Thread: Glock 31

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Glock 31

Watched a bunch of videos and read a ton of articles on the 31. I had been considering the G20sf for some time now as a carry out on my land but the more I researched it the more I new it wasn't for me.
    I don't need a pocket cannon but looking at the ballistics of the .357 it definitely caught my eye. I have a few bear dens and the wolves have made a few deer kills at my place so when I am out in the thick stuff I need to up my game a little bit. Just don't have full confidence in the 9mm or 45. As of late there seems to be a great selection of ammo for it now and the prices are just a tad higher than 9mm. The one video I watched was a comparison of a 9mm and the sig .357 and its an impressive round. Im looking for some first hand feedback, is anybody running the 31 or 32? TIA.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that I'm retired and working part time where I can carry what I supply rather than an issued pistol, I'm running a G22 with a Storm Lake .357 barrel, so that's a 31, right? lol. Using it with Speer GD 125-grain. Prior I'd been using a G17 with Speer GD +P 124-grain rounds, so almost identical although the .357 is about 100 FPS faster.

The .357 seems to shoot slightly flatter, makes a sharper "crack" when fired, and I obviously have two fewer rounds in the mags. It also seems to be pretty accurate and the recoil isn't any worse in my mind than the .40 I carried for a couple of years - slightly more than a 9mm but nothing to worry about. I like to think I'm not beating the gun as much as I did with the +P 9mm, but that could all be in my head. WHY am I carrying the .357? I like the concept and it simulates the 125-grain .357 mag rounds that had the "best one shot stopping power" according to Marshall et al back when I was growing up. There's an updated list of one shot stops HERE. Of course, those are one shot stops, not multiples on target, and we all know shot placement is more important than calibre, etc.

Depending on how things go, I might conduct my own testing with ballistic gelatin this summer and compare a few rounds. (Did I mention I'm retired now and have FREE TIME??) My only real world experience with it has been dispatching two deer that were struck by cars, and it worked fine. I didn't recover the fired rounds, although I may start asking for them from whomever pick up the deer. Of course, the 9mm I used to carry worked just fine for the same task. Again, bullet placement is key.

TL;DR version - I think it's got slightly better terminal performance than a 9mm +P, .40 or .45, and I'm comfortable with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just curious Stone, why the 20SF didn’t work out for you?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ll admit the 357 sig does have some good numbers. I’ve always been intrigued of the supped up 9mm cartridges per say

Not first hand feedback, but Id say go for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The worst part about .357SIG and 10MM is the ammo sold generally sucks. You have to buy the overpriced small lot ammo from Underwood or Buffalo Bore to see significant gains. Most 10MM barely exceeds the .40 when you start really looking at the numbers. A good performing .40 round is right with the mass produced 10MM when comparing the same barrel length. The 1”+ longer barrel on the 20 really boosts the #’s.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info guys.

UW: I couldn't find the SF locally, everybody only had the standard so I was never able to actually put one in my hand. Reviews are split 50/50 on the 10mm, some love it some don't like it. I want something I can train and shoot with on a regular basis. I heard the recoil is a little rough so if it doesn't fit my hand re-gripping after each shot just plain sucks. I suppose if someone I knew had one and I could run a few boxes down the pipe I would have a better idea but I dont.

Sinner: Thats what I was hearing online so I looked around at ammo availability for the .357 and the offerings are surprisingly pretty good. I only buy by the case so the HST's and gold dots are right on par with the 9mm offerings. FMJ training stuff is a little more though.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the Gold dots and HST's (125g) are running just under 1400fps. Thats a nice bump up from the 1060fps my usual carry Bonded 9mm 135 Grain +P Hollow Points are doing...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Looks like the Gold dots and HST's (125g) are running just under 1400fps. Thats a nice bump up from the 1060fps my usual carry Bonded 9mm 135 Grain +P Hollow Points are doing...
    Wow...just under 1400 FPS from a 125gr bullet.

That packs a helluva punch. How’s the recoil on such I wonder.. Never shot a 357 sig or hot 10mm of that speed..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Wow...just under 1400 FPS from a 125gr bullet.

That packs a helluva punch. How’s the recoil on such I wonder.. Never shot a 357 sig or hot 10mm of that speed..
    The .357 Sig shoots similar to a .40 S&W.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now this is really interesting...
    https://eu.glock.com/en/products/pistols/g31-c-gen4