Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ear Pro Recommendations

Please recommend me some good ear pro, preferably very low profile. I have several sets of electronic muffs but they are really 'thick' and when I get down into a prone position they are always getting in the way. I also think the more low profile they are the less likely they are to be knocked off or whatever in a variety of situations.

Please provide pictures and/or links if you can. Good and low profile are the primary concern. Price is down the list a bit.

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Walker's electronic ear plugs piqued my interest. I haven't tried them myself but others seem to like them. One big caveat is short battery life.

Flare Isolates look interesting also, but again I haven't tried them.
    Last edited by PJD642; 26 March 2019 at 17:45.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...r=8-1-fkmrnull

A box will last several years. I have been using these on job sites and for shooting for a long time. Its easy to always have a set in your pocket, rifle bag, glove box, plate carrier, chest rig etc,etc. I have always looked at earpro as bulky and intrusive. Fight light.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Surefire Sonic Defenders work well. It might take some trial and error to figure out which fit best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    These seem to be going really cheaply recently...

Name:  3M-Combat-Arms-Earplugs-Lawsuit-Two-Combat-Arms-Earplugs-1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  40.9 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    These: https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...r=8-1-fkmrnull

A box will last several years. I have been using these on job sites and for shooting for a long time. Its easy to always have a set in your pocket, rifle bag, glove box, plate carrier, chest rig etc,etc. I have always looked at earpro as bulky and intrusive. Fight light.
    LOL! I like your style. I have boxes of them, but in orange. If I ever double up though or if I can find a good set of slim electronic muffs I would probably give em a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a set of Walkers and a set of Pro-Ears Pro-Tac’s. Neither are acceptable for use alone on a unsupressed rifle. I use foam plugs and the Pro-Ears with the volume up. I can still hear conversations with the Pro-Tac electronic muffs over the foam ear plugs but the Walkers volume isn’t enough to hear anything with the foam plugs in. Suppressed by myself I just use foam plugs buried in my ears. At the range or with multiple people shooting I use both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and Peltor Comtac III are the old standbys for active ear pro muffs. I've recently switched to the new Safariland TCI Liberator HPs (my Sordins were getting old and ratty, after 9 years of use), and am quite happy with them, after the rolling update; the pre-update HPs were less than stellar. The update went into effect earlier this month.

I do double up regardless, with SureFire EP4s, replacing the triple flange tips with Shure olives.

If you don't care to double up, the 3M TEP-100s might be worth a look.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a set of Westone molded earplugs. Went to an audiologist to have the mold made. They work great by themselves and don't interfere with eye pro. When they guy next to me has a brake on his 300 win mag, I put a pair of my older Peltors over them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spend the money and buy yourself some MSA Sordin Supreme-X's and then get upgraded Gel's from noisefighters.

This is the best setup I"ve used (and will continue to use) since I started shooting.

Indoors I supplement with surefire in-ear pro.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X and Peltor Comtac III are the old standbys for active ear pro muffs. I've recently switched to the new Safariland TCI Liberator HPs (my Sordins were getting old and ratty, after 9 years of use), and am quite happy with them, after the rolling update; the pre-update HPs were less than stellar. The update went into effect earlier this month.
    Those Safarilands look interesting. I've found with the current gen of MSA X's, the robustness isn't the same and it didn't take long before my current set shorts out during rifle recoil. Not a huge deal. but annoying. I read the copy on the Safariland site, but what do these do that the MSA's don't? Or are they on par at a lower price point? Yes, I'll do some googling, just curious to hear your thoughts as a user.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Those Safarilands look interesting. I've found with the current gen of MSA X's, the robustness isn't the same and it didn't take long before my current set shorts out during rifle recoil. Not a huge deal. but annoying. I read the copy on the Safariland site, but what do these do that the MSA's don't? Or are they on par at a lower price point? Yes, I'll do some googling, just curious to hear your thoughts as a user.
    From another site:
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3
    So, I had purchased a set of Liberator HPs with the universal attachment kit back in December. I promptly broke one of the helmet mounts (there were no instructions included for them), and noticed the left side cutting out at times. I sent them back in for repair in January, where TCI held on to them for over a month; unfortunately, they did not reach out to me about the repair after the initial assessment (apparently there was a broken wire somewhere), as there was a miscommunication between the repair team and CS. Lucy over at TCI did have my stuff shipped overnight when it was finished, though, to try and get my HPs back to me ASAP.

It turns out that they were holding on to my HPs because they were putting in new hardware and software. Playing with the new ones today, the audio is much better than previously; I was rather disappointed by the audio quality when I initially received them. Currently, the audio is actually quite good in the normal mode (audio amplification without noise cancelling), sounds quite natural; it's not quite as loud as my MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X, but there's also no white noise like the MSAs have (although my MSAs are almost a decade old), and doesn't sound as flat overall. With noise cancelling and audio amplification, it's definitely less natural, and rather flat, more so than the MSAs, though the MSAs still have the issue of white noise.
    My primary goal with the Liberator HPs was to easily move from the headband to the helmet, which for most people I don't think I'd an issue. Other than that, I do think the sound quality of the updated HPs to be superior to the Supreme X. The price difference is still in the Supreme X's favor, though, even after factoring in the need to buy ear gel cups. I don't think the Liberator HPs are a clear winner unless you can get the updated version at the old price point, though you can send in an old version to be updated for free.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Appreciate the reply. I had an older set of MSAs (#72400) that were fantastic until the audio amplification died/went intermittent) and I got some Supreme Xs (ironic, since my Xs started having issues pretty quickly). But when I switched, I noticed the audio was NOTICEABLY worse than the older MSAs. I know no one will get the reference, but it's the same way that the audio out of a Gentex helmet was better than another, but different, Gentex helmet.

Audio isn't a show-stopper for my use, but interesting to hear. And I'm totally onboard with a gel upgrade, regardless of the headset (or application).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PJD642 View Post
    These seem to be going really cheaply recently...

Name:  3M-Combat-Arms-Earplugs-Lawsuit-Two-Combat-Arms-Earplugs-1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  40.9 KB
    Thought these looked familiar. Lawsuit commercial on TV. https://www.classlawgroup.com/3m-def...rplug-lawsuit/
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Liberator II's at work... like some have already said, MSA Sordin's are one of the best.