it must have the rifle gas system. As far as I know, that eliminates DD right away. I believe their 18" is a midlength system. The only two manufacturers of any reputation I would trust that I could find making 20" in government profile is Sabre and BCM, for $299 and $229 respectively. Rainer Arms makes a good looking 18" but it is the heavy barrel profile, and just a bit outside what I wanted to spend. I don't doubt that it is worth every penny though. White Oak Armament also makes an 18" in heavy barrel profile, which is available with a matching bolt, but I know nothing about them aside from that. I think in the end I am just going to go with the BCM 20". If general consensus is that it is as good as the Sabre for $70 less, that sounds good to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I think the biggest difference is the contours available, and now that both DD and BCM have the govvy 14.5" midlength units, those are cheaper, and arguably better for the reasons mentioned above.
    I still prefer a lightweight, and the prices of the DD units are extremely attractive, more so when compared to the Sabre units.

If you see a good price on a Sabre, snap it up.
    I wish I had seen this thread two weeks ago. I bought the Sabre through Brownells (at dealer discount) and still have to deal with removing the permanently attached extended A2. The DD is a simpler way to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I won't have any problems with that since I won't be getting a barrel with the flash hider permanently attached. I have to admit that there is a bit of attraction to Sabre's name brand, since you see their products advertised quite a bit in gun publications, but I am not going to fall in that trap if the BCM is just as good, and much cheaper. If I could get the Sabre for say, $20 or so more, that would be one thing, but at $70 more it is a hard sell.