Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Customizable Pistol Discussion (not just Glock)

I have never been a Glock fanboy... nothing against them but nothing really attracts me to them either. The only thing really attracting me to Glock is the support for it. You can get a Glock mag anywhere and more importantly there are a gazillion mods you can make. The 'pimp Glock' is the main thing that would even remotely attract me to Glock.

That said I would think Glock is the #1 (by far) customizable pistols out there.

Recently though I discovered this guy.... Tactical Toolbox... I watched this video and he brought up some good stuff to discuss that could run off into 100 rabbit holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fd6R8UPAwg

According to him an M&P 2.0 is another highly customizable pistol (other than Glock).

And another one that he mentions is a CZ P10C.

It is also worth noting that I found I place that sells crazy good aftermarket triggers for Sig pistols too.

I am by no means an expert but that seems to be the pecking order of after market support.... Glock, M&P, CZ, and marginally Sig.

Specifically I am interested more in triggers than anything (for now). Barrels are important too but to a lesser degree. I would like to drop in a barrel for say carry and then be able to drop in a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed if I want.

Basically what can we come up with in terms of highly customizable pistols (with the trigger at the forefront)? It doesn't have to be on my list...I don't know much...so add as needed.

I replaced the trigger in my 226 and it's like a totally different gun. That said it would be kind of nice to start on a project pistol... starting with triggers, but after that--- what are the ones you would recommend for being able to have a customizable gun?

Note: Right now I don't own a striker fired gun anymore. All are hammer fired. I just have a thing for it. But if I can get a nice trigger and some after market support I would be all over it. Several CZ pistols have my eye...

I would also be curious to know what kind of cash you guys put into a your customizations of your pistols? (Carry or otherwise).

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW I have no idea about the numbering systems, specifically about Glocks. If you talk Glock this part will lose me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what are you asking exactly.....

I don’t really like glocks either...lol..there bulky in there own way and the grip just bugs me more and more. especially after getting a m&p again after getting rid of one I had years ago.

The triggers in the Glock really aren’t that great , no matter what you do. Yes you can make them better.

But as you say , the support is huge. And they just flat fucking work. I daily a g19, it was by choice but I do want something else. Another thread.

But as far as striker fired guns , besides the m&p , the cz p10c factory trigger is so much better then any I’ve ever felt. The Ergos are good, the texture is aggressive but not too bad. Mag release is different to get use to.

As far as sigs, never owned one. Just not my thing I guess, don’t like the triggers. There overpriced in my opinion, unless we’re talking a nice German piece.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    So what are you asking exactly.....
    What are my choices for customizable guns (other than Glock)?

One sentence answer...LOL! It's my record.

---

Glock has everyone and his brother making parts for it, but I am not that attracted to Glock (but could be persuaded otherwise). Included in that the numbering system of Glocks---I don't have a clue about that. 17,19, 43... and about fourteen other number designations kinds of turns me off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    M&P's, Sigs, CZ's, lots of mods for those. FN 509's are getting some love too. If it's a platform a lot of people buy, there will be mods for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other then Glock

M&P’s don’t quite have the following/support but with the new 2.0’s, there hard to beat. Triggers out of the box absolutely suck and a Apex makes for a awesome trigger for a striker fire.

Not much support at all but growing is the CZ’s, never really been a big fan until I fondled a couple p10c’s.

It will be my next striker fired gun. Mags are expensive and there’s a few trigger options to make it even better..

You should pick one up next time your at the local gun shop..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh and instead of writing it out, here’s s somewhat up to date Glock breakdown
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to toss 1911 into the "customizable Pistol" category since I think you are asking about user custom work, but ...

Decades ago, I assembled one from scratch to learn the platform. I learned there are limits a "home-hack" like me can do; springs,trigger, sights (if they fit the original cuts), external parts like the safety and slide release. Minor fitting isn't too difficult on small parts. Real custom work on the frame and slide tend to take a professional gunsmith, or equipment I can't afford, and don't have the talent to use. You can add drop-in barrels for comps and cans too. So, with all that taken into consideration, it sort of fits your question.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing I'll add for Custom Glocks... the frames vs any other gun is the most readily available. There are tons of OEM frames, 80% frames, aftermarket frames. Not so much when you look at others.... and can be had on the cheap if you look hard. At one point I was able to get 17/19 frames for $50 each.

In fact, when I bought a Faxon Hellfire Slide for an M&P9, I scoured the web for a M&P frame. Could not find one anywhere except on gunbroker and a few other auction sites. Average price $250 for a complete frame. What I ended up having to do was buy a complete M&P40 from AIM Surplus for $250. Got the entire gun for $250, stripped off the frame, and am now contemplating selling the slide.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Other then Glock

M&P’s don’t quite have the following/support but with the new 2.0’s, there hard to beat. Triggers out of the box absolutely suck and a Apex makes for a awesome trigger for a striker fire.

Not much support at all but growing is the CZ’s, never really been a big fan until I fondled a couple p10c’s.

It will be my next striker fired gun. Mags are expensive and there’s a few trigger options to make it even better..

You should pick one up next time your at the local gun shop..
    That CZ looks pretty good. That's one that I'm eyeballing. I've never been huge on striker fired pistols. I've always been attracted to things that are metal and hammer fired.

That said I have this thing where I want to expand out into other day to day guns.

I bought a kahr once and never again. Loved the gun but hated the trigger so bad.

I'm thinking I should try more options. I've owned a few striker pistols but they never grew on me, mainly because of the triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    I hate to toss 1911 into the "customizable Pistol" category since I think you are asking about user custom work, but ...

Decades ago, I assembled one from scratch to learn the platform. I learned there are limits a "home-hack" like me can do; springs,trigger, sights (if they fit the original cuts), external parts like the safety and slide release. Minor fitting isn't too difficult on small parts. Real custom work on the frame and slide tend to take a professional gunsmith, or equipment I can't afford, and don't have the talent to use. You can add drop-in barrels for comps and cans too. So, with all that taken into consideration, it sort of fits your question.
    OMG man, what are you trying to do? Make me go broke? LOL!

I'm a huge fan of fine weapons. STI, Volquartsen, nice 1911s, etc.

There is something about metal guns that you just never get with plastic.

I could spend a lot of money on really nice pistols of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    One thing I'll add for Custom Glocks... the frames vs any other gun is the most readily available. There are tons of OEM frames, 80% frames, aftermarket frames. Not so much when you look at others.... and can be had on the cheap if you look hard. At one point I was able to get 17/19 frames for $50 each.

In fact, when I bought a Faxon Hellfire Slide for an M&P9, I scoured the web for a M&P frame. Could not find one anywhere except on gunbroker and a few other auction sites. Average price $250 for a complete frame. What I ended up having to do was buy a complete M&P40 from AIM Surplus for $250. Got the entire gun for $250, stripped off the frame, and am now contemplating selling the slide.
    That's the thing about Glock. You can buy the frame and just build what you want.

Although the grip on a Glock is about as nice as a 2x4 that kind of ground up customization is very nice.

Being real though since I'm thinking about giving striker firing another go I might just try it out incrementally.

A nice trigger is the most valuable thing in my opinion and the rest is just nice to have.

I could be wrong about that all together.

It would be nice to go somewhere to try before I buy but no telling if that's going to happen.

In the end I'm stuck between Jerry's champagne world and the idea of a pimped out plastic gun with a nice trigger.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 13 April 2019 at 22:33.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HK VP9 may be something to look at as well. It's got a pretty good trigger to begin with, and the grip is modular from the factory. There are quite a few options for triggers, sights, and other aftermarket parts available. HK is even getting in on the action with barrels and slides. Plus you now have a choice between a paddle or button magazine release.

All that said, my VP9 is bone stock except for the sights. One of my USP9s, however, has had some work done and is one of my favorite pistols to shoot.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    This has promise. Hoping to see more like it.

Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame

Not a fan of beavertails. That curly-queue thing is a horrid mistake. Otherwise, it's a pretty sweet looking pistol.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    The HK VP9 may be something to look at as well. It's got a pretty good trigger to begin with, and the grip is modular from the factory. There are quite a few options for triggers, sights, and other aftermarket parts available. HK is even getting in on the action with barrels and slides. Plus you now have a choice between a paddle or button magazine release.

All that said, my VP9 is bone stock except for the sights. One of my USP9s, however, has had some work done and is one of my favorite pistols to shoot.
    I am going to make a drive up to a gun store and start looking around. I will add that to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    This has promise. Hoping to see more like it.

Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame

Not a fan of beavertails. That curly-queue thing is a horrid mistake. Otherwise, it's a pretty sweet looking pistol.
    I have a whole list of metal framed guns that I want. There is no shortage in that area. Maybe I didn't say it before but [just one] of the reasons I even asked this question is because I am looking at giving striker fired pistols a second chance. I've owned a few of them and they just never grew on me. That said if I could customize it just enough to replace the trigger and maybe have a after market threaded barrel so it could be a suppressor host that would be good.

I see the value in striker fired guns for carry but metal competition style or just 'finely worked' guns are just fun to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're in luck. The Q5 is a striker-fired pistol.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a little Sig 238 that I might trade off for something. I will go shopping to see "if" and "for what"....