Thread: Steel targets

Downloads
    Uploads

Steel targets

Looking at getting/building some steel targets setups to shoot at, as it gets boring shooting at random targets, clay pigeons all the time. Had some regular steel targets we blasted at with ar,s and well they didn’t last long.

Always wanted one of those dueling trees. But I don’t want to pay the crazy money, and I like to diy about anything I can and think I can....

Also looking at a few 6-8” round static targets plates for 9’s etc..off a 2x4 bracket dealio or such..

So....post up some pics of what you’ve built, bought , shoot at etc..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Something you might want to consider ... Plate rack in a bucket ... for our spring and fall shoots, three of us each bought one of these. Now we have a dueling tree and three six plate racks. The plate racks hang on a 2x4 setup. Takes three 2x4's to build it. Pretty reasonably priced for what you get, AR-550 steel plates and hangers.

https://mgmtargets.com/plate-racks-d...nge-plate-rack
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Been using JC steel targets for years. For my pistol range I use the 4" rounds and a few 8" rounds. Every few years I have to rebuild the pistol setup as its a few stripped pine trees and ends up getting shot up. I make 3-9' logs out of fresh cut pine trees and post hole 2 of them into the ground vertically then lay the third across the top horizontally. Then I use lag screws to hold the rounds across the horizontal log making sure to angle the screws to deflect the bullet splatter down towards the ground. You could also use 6x6 treated posts. I like the 45% ISPC targets they have along with the T-post brackets and T-posts for the carbine course which is scattered around the bottom 40 acres. This is a great setup because I can move the targets around to change up the course. I used to paint mine but noticed when they are unpainted its harder to acquire them and really forces me to focus on all my shots since the grey target blends in well with the forest background. I only use the 3/8" AR500 plates.
    https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/search?cid=386
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like The Last Stand system; got some rebar from construction junk piles and it’s easy

Use thicker rebar and you can make a horizontal bar long enough for 3-5 plates of varying size

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Something you might want to consider ... Plate rack in a bucket ... for our spring and fall shoots, three of us each bought one of these. Now we have a dueling tree and three six plate racks. The plate racks hang on a 2x4 setup. Takes three 2x4's to build it. Pretty reasonably priced for what you get, AR-550 steel plates and hangers.

Thank you for posting this! Just what my group had been discussing, and I just ordered one!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post

Hey jerry , thanks for the link. Nice setup and quite a selection. Gives me some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Been using JC steel targets for years. For my pistol range I use the 4" rounds and a few 8" rounds. Every few years I have to rebuild the pistol setup as its a few stripped pine trees and ends up getting shot up. I make 3-9' logs out of fresh cut pine trees and post hole 2 of them into the ground vertically then lay the third across the top horizontally. Then I use lag screws to hold the rounds across the horizontal log making sure to angle the screws to deflect the bullet splatter down towards the ground. You could also use 6x6 treated posts. I like the 45% ISPC targets they have along with the T-post brackets and T-posts for the carbine course which is scattered around the bottom 40 acres. This is a great setup because I can move the targets around to change up the course. I used to paint mine but noticed when they are unpainted its harder to acquire them and really forces me to focus on all my shots since the grey target blends in well with the forest background. I only use the 3/8" AR500 plates.
    https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/search?cid=386
    Thanks for the info. I’ve seen some nifty t post brackets out there. I wish I had my own property to shoot as they seem like a solid idea if you’ve got some of them laying around.

Whatever I decide on is gonna have to be transported and setup. So easy setup is a priority and weight, but it is steel so not gonna save much there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    Thank you for posting this! Just what my group had been discussing, and I just ordered one!

Haha...nice!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you have access to a small welding machine to weld up some small parts?

I bought some AR500 plates and mounted them to T-posts, which you can put just about anywhere. I just welded up some small little attachment devices and it works like a charm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry I didn’t make that totally clear..

I have a welder, scrap steel stuff and wood laying around , that’s not a problem. I enjoy making stuff and a hobbyist of all kinds steel, wood, cars , motors etc.. so the diy is strong, plus I’m poor..😄

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Sorry I didn’t make that totally clear..

I have a welder, scrap steel stuff and wood laying around , that’s not a problem. I enjoy making stuff and a hobbyist of all kinds steel, wood, cars , motors etc.. so the diy is strong, plus I’m poor..��
    Awesome. We did ours DIY for really cheap especially since we have the tools (welder) etc to put it together. I will go take a pic in the next day or two of the brackets we made so you can get some good ideas.

The only thing I actually spent money on was the actual AR500 plates. For hanging rifle targets it works really well and it's cheap. For pistol it works good too for a single target. The plate racks do look cool though so I might buy one of those later or figure out how to make something cheap and fun to shoot with little plates.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to bring this back up

I’m looking at the DIY kits , Something like this and the end user supplies their own angle iron and whatever to make a base and then weld it all up, and slap some paint on it.. I’m overdue for a project so I’m gonna make one soon, just need to decide on 4 or 6” targets, 6 or 8 , but thinking 6 as I don’t want it to tall
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 20 March 2019 at 23:22.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We run six 6" plates. At fifteen yards, with the timer going, mano-a-mano, those plates are VERY small. At last year's spring shoot, we had one session that ran a total of 136 shots before all the plates were on one side. (not all of those were misses UW - I can see you coming LOL)
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input Jerry. I won’t say anything bad as I haven’t shot at these before..lol..

So your saying the 4” plates are maybe to small..