Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Drop-in" Free Float Rail Options

I'm looking to replace a 12" ReV Gen 1 rail with something that's a little more consistent with all of the other rails I shoot. That basically boils down to quad rails, but even if I go into this looking for non-quad rails, my other requirement is that the new rail be able to mount on a normal GI barrel nut. I'm trying to keep cost down, but the available options seem to be limited. I've come up with the following options:

C4 rail (which I love)
    MI 2-piece FF rail
    MI 2-piece FF rail MLOK

And that's about it. I already have a 12" C4 rail that's awesome, but I'd like to keep it where it is. A new C4 rail is pretty pricey and more than I'd like to spend right now, in a perfect world. The quad MI rail is about the same weight as the C4 for significantly less, but still nearly $200. The MLOK version is much lighter, and a little cheaper, but I also would need to find a MLOK handstop, so the price would probably be more than the quad rail version at the end of the day.

Any other rails I'm missing? I doubt I could get much for my ReV rail right now, so I'm not counting on any cost off-set by selling it. I thought I was going to be able to kill this rifle, but it continues to soldier on despite disrespect, neglect, and corrosive ammo. Pic for attention.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't really like the company but I think Troy's Alpha FF rails,Battlerails, and Drop-In rails fit the standard barrel nut.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Like you said, not very many options. I can only think of the same 3.

My vote. The MI rail, I believe they have a code for wevo members

Downloads
    Uploads
    What length ? Has to be a 12?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What length ? Has to be a 12?
    It's a middy system. I actually have a C4 10" rail that I could install, and I plan to mess with it more tomorrow. My concern is that the gas block will be really close to the end of the rail (on the bottom). On a 10" rail, I typically have my left index finger wrapped around the end, so I'm concerned about heat/burning of said finger.

Otherwise, it doesn't have to be 12", but more than 12" is a waste of weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might have a 12” C4 laying around. I’ll check and get back to you after the weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Word. No rush. I appreciate the effort.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rev II lol

Samson Manufacturing uses standard barrel nuts

The Rainier branded Evolution rails by Samson also use a standard nut (I have one) but I don’t think the new generation does...the older ones might be long gone by now. Shame since they’re great rails but MLOK attachments are much more simple

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Rev II lol

Samson Manufacturing uses standard barrel nuts
    Everyone is a comedian.

Looks like those Samson rails are pretty heavy, which puts the MI rails in the lead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any reason why you have to stay with the GI barrel nut? If it's purely a cost consideration, there are a couple of handguards that are going to be cheaper than the MI options, such as the ALG or LaRue, though they won't have full quad rails.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Any reason why you have to stay with the GI barrel nut? If it's purely a cost consideration, there are a couple of handguards that are going to be cheaper than the MI options, such as the ALG or LaRue, though they won't have full quad rails.
    The upper is a 5.45 upper and has had several thousand rounds of 7n6 fired through it. I'm not entirely convinced that I can remove the muzzle device (it might be seized) without a lot of effort. The barrel nut might be in better shape (I'm guessing it is), but it might be stubborn as well. Honestly, I'm trying to minimize the pain of parts removal and also minimize the waste of money on parts when this thing finally does die, which admittedly is taking longer than expected.

I got distracted with life today, so didn't break out the C4 10" rail. When I do, I'll see if that might solve the issue with no additional cost, I just think the gas block will be too close to the end of the rail for finger comfort.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I got distracted with life today, so didn't break out the C4 10" rail. When I do, I'll see if that might solve the issue with no additional cost, I just think the gas block will be too close to the end of the rail for finger comfort.
    Doesn't look like the C4 10" is going to work with a middy gas block. Given my self-imposed limitations, looks like it might be MI.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I might have a 12” C4 laying around. I’ll check and get back to you after the weekend.
    Alms for the poor, good sir.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just checked the rail pile and found a 12” C4 (actual 12.5”). I’ll never part with my C4 cut-out, but already have enough other quads. PM me if UW comes up dry.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    I just checked the rail pile and found a 12” C4 (actual 12.5”). I’ll never part with my C4 cut-out, but already have enough other quads. PM me if UW comes up dry.
    Yeah, I just checked, I'm dry...

gator, if you want a free CMR or a Midwest Combat rail I can give you one, but I know you didn't want to get all involved with removing the barrel nut.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice offers fellas