Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First 308 build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    run it for a few hundred rounds and let it break in. Sounds like it's fine. Doesn't this have a Rainier Match barrel? If so, please stop feeding it Wolf. It deserves better.

I've generally formed the opinion that you need to decide if you want a .308 or a 7.62x51. You've got a .308 build, so tune it for commercial .308 (which sounds like you should put the H3 back in) and stop trying to feed it cheap milsurp ammo. As your post attests to, the difference is very noticeable in a gas gun.
    Lol..ya ya
    Have a couple hundred rds of Wolf so wanted to see.

Cleaned it all up, checked gas block, it was centered perfect. Remeasured gas port. .082.. Seems on the small side. As I can see why the wolf struggle with the H3 ( that is back in).

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I've not really noticed recoil from mine, using standard Aero carbine kit. It's far closer to a 5.56 than a .243 in terms of kick.
    Your using the std. 3.8 oz or whatever buffer with the std ar15 tube?
    Gotta be snappy, as I could definitely feel the change from the h3 to the h2.. seemed a lot more..
    idk, Iím also only using a A2 right now. Iím sure a brake would help.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I agree with Boiler. This is an UltraMatch barrel, don't feed it wolf. Put the H3 back in and shoot the 308, not the crappy 7.62x51. This barrel has a break in period.

Also if the wolf seems to be undergassed, an adjustable won't help that, but I'm sure you knew that.

I'll have to look at my stash, but if I'm just plinking with my UM barrels, I'll shoot the bulk Federal or Winchester 308 ammo, no wolf.

BUT... I'm glad you got this together.
    Ya no adjustable gas block is gonna be needed anytime soon it seems, gas port on the small side.

No more wolf...ya ya...lol

I need to get some more good 308 ammo, only got a couple boxes and a can of lc Nato stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Now you know why I said carbine buffer systems suck on .308ís. No happy medium possible. Any ammo Iíve shot either suppressed or a just brake functions in ALL my large pattern ARís with a rifle length buffer system. The one I have with a carbine system is a pain in the ass. Either feels like itís beating itself apart or it fails to feed correctly. Adjustable gas blocks do nothing to help unless you readjust for every ammo change.
    Iím starting to see it...lol..the title of the thread is first big boy ar..lol..

No suppressor here or I would need a adj block it seems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Crap , thought I uploaded a pic last time..here it is together minus scope for a quick function

It got heavy quick..unofficial bathroom scale puts it at around 9.5 lbs as is unloaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ll update the list, but scavenged off my other AR and swapped stuff around.. pretty happy with it.

Ended up with an A2 for now.. Hoping later this year I can put down $$ for a can. So will wait for whatever mount accompanies whatever’s can

Question though...I know brakes are loud AF, how good are they for the 308’s??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Iíll update the list, but scavenged off my other AR and swapped stuff around.. pretty happy with it.

Ended up with an A2 for now.. Hoping later this year I can put down $$ for a can. So will wait for whatever mount accompanies whateverís can

Question though...I know brakes are loud AF, how good are they for the 308ís??
    I put an older PWS FSC on a PTR91 and it made a huge difference in felt recoil. But you don't want to stand next to it. Behind it isn't so bad. I've got a Griffin Brake my .308 and accidently shot it w/o ear pro. That hurt. Can't speak to its recoil reduction because I never shot that rifle w/o the brake or a can. I like the brake as a sacrificial baffle, too. And I was never good at making friends at the range, anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You inspired me to finish my Aero 6.5... taking it to the range next week. 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel.

Name:  5S3A8132.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  150.5 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya I went thru that phase on 556, but there not needed imo. But these bigger calibers I can see where a brake might be worth it..

Ya and the local’ish range has plywood between stalls, and man does it bounce off there good..Like feel it every shot..got annoying..lol

UW- good looking rifle. Man those bipods look chunky

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ready for the range.
    Need a bipod and itíll be good for now, I have some magpul covers for it for now. Rifle weighs in at 11 pounds as seen not loaded. It fit a little heavier then I wanted. But weight comes with these bigger builds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nicely done! Great looking rifle. Glad I'm not the only one that puts "ladders" on the top rail
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya I threw some cheap ones on for the time being.. Most times it doesn’t bug me, but this rail does.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Back to this, as lifeís been busy.Went up to the hills the other day to hide from the heat

Rifle ran flawless feeding it some 1762/149gr LC and Norma 308/150gr fmj stuff

Loaded 5 in each mag and locked bolt back everytime, ejected to 4 oclockish and no hiccups

I can see that Iím gonna want to try and tame it down some in the future.Itís not bad, but Iíd like to calm it down some, so maybe I can see my impacts and such

So whatís a good, not the loudest brake setup to use?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ever plan on getting a can? If so, get one that doubles as a suppressor mount from the company you like the cans from.

Otherwise try this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...d-ar-10-lr-308

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes on the can, was recently saving all my AJ/Ebates for a can..well life and kid graduating kinda ate all extra funds. So..

I do want at least one 762 can along with a 556 and 22 suppressor..

No $50 minis around here....lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    VG6 on mine, was put on from day one so dont know how much louder it got but its loud lol but it also has very little recoil...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Yes on the can, was recently saving all my AJ/Ebates for a can..well life and kid graduating kinda ate all extra funds. So..

I do want at least one 762 can along with a 556 and 22 suppressor..

No $50 minis around here....lol
    Put the kid to work since he graduated and take his paychecks. LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1976 View Post
    VG6 on mine, was put on from day one so dont know how much louder it got but its loud lol but it also has very little recoil...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I like the VG6, in face if you don't do the Epsilon/Gamma, you could do the Lambda.

Lantac Dragon also an option.