Downloads
    Uploads

So Proud of my Daughter

I just wanted to post here that I am so proud of my 9 year old daughter. She is currently training for a 5k next month and has already been able to run 5k plus at practice.

The side effect of this is that since she is only 9 years old she can not register by herself, so by default I have to run this with her. This 40 year old out of shape dude, has been slowly working himself back into it and I was able to get 2.5 miles in today. I only got 4 more weeks to get ready, so wish me luck. Right now it looks like my 9 year old is going to kick my ass!

Anyway, this is good for me as I have been fighting against newly diagnosed diabetes for the past 3 years. The exercise is doing me a lot of good, and should get me into better shooting shape. If I ever get into a defensive situation, conditioning is always a good thing.

But yeah, props to my little girl Analise for whipping this old man into shape!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Big daddy cred right there. Hope to see her finish line grin. And your finish grimace as well.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good for you man!

I remember back in the day when a 10 mile run or such was nothing, now...lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being willing to work and train with her is great parenting! Hope to see some photos later in the thread.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got 3 miles in this morning and my daughter got 3 miles in after school. She is still faster.

At least I have the distance, but want to be conditioned for 4 miles to run 3. Then I can work on my speed.

I remember back in college I played D1 Lacrosse and practice started with a 6 mile run, LOL.

And back in high school I ran cross country and put down a 12 mile run once. I have the mindset to be able to do it...my body just has to catch up!

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a general rule of thumb, if you can run "X" distance every day, you should be able to run 2 to 3 times that distance once. Most marathoners only run 10 or so miles a day, with an occasional full 26 miler every so often.

In the 70's and more so in the 80's, I was a devout runner. That and in part of my duties in the military are the major factors in my knee problems and surgeries in the 90's and since. I've seen so much that in former runners I feel they should teach children in elementary school there are consequences to long distance running, and better alternatives for cardio type exercises. A few miles a week is enough.

I don't want to be the one that sounds like the A$$hole here, but I would discourage her from making marathons and training for them a regular part of her life.

All that aside, you should be proud of her for putting in all of that work and discipline, which today's kids seem to be sadly lacking of, and your effort to jump into you running shoes and get out there with here. Try not to let her kick your butt too bad. Good luck!

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 24 April 2019 at 15:00.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya I remember playing soccer on a premier league.

Warmup was 5 miles....lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    UPDATE: 5K is on Saturday. I was just able to put in 3.4 miles so I am good on distance...

Problem is that my daughter put in 4 miles after school...then ran that same 3.4 miles with me and kicked my ass.

This shall be fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    UPDATE: 5K is on Saturday. I was just able to put in 3.4 miles so I am good on distance...

Problem is that my daughter put in 4 miles after school...then ran that same 3.4 miles with me and kicked my ass.

This shall be fun.
    Load up on carbs. Eat as much pasta as you can stomach for a couple of days prior to the race. Loading up on carbs like that will release sugars and energy to the muscles. This is an old but very much still relevant tactic. Hell, I knew guy's that would drink a case or more of beer, a couple of days before the marathon, so the carbs could release compound sugars into the muscle fibers, and rest of the body. Obviously, your little girl can't drink beer, and don't do it the night before, obviously, but at about the 10 mile marker, you will definitely feel the sugar fueled burst of power come in.

Great to see you taking care of your little girl like that. Just don't let her over do it. She's still small and fragile at her age, no matter what her accomplishments have been. Celebrate hard!
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Load up on carbs. Eat as much pasta as you can stomach for a couple of days prior to the race. Loading up on carbs like that will release sugars and energy to the muscles. This is an old but very much still relevant tactic. Hell, I knew guy's that would drink a case or more of beer, a couple of days before the marathon, so the carbs could release compound sugars into the muscle fibers, and rest of the body. Obviously, your little girl can't drink beer, and don't do it the night before, obviously, but at about the 10 mile marker, you will definitely feel the sugar fueled burst of power come in.

Great to see you taking care of your little girl like that. Just don't let her over do it. She's still small and fragile at her age, no matter what her accomplishments have been. Celebrate hard!
    Thats all great...but I am also diabetic.