Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First 308 build

Downloads
    Uploads

308 build

Allright fellas... never had one, always wanted one...well a deal I couldn’t pass up popped up , so after a drive to Rainier Arms , here’s the start to the first large frame AR I’ve had or built. Wanting something to punch paper, shoot steel and use to hunt as the itch to is there.

So the base of the build will be on this Aero Precision M5 lower and upper. Lower is complete from Aero with their LPK, AR-15 carbine length tube and shorty buffer and their spring.. I have been eyeballing the Armaspec SRS setup for my battkekitty , but I might test it out in this..TBD..

Back to the 308 here..starting out as

Aero M5 lower -complete as built from aero.
    Aero M5 upper
    Fortis CH
    Toolcraft/brownells nitride BCG

I’ve got a Magpul grip for it laying around, and I think a barrel has been sourced.Think I’m just gonna run a A2 for now. As a suppressor setup is hard on the mind and would need their mount..so...TBD..

Then just gas tube and block, which still unsure to go adj. from the get go or just a std for now then swap later..etc..

Oh and handguard, looking for a 15” ‘ish mlok something.. I want a cmt , but funds might have to settle on a aero something for now.. about a bill cheaper too..which is Ammo money in my mind..

Quick old iPhone pic to get this started..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 26 November 2020 at 16:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You’re welcome

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You’re welcome
    Haha...I can’t say thank you enough for all the help..and being a friend...it’s hard to come by now a days...#nohomo...

I’m excited to getting this done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Haha...I can’t say thank you enough for all the help..and being a friend...it’s hard to come by now a days...#nohomo...

I’m excited to getting this done.
    What parts are you short again?

Handguard? That pretty much it?

Sights?

Downloads
    Uploads
    After I play swap around with the now , parts gun. I should only need gas block,tube, handguard to get it up and running..

Well that and I’m gonna need to borrow or buy a reaction rod tool or such along with the go/no go guages.. not really setup for putting together big boy ARs yet.

Sights...not sure... might have to rob the 1-4 off the battlekitty for now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't help with the gauges, but I have a 308 reaction rod you can borrow. When you are ready for it, if you still need it, PM me with a shipping address.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Get the Seekins (fixed it) adj gas block. It's cheap, relative to others and it works. Save the money you'd spend on that gamble because 9 out of ten, you'll need it.
    Last edited by Joelski; 24 March 2019 at 20:04.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you are really planning out a lightweight build, I can't recommend the 2A Xanthos primarily becuase I absolutely hate their mounting system. You put 2 screws on each side that are angled back and 45 degrees to lock into the barrel nut. As you torque the screws the rail itself "yaws" about the horizontal barrel axes. It looks cool and is very light, but is a niche product IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd watch the rail board on m4c for as long as it takes until a Geissele rail pops up, but that's just me.

My next build will be the Radian AR 762.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can’t wait to see a radian 308!

I have the Xanthos rail too. The mount is weird but I must admit it’s solid. I’ve carried it all over the woods in hunting seasons without issue. Every once in a while they offer blems for $99.

If you want a new Xanthos 2a upper with blem rail, I’ll sell it to you at my cost. I have an extra set.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didnt think there was a size difference as it fits over the barrel nut. Rail height is another matter, so there ya go. Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The barrel nut is proprietary to the rails on .308’s and vary based on the platform. AR-10 (Armalite & Noveske) barrel nuts are 1 7/16-18 thread and DPMS (SR-25) are 1 7/16-16 thread. Definitely not interchangeable with AR-15’s that are 1 1/4-18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quick pic from last nite, crappy quality..but I just got a new phone finally..been rocking a cracked I5 for ...um..years

Anyways...brownells/toolcraft/ looks identical to the Aero bcg’s....will see I guess thru them being on sale and codes along with AJ this was right at a $100 shipped, staked well and everything looks good..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Get the Seekins (fixed it) adj gas block. It's cheap, relative to others and it works. Save the money you'd spend on that gamble because 9 out of ten, you'll need it.
    This. I messed around and messed around before I just bit the bullet and got an adjustable gas block.
    Last edited by Pyzik; 27 March 2019 at 05:14.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gas blocks = failure prone band aids for improperly set up buffer systems. Even worse on large pattern AR’s for slowly clogging and causing malfunctions.