Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Steel targets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    3,446
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Steel targets

    Looking at getting/building some steel targets setups to shoot at, as it gets boring shooting at random targets, clay pigeons all the time. Had some regular steel targets we blasted at with ar,s and well they didnít last long.

    Always wanted one of those dueling trees. But I donít want to pay the crazy money, and I like to diy about anything I can and think I can....

    Also looking at a few 6-8Ē round static targets plates for 9ís etc..off a 2x4 bracket dealio or such..

    So....post up some pics of what youíve built, bought , shoot at etc..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Florida - Gulf Side
    Posts
    1,751
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    2
    Something you might want to consider ... Plate rack in a bucket ... for our spring and fall shoots, three of us each bought one of these. Now we have a dueling tree and three six plate racks. The plate racks hang on a 2x4 setup. Takes three 2x4's to build it. Pretty reasonably priced for what you get, AR-550 steel plates and hangers.

    https://mgmtargets.com/plate-racks-d...nge-plate-rack
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mn.
    Posts
    1,173
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Been using JC steel targets for years. For my pistol range I use the 4" rounds and a few 8" rounds. Every few years I have to rebuild the pistol setup as its a few stripped pine trees and ends up getting shot up. I make 3-9' logs out of fresh cut pine trees and post hole 2 of them into the ground vertically then lay the third across the top horizontally. Then I use lag screws to hold the rounds across the horizontal log making sure to angle the screws to deflect the bullet splatter down towards the ground. You could also use 6x6 treated posts. I like the 45% ISPC targets they have along with the T-post brackets and T-posts for the carbine course which is scattered around the bottom 40 acres. This is a great setup because I can move the targets around to change up the course. I used to paint mine but noticed when they are unpainted its harder to acquire them and really forces me to focus on all my shots since the grey target blends in well with the forest background. I only use the 3/8" AR500 plates.
    https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/search?cid=386
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,186
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I like The Last Stand system; got some rebar from construction junk piles and it’s easy

    Use thicker rebar and you can make a horizontal bar long enough for 3-5 plates of varying size

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East of Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    160
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Something you might want to consider ... Plate rack in a bucket ... for our spring and fall shoots, three of us each bought one of these. Now we have a dueling tree and three six plate racks. The plate racks hang on a 2x4 setup. Takes three 2x4's to build it. Pretty reasonably priced for what you get, AR-550 steel plates and hangers.

    https://mgmtargets.com/plate-racks-d...nge-plate-rack
    Thank you for posting this! Just what my group had been discussing, and I just ordered one!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    3,446
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Something you might want to consider ... Plate rack in a bucket ... for our spring and fall shoots, three of us each bought one of these. Now we have a dueling tree and three six plate racks. The plate racks hang on a 2x4 setup. Takes three 2x4's to build it. Pretty reasonably priced for what you get, AR-550 steel plates and hangers.

    https://mgmtargets.com/plate-racks-d...nge-plate-rack
    Hey jerry , thanks for the link. Nice setup and quite a selection. Gives me some ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Been using JC steel targets for years. For my pistol range I use the 4" rounds and a few 8" rounds. Every few years I have to rebuild the pistol setup as its a few stripped pine trees and ends up getting shot up. I make 3-9' logs out of fresh cut pine trees and post hole 2 of them into the ground vertically then lay the third across the top horizontally. Then I use lag screws to hold the rounds across the horizontal log making sure to angle the screws to deflect the bullet splatter down towards the ground. You could also use 6x6 treated posts. I like the 45% ISPC targets they have along with the T-post brackets and T-posts for the carbine course which is scattered around the bottom 40 acres. This is a great setup because I can move the targets around to change up the course. I used to paint mine but noticed when they are unpainted its harder to acquire them and really forces me to focus on all my shots since the grey target blends in well with the forest background. I only use the 3/8" AR500 plates.
    https://jcsteeltargets.configio.com/search?cid=386
    Thanks for the info. I’ve seen some nifty t post brackets out there. I wish I had my own property to shoot as they seem like a solid idea if you’ve got some of them laying around.

    Whatever I decide on is gonna have to be transported and setup. So easy setup is a priority and weight, but it is steel so not gonna save much there I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    Thank you for posting this! Just what my group had been discussing, and I just ordered one!

    Haha...nice!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,653
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Do you have access to a small welding machine to weld up some small parts?

    I bought some AR500 plates and mounted them to T-posts, which you can put just about anywhere. I just welded up some small little attachment devices and it works like a charm.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    3,446
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Sorry I didnít make that totally clear..

    I have a welder, scrap steel stuff and wood laying around , thatís not a problem. I enjoy making stuff and a hobbyist of all kinds steel, wood, cars , motors etc.. so the diy is strong, plus Iím poor..😄

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,653
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Sorry I didn’t make that totally clear..

    I have a welder, scrap steel stuff and wood laying around , that’s not a problem. I enjoy making stuff and a hobbyist of all kinds steel, wood, cars , motors etc.. so the diy is strong, plus I’m poor..��
    Awesome. We did ours DIY for really cheap especially since we have the tools (welder) etc to put it together. I will go take a pic in the next day or two of the brackets we made so you can get some good ideas.

    The only thing I actually spent money on was the actual AR500 plates. For hanging rifle targets it works really well and it's cheap. For pistol it works good too for a single target. The plate racks do look cool though so I might buy one of those later or figure out how to make something cheap and fun to shoot with little plates.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •