Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    And to Aragon's point...if you have an already functioning system, don't screw with it. You're good. Don't over-think it.
    For some of us, screwing with it is half the fun. And this is Weapon Evolution, after all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Unless your gun is really over gassed or you're shooting suppressed, I think this obsession the last few years with buffers is gotten out of control.
    99% suppressed all the time on this one with the option for unsuppressed, but very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    You said it. Of course it's gonna drive Alamo's OCD batshit, so grab some more Orville Redenbacker's.
    It's almost like you know me!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    But there’s also been so many advancements it makes ya wonder what does work, maybe better?

Lmao.....I agree.....sorry Alamo......
    It's ok. We all gotta laugh even if it's at ourselves. You did touch on an important part...new whizbang parts that are supposed to be special... do they really work? This does make me wonder sometimes. Just put in a search for H2 buffer and you get a dozen varieties all in different weights.

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    And to Aragon's point...if you have an already functioning system, don't screw with it. You're good. Don't over-think it.
    Understood.

My point is this... my current SBR won't be touched. It's staying like it is and I won't have to swap uppers anymore. Having an upper with no lower makes me feel kind of naked. It has to grow into a full rifle hence this whole build and putting together a new lower. It would be pretty easy to find a standard weight H2 buffer (or so I thought) and get the same spring I have and call it good.

That said as I hunted around for buffers in the H2 range they have a shit ton that are not at all 'standard' weight or whatever.

My question originally is kind of simple---but the answers might not be I guess. Basically put "if my buffer is too heavy what's gonna happen?" [read: if it's going to be a pain in the ass I don't want to mess with all that bullshit]

I know the lower will need a heavier buffer. This is a known quantity. But I go to order a plain vanilla heavier H2 buffer and a search on single site turns up no plain vanilla, just a 4oz, 4.3oz, 4.5oz, and 4.9oz and said marketing material leads to this thread.

If I under do it I know what will happen. Bolt over base, carrier speed too fast, constant stoppages, mangled brass, etc. If I over do it though and put something too heavy what are those symptoms? No LRBHO, maybe short stroking? Anything? Can basically an extra half oz cause things to be too slow? Is that even a thing?
    Last edited by alamo5000; 19 March 2019 at 00:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They got everything EXCEPT plain vanilla. It's sort of like a titanium castle nut or some gimmick like that, except when it comes to buffers they actually do stuff inside the gun and weight does matter when it comes to function. I just don't know how much leeway there is here. I will probably just pull the one out of my current SBR and put it on a scale and find out which one of those listed above is closest to it. It's not like I will be fawning over a cool looking buffer once the rifle is together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You sound like you're building a lower for the exact same caliber you already have, which I'm sure is not the case. You also have to consider that .300 and 9 mm have a softer recoil than 5.56. If you're building this for your B.O. upper, I think you will be surprised at how well it runs without any fiddling with the recoil system.

If you need to fart around with it that badly, take the upper apart, clean, lube and re-torque everything.

Or you can buy an adjustable buffer and replace the discs with tungsten shot for the most precise weight for custom handloads*.

*I can't name anybody that does this, probably because that minute a level of tuning returns no advantage.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having a buffer that’s too heavy can increase recoil impulse and cause issues with the next round being picked up.

There’s no way to know for sure without testing the various weights, like if you skipped from Carbine to H3, if the H or H2 would do the trick.

It may be a fun little experiment just to see ejection pattern shift and how the rifle responds but it will be more for satisfying a curiosity than anything else if the rifle current functions fine. But who knows, it could end up being more than that in terms of your rifle running more smoothly

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    For some of us, screwing with it is half the fun. And this is Weapon Evolution, after all.
    Fair enough. #merica

Quote Originally Posted by alamo
    My question originally is kind of simple---but the answers might not be I guess. Basically put "if my buffer is too heavy what's gonna happen?" [read: if it's going to be a pain in the ass I don't want to mess with all that bullshit]
    You keep asking the same question and keep getting the same answer. If you put a buffer in that's "too" heavy, then the rifle won't function correctly. Period. Also, as Former11B pointed out, you can get an increase in recoil impulse. If this happens, start going back down.

I know the lower will need a heavier buffer. This is a known quantity. But I go to order a plain vanilla heavier H2 buffer and a search on single site turns up no plain vanilla, just a 4oz, 4.3oz, 4.5oz, and 4.9oz and said marketing material leads to this thread.
    I mentioned going to the TDP to check the weights, but I meant to say go to the maintenance manual (easily downloaded here) and have a look. However, now that I'm home from work and took a look, I couldn't find the weights stated in there (after a quick glance). But I'd go find what Colt says their buffers weigh, since they held the TDP. Bottom line: carbine buffers can be various weights. Hx buffers should be "standard." Here's some info to start with: http://www.rifleshootermag.com/edito...on-ar15s/83752

Downloads
    Uploads
    I pulled the buffer out of my SBR and weighed it and inspected it. It appears to be a BCM H2 which weighs in at 4.6 oz per their specs and 4.585 oz on my scale.

I am 95% sure it's a BCM.

One plain vanilla buffer coming up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I emailed tech support at Griffin and they said their 4.9oz buffer was extensively tested but only with a standard spring. So with a 4.6 oz buffer and an XP spring that should take me about to the same place as their 'special' buffer.

Should be GTG because that's what I got already and it's proven.

Like I was saying above though, four choices of H2 buffers all gave me different buffer weights all on one major gun retailer's site. Pain in the ass. Both of us

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since your playing around, have you looked at the Armaspec SRS setup?

Hear a lot of good things about them at less then half a JP setup
    https://armaspec.com/product/stealth-recoil-spring/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Since your playing around, have you looked at the Armaspec SRS setup?

Hear a lot of good things about them at less then half a JP setup
    https://armaspec.com/product/stealth-recoil-spring/
    I've never heard of them. I finally figured out what kind of buffer I have already (it was a pay it forward buffer to help me trouble shoot a problem).

In the future I might experiment, or if someone else has tried it and it's remarkably better I would try them out for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heard nothing but good things from people that use them.

I’ve been eyeballing them forever.