Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First 308 build

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite carbine stock for shooting from the bench without adding a lot of weight is the Magpul STR. Great check weld like a SOPMOD, but works very well with a rear sandbag. Primary has them on sale for $58, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Package from Armalite, their 308 buffer kit
    -A5 length Mil-Spec tube, H3 buffer and their 308 sprin, nut and Ambi plate (which I’m not using)

Threads in nice and tight into lower, stock fits tight , for $60 shipped , it’s a good value I feel, time will tell though.

Note to self, these frickin hexmags were so tight, like not going in. So took some sandpaper to them to make them useable. Good thing I only got 2, need some more pmags.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update #2

Swapped in the H2 from my other lower into this.

-put 2 rounds of federal 308 165gr. Nosler, fired both and locked back the bolt.
    But wow, definitely way more recoil everywhere, brass to about the 1 o’clock position.

- loaded up 2 LC 147gr xm80 Ambi, fired both no problems and locked the bolt back. Felt a little less brutal then the 308. Brass about the 4 o’clock.

- then thru in 2 Wolf 150gr FMJ-BT, fired one, no lock back..then chambered another, no fire. Primer was dented pretty good from firing pin, tried it again. Click. Thru that one away.

-Loaded 2 more wolf 308rds. Fired them both and locked the bolt. Brass about 4-5 o’clock , did it one more time, again locked back , same spot for brass.

So, I don’t like the recoil impulse with the H2, but right now it won’t work with the wolf , with the H3.

Sorta sounds on the low end for gas. No adjustable block, but really don’t want one. I like my guns to run on anything I feed them.

One thing I’ve noticed is, when pulling on the CH to pull big back, it seems to be really tight coming out of the lugs. Seems like more force is needed then what should be...or this first ar10, is really a learning curve when piercing one together per say.

I thought about trying a tubbs flat wire , from the get go, but just went with the Armalite kit.

Any info , or ideas would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    run it for a few hundred rounds and let it break in. Sounds like it's fine. Doesn't this have a Rainier Match barrel? If so, please stop feeding it Wolf. It deserves better.

I've generally formed the opinion that you need to decide if you want a .308 or a 7.62x51. You've got a .308 build, so tune it for commercial .308 (which sounds like you should put the H3 back in) and stop trying to feed it cheap milsurp ammo. As your post attests to, the difference is very noticeable in a gas gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not really noticed recoil from mine, using standard Aero carbine kit. It's far closer to a 5.56 than a .243 in terms of kick.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with Boiler. This is an UltraMatch barrel, don't feed it wolf. Put the H3 back in and shoot the 308, not the crappy 7.62x51. This barrel has a break in period.

Also if the wolf seems to be undergassed, an adjustable won't help that, but I'm sure you knew that.

I'll have to look at my stash, but if I'm just plinking with my UM barrels, I'll shoot the bulk Federal or Winchester 308 ammo, no wolf.

BUT... I'm glad you got this together.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now you know why I said carbine buffer systems suck on .308’s. No happy medium possible. Any ammo I’ve shot either suppressed or a just brake functions in ALL my large pattern AR’s with a rifle length buffer system. The one I have with a carbine system is a pain in the ass. Either feels like it’s beating itself apart or it fails to feed correctly. Adjustable gas blocks do nothing to help unless you readjust for every ammo change.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, I sure am glad I have fun shooting guns.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I’ll update the list, but scavenged off my other AR and swapped stuff around.. pretty happy with it.

Ended up with an A2 for now.. Hoping later this year I can put down $$ for a can. So will wait for whatever mount accompanies whatever’s can

Question though...I know brakes are loud AF, how good are they for the 308’s??
    I put an older PWS FSC on a PTR91 and it made a huge difference in felt recoil. But you don't want to stand next to it. Behind it isn't so bad. I've got a Griffin Brake my .308 and accidently shot it w/o ear pro. That hurt. Can't speak to its recoil reduction because I never shot that rifle w/o the brake or a can. I like the brake as a sacrificial baffle, too. And I was never good at making friends at the range, anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You inspired me to finish my Aero 6.5... taking it to the range next week. 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel.

Name:  5S3A8132.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  150.5 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done! Great looking rifle. Glad I'm not the only one that puts "ladders" on the top rail
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ever plan on getting a can? If so, get one that doubles as a suppressor mount from the company you like the cans from.

Otherwise try this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...d-ar-10-lr-308

Downloads
    Uploads
    VG6 on mine, was put on from day one so dont know how much louder it got but its loud lol but it also has very little recoil...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Yes on the can, was recently saving all my AJ/Ebates for a can..well life and kid graduating kinda ate all extra funds. So..

I do want at least one 762 can along with a 556 and 22 suppressor..

No $50 minis around here....lol
    Put the kid to work since he graduated and take his paychecks. LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    VG6 on mine, was put on from day one so dont know how much louder it got but its loud lol but it also has very little recoil...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I like the VG6, in face if you don't do the Epsilon/Gamma, you could do the Lambda.

Lantac Dragon also an option.