Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Video review of the Explorr 6.5 can. I will probably pick up one of these. No metering data here but still good information.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Am I missing something? When I watch the SS range time videos, the Recce 5 provides 38db reduction, whereas the Explorr EX2 provides 29db reduction for a 16" 5.56. The Explorr is 3 ounces lighter and 0.3" shorter, but that doesn't seem worth the trade for 9db.
    One test was using 55 grain ammo and the other 62 grain ammo so not exactly equal tests. The ear noise was almost equal but muzzle was a big difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    One test was using 55 grain ammo and the other 62 grain ammo so not exactly equal tests. The ear noise was almost equal but muzzle was a big difference.
    Testing conditions, temperature, surroundings etc all make for variances.

I would like to see Griffin, SS, MAC, etc run a Recce 5 & 7 side by side with an EXPLORR .224/.30. Id send the ammo (or do the test myself if I had

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nobody without a police commission is going to take advantage of shorter, it's all about what looks the coolest. It boils down to 2 missions for the shooting public: Are you buying it to look cool, or be quiet? I like Griffin, but it seems they're playing this one to the look like a cool guy market. For my time and money, make mine as quiet as possible. Give me an M-110-style footlong any day.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Testing conditions, temperature, surroundings etc all make for variances.

I would like to see Griffin, SS, MAC, etc run a Recce 5 & 7 side by side with an EXPLORR .224/.30. Id send the ammo (or do the test myself if I had
    I want to see a heads up between the 5/7 and Explorr series too. I emailed them and asked for it directly. No response yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Nobody without a police commission is going to take advantage of shorter, it's all about what looks the coolest. It boils down to 2 missions for the shooting public: Are you buying it to look cool, or be quiet? I like Griffin, but it seems they're playing this one to the look like a cool guy market. For my time and money, make mine as quiet as possible. Give me an M-110-style footlong any day.
    I would have to disagree with you here. Shorter and lighter means a much more balanced gun for many. Nothing to do with cool. Cool is also a subjective term. I would go with shorter and lighter on my 300 BLK because the whole thing is designed to be short. If I can knock off an inch and 5 oz and still get the same performance...

What "I" think is Griffin is makng their life easier and company more profitable. Those cans like the Explorr are easier to make and easier to service. They also seem to acknowlege the whole muzzle vs port thing. If you make a muzzle whisper quiet but you have a 145 DB port pop, who cares what the muzzle is. It seems to me, rather than 'cool' that these Explorr are more balanced gas wise for semi auto but also much lighter, shorter and easier to fix when/if broken and probably easier/cheaper to manufacture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to admit I've never given a thought to balance and heft... at the range, or more realistically in my back yard. I'm not hunting with my AR's, and I don't have space/size constraints, so I tend to shoot larger guns. The SBR is a novelty; sure, I dig it and it makes me smile very biggly, but for a one gun solution it'll be a 14.5" or longer and the bipod or a pack can support all that nose-heavy weight.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know about you, but even when running drills, I'd rather not have an 8-9" can. Since I still wear earpro with suppressors, I'd pretty much migrated all over the K cans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I have to admit I've never given a thought to balance and heft... at the range, or more realistically in my back yard. I'm not hunting with my AR's, and I don't have space/size constraints, so I tend to shoot larger guns. The SBR is a novelty; sure, I dig it and it makes me smile very biggly, but for a one gun solution it'll be a 14.5" or longer and the bipod or a pack can support all that nose-heavy weight.
    For the bulk of my shooting (traditionally) I have been right there with you. Out in the back 950 acres not much space constraints....but since I got here (to Wevo) I expanded my horizons. I built my first AR here on the forum. Now I have three, two of which are SBR's...at least once I get that second stamp back.

I also think Griffin realized that with this line of Explorr series they realized that a 130 DB muzzle and a 144 DB port at that point is kind of over doing it in some respects. On a bolt gun yeah, but on an AR if they can trim weight and length and balance the gas mitigation (sort of like OSS school of thought) it is all a wash when it comes to the shooter. On paper is one thing, but real world is something else. 140 at the muzzle and 143 at the ear still requires ear pro but it allows for a different type of gas management. Which is what I think they did here.

Aside from technical stuff, I think just pure business wise look at where the Explorr are marked. They adopted this as have many other companies. If you get a baffle strike they can just saw it off and put more baffles on there and send it out. Makes life easier for them as a company, and I would venture to say a slight bit cheaper as a company to manufacture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I don't know about you, but even when running drills, I'd rather not have an 8-9" can. Since I still wear earpro with suppressors, I'd pretty much migrated all over the K cans.
    When I first started out I couldn't figure out why ANYONE would want a K can for the life of me. Since I have been running around shooting more SBR than anything for the past few years my opinions have changed. Not changed, but rather formed. If you are going to wear muffs and plugs or both shorter and lighter is better for running around doing cop or swat or some military type stuff, or even 3 gun for that matter.

Totally different game than say hunting where you are quietly stalking or waiting on an animal to appear.

Still though if you are inside of a car or small room and pull the trigger on almost anything, that will rattle your brains.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don’t have a can but I’m gonna pick the shorter can for a do all things kinda gun and leave the foot long dong for my mod 1 or similar...lol

Alamo-ya id like to see them do a test between the Reece 5/7 and these explorr cans.