Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

To crimp, or not to crimp? Reloading 223 ammo for AR15's.

To crimp, or not to crimp, that is the question.

I just started loading my own 223 tonight and it is intended for use with my semi-auto AR rifles. I have 100 rounds ready to go. I have not crimped any of them.

Is crimping my 223 really necessary?

I've been loading 224 Valkyrie and 308 for a few months now and have sent hundreds of these rounds down range successfully without any crimping. If it works for the 224 Valkyrie and 308 in semi-auto rifles, why wouldn't I achieve the same results with my non crimped 223?

What philosophy do you subscribe to and why?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read into everything when I first started also, bullet setback, pressures etc..btw you should check some of your loads after clambering a few times. Just to know what your loads are doing.

If it has a cannelure , I’m putting a Crimp on it. How much. You will have to test for your rifles.

To me after testing I would put a small crimp on all my 55/62 gr range fodder/556 loads.

My more precision like rds I did not usually. Although I did with some Nosler 77’s that had no cannelure.

Of course I’m talking ARs, no way would I on a bolt gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a "light to medium" crimp using a Lee Factory Crimp Die on pretty much everything for a semi-auto. Haven't done any real accuracy testing with and without to see how much difference it makes, though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a very light to light crimper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don’t crimp anything rifle.

Neck tension does enough for me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I don’t crimp anything rifle.

Neck tension does enough for me

I use to play that game, but in a semi auto I want a slight crimp. As I set some brass aside a while ago, and after about the 5-7 firings the neck tension wasn’t enough.. that’s when annealing comes into play

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I use to play that game, but in a semi auto I want a slight crimp. As I set some brass aside a while ago, and after about the 5-7 firings the neck tension wasn’t enough.. that’s when annealing comes into play
    I’ve been loading for my ARs for about 8 years now. Can’t say it’ll never be an issue but so far...no.

With the 224 Valkyrie brass I have been using, I really wanted to test the limits of it. At about six firings, I started getting some split necks. Now at 9 firings, this Federal brass that has survived is running into the primer pockets wearing out. I’ll probablg fire it once more and cull them all afterwards.

I DO want to anneal my 224 brass, simply to keep all of the case necks in good shape so the weak point will be the primer pockets.

223 I haven’t had an issue with, but after 3-5 firings of the LC brass I use (depends on overall condition), it gets relegated to “blasting ammo” status. I guess the factory annealing keeps it going strong long enough for me to get what I want out of it, but even after many more loadings with 55gr FMJ....no crimp, no problem

Downloads
    Uploads
    X2 in the Lee factory crimp.

Load some with no crimp, a light crimp and a heavier one..

Rack some in and out the chamber.. You obviously want no bullet setback.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bullet type will matter, too. I loaded some Nosler 64gr bonded a while back which have an exposed lead flat nose and even with a light crimp I had a few that were the last round in the mag get pushed back into the case and jam on me when they hit the feed ramp. Not sure if it is a mag issue but need to increase my crimp for those bullets nonetheless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, different profiles will need a crimp at times.

Just takes some screwing around to figure it out

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by old11bravo View Post
    To crimp, or not to crimp, that is the question.

I just started loading my own 223 tonight and it is intended for use with my semi-auto AR rifles. I have 100 rounds ready to go. I have not crimped any of them.

Is crimping my 223 really necessary?

Crimping match-grade bullets can degrade their accuracy/precision. The grahpic below is based on the average extreme spread of three 10-shot groups fired in a row from one of my precision AR-15s (for each of the circles represented in the graphic.)

Last edited by Molon; 22 March 2020 at 10:09.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info. Thanks, Molon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope Molon is significantly younger than me so I can die before his posts cease.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode