Downloads
    Uploads

Battle Arms Vert vs CMT Monolithic PDW (and other PDW type stock systems)

I am curious to learn more about the pros and cons for the PDW stock systems out there, why you want to run one like that, any quirks, likes, dislikes, etc.

My current SBR system(s) that I have balance very well. It's not butt heavy or nose heavy even with a suppressor but I am wondering if a PDW would alter that, and any other tidbits of information you might can offer.

On my current build it's obviously a standard CMT lower but I know they do offer a monolithic PDW style as well. I am wondering why would you choose a monolithic version and be married to it forever vs a separate stock like the VERT where you could change it out if you wanted to mix it up some.

One idea (among many) I have is to do a PDW style 9mm AR. I did some basic measurements and I think I could get the OAL down to 18" or under in that scenario, which would be awesome.

As for now just a generic conversation on PDW style stocks (pros AND cons) is what I would like to learn/hear opinions about. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another specific question I have is regarding 'tuning' a rifle with a PDW. With a standard stock you can drop in heavier springs and/or H2/H3 buffers to iron out any kinks. In 5.56 or 300BLK is that an issue with any of the PDW styles including the monolithic ones?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This doesn’t help any.but Since they came out, something has drawn me to the CMT pdw.

One day..

Downloads
    Uploads
    PDW style weapon you're going to give up a comfortable stock, for something that is more compact than comfortable.

PDW stocks generally don't give you a great cheek weld and QD locations are sometimes less than ideal. But if you want an actual PDW, there are going to be some compromises over a standard SBR.

I have to CMT PDW's and one Battle Arms VERT stock. I like the fact I can put the VERT stock on just a standard forged lower if I don't want a billet CMT. Otherwise they are the same stock, function wise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    PDW style weapon you're going to give up a comfortable stock, for something that is more compact than comfortable.

PDW stocks generally don't give you a great cheek weld and QD locations are sometimes less than ideal. But if you want an actual PDW, there are going to be some compromises over a standard SBR.

I have to CMT PDW's and one Battle Arms VERT stock. I like the fact I can put the VERT stock on just a standard forged lower if I don't want a billet CMT. Otherwise they are the same stock, function wise.
    Great information! Thank you!

Is there any way to compensate on the back end of the VERT or any other PDW for guns with less than ideal gas? Do they make heavier buffers for example?

If you are needing to slow down the bolt carrier some for more reliable function how would this happen with a PDW?
    Last edited by alamo5000; 14 March 2019 at 09:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    This doesn’t help any.but Since they came out, something has drawn me to the CMT pdw.

One day..
    I think they all look awesome but there is some trade off (has to be). I just didn't know what those trade offs would be. UW to the rescue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your PDW is overgassed, an adj gb is your solution. If undergassed, open the port a little more.

The vert is the shortest of the PDW stocks last I checked and one of the few with a decent cheek weld. My opinion is that the only advantages to the PDW stock is its short length for those that need it when stowing and still want it fully functioning immediately upon deploy. The other advantage is internet cred.

I had the vert. A+ for a PDW stock. Sold it because I had no need for the advantage over which outweighed the cons.

Otherwise the law tactical folder gets you shorter for stowing but only gives you one shot before deploying. Deployment takes .25 seconds and gives you the option of standard parts and stock of choice.

I think the honey badger PDW stock is the only one that looks interesting to me based on integrating the attachment more in line with recoil as well as appears to be more comfortable stock. But that requires buying the whole rifle from Q or Noveske.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    If your PDW is overgassed, an adj gb is your solution. If undergassed, open the port a little more.

The vert is the shortest of the PDW stocks last I checked and one of the few with a decent cheek weld. My opinion is that the only advantages to the PDW stock is its short length for those that need it when stowing and still want it fully functioning immediately upon deploy. The other advantage is internet cred.

I had the vert. A+ for a PDW stock. Sold it because I had no need for the advantage over which outweighed the cons.

Otherwise the law tactical folder gets you shorter for stowing but only gives you one shot before deploying. Deployment takes .25 seconds and gives you the option of standard parts and stock of choice.

I think the honey badger PDW stock is the only one that looks interesting to me based on integrating the attachment more in line with recoil as well as appears to be more comfortable stock. But that requires buying the whole rifle from Q or Noveske.
    Thanks! That's also very valuable info. My current SBR and the one I am building up are going to be the traditional thing. I am thinking about future builds that may or may not include a 9mm SBR. For my future truck gun (after the convo with Voodoo Man) I think I might get an Aero set and do like a 7" or 8" side folding 300BLK with a brace on it, so no NFA for that...110 grain supers and we are off to the races.

The 9mm though I am thinking about doing something different which may or may not include a PDW. Nothing is etched in stone yet by any means.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now, since they are proprietary buffers you're at the mercy of the manufacturer if they'll produce additional weights.

I'd do what fledge suggested, get an adjustable GB to mitigate some of the gas issues if that happens to be a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Right now, since they are proprietary buffers you're at the mercy of the manufacturer if they'll produce additional weights.

I'd do what fledge suggested, get an adjustable GB to mitigate some of the gas issues if that happens to be a problem.
    As of this thread I would be inclined to stay away from a 5.56 or 300BLK PDW...the term "proprietary" tends to scare me off. That said 9mm is still on the table. I don't doubt the people at Battle Arms tested it with 900 variations of ammo, and since that is a direct blowback instead of gas impingement...that could be a whole different animal.

Before I commit to that set up though I am going to look around local to me gun shops and try to get a feel for the whole PDW thing before just throwing cash around. Lately money is tight but I am giving myself a gift for everyone getting through my dad's surgery etc etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want or need a PDW, just remember that it's for a specific role. Shorter stock, shorter barrel... all makes up for a lot of compromises. It's also a fun range toy.

I have 2 CMT PDW's with 7.5" barrels and 1 VERT stock with a 10.5" barrel. They have so far run 100% with the provided buffers without adjustable gas blocks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is 100% want, not need. Many of the guys here are using stuff for work but not me. That said I will pay extra for the reliability factor. I don't like shitty or finicky parts or whatever.

As for the fun factor I definitely want it to be fun, and maybe fit into a backpack or whatever. Have a nice little camping gun or whatnot or just a cool range blaster.

I kind of give premium for comfort to some degree.

The gun for possible PDW would be a 9mm. I think it would be different than normal but fun also.